Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seeker105401

Fractal design Define R5 mods

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good day LTT forum!

 

It has been quite a long time since I have been here. I recently ran into the singularity computers youtube channel which has inspired me to take a look at modding away some of the gripes I have about my case. I live in south africa, not too far from Johannesburg (1 hour drive). This is very important, it means that online options like amazon and such are prohibitively expensive usually.

 

The main issues:

  • I want to turn the front USB 2.0 into a USB 3.0
  • I want to mod the front panel to allow 3 - 120mm fans to be installed there.
  • I want to individually sleeve all the front panel connectors while I am modding the USB 2.0 section using PET sleeving.
  • I Want to make a Power supply shroud as my current psu is ugly. In progress learning how to individually sleeve those cables.

My questions:

  1. Where do I find any sort of logic board for USB 3.0 headers. I know how to solder but I do not know where to get those parts.
  2. Would a drill with a 120mm hole punch work for an aluminum panel?
  3. Where do modders usually get PET or para-cord sleeving? I would assume that a hobby shop would be a good place to start.
  4. Depending on the look that I am going for I might just cut 2 aluminum panels and then screw them together using a elbow join at a few spots. I will investigate whether any hardware stores near me have tools that can be used to bend aluminum nicely.
  5. Where should I look to go buy heat shrink? Would it be in an electrical hardware store?

 

 

If you read this, thank you. I am just doing some excessive research for my build. I want to make it something that I can be extremely proud of and maybe include my dad in the build process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, seeker105401 said:

Good day LTT forum!

 

It has been quite a long time since I have been here. I recently ran into the singularity computers youtube channel which has inspired me to take a look at modding away some of the gripes I have about my case. I live in south africa, not too far from Johannesburg (1 hour drive). This is very important, it means that online options like amazon and such are prohibitively expensive usually.

 

The main issues:

  • I want to turn the front USB 2.0 into a USB 3.0
  • I want to mod the front panel to allow 3 - 120mm fans to be installed there.
  • I want to individually sleeve all the front panel connectors while I am modding the USB 2.0 section using PET sleeving.
  • I Want to make a Power supply shroud as my current psu is ugly. In progress learning how to individually sleeve those cables.

My questions:

  1. Where do I find any sort of logic board for USB 3.0 headers. I know how to solder but I do not know where to get those parts.
  2. Would a drill with a 120mm hole punch work for an aluminum panel?
  3. Where do modders usually get PET or para-cord sleeving? I would assume that a hobby shop would be a good place to start.
  4. Depending on the look that I am going for I might just cut 2 aluminum panels and then screw them together using a elbow join at a few spots. I will investigate whether any hardware stores near me have tools that can be used to bend aluminum nicely.
  5. Where should I look to go buy heat shrink? Would it be in an electrical hardware store?

 

 

If you read this, thank you. I am just doing some excessive research for my build. I want to make it something that I can be extremely proud of and maybe include my dad in the build process.

sounds like  the questions you all ready no what to do. when it comes to modding its not cheap so

 

for usb 3.0 you can buy a pci card. no one no what case you got and there wont be upgrade parts for it. not saying an electronics service  can make you one at an cost thow but you already said you want it cheap.

 

most stuff is from online, try look round locally first thow.

 

there are many many youtube videos on how to cut a fan hole.

Edited by thrasher_565
Link to post
Share on other sites

i have an R5 as well. three 120mm fans don't really move that much air than the two 140mm fans it has in front. Adding a front fan would literally cut into the optical drive bays. You also wouldn't have that "new" fan filtered. I use the front fans and the two bottom, which are filtered as well. Honestly, how much air do you need to have it come in? 

 

For sleeving, you can buy a lot of material from electronic supply, or amazon. I guess you will know better what is local to you than anyone here will. Online typically is cheaper in addition to saved time. but again, you should know that better than us strangers. 

 

Does your board have a second USB 3.0 port? 

 

You probably can buy or build something. But for the future I rather add a USB-C (if your board has that). You also could add a USB port that installs in the 5.25" bay. since the case has the door, looks of that matter less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

i have an R5 as well. three 120mm fans don't really move that much air than the two 140mm fans it has in front. Adding a front fan would literally cut into the optical drive bays. You also wouldn't have that "new" fan filtered. I use the front fans and the two bottom, which are filtered as well. Honestly, how much air do you need to have it come in? 

 

For sleeving, you can buy a lot of material from electronic supply, or amazon. I guess you will know better what is local to you than anyone here will. Online typically is cheaper in addition to saved time. but again, you should know that better than us strangers. 

 

Does your board have a second USB 3.0 port? 

 

You probably can buy or build something. But for the future I rather add a USB-C (if your board has that). You also could add a USB port that installs in the 5.25" bay. since the case has the door, looks of that matter less. 

I really like the aesthetic of triple fans in the front. It is not really relevant how much air is being pushed but rather aesthetic. Though the two included fans are dying at the moment and I am going to go get 4 corsair AF120mm fans because I have a local guy who has a reasonable rate.

 

Thanks for the advice. The motherboard I am upgrading to has usb 3.0, might have usb 3.1, I do not really mind if I dont have front usb-c as that would be a difficult mod to toold out a new panel. Maybe I can just add the connector and keep the current paneling there with a usb c on the side I guess?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

sounds like  the questions you all ready no what to do. when it comes to modding its not cheap so

 

for usb 3.0 you can buy a pci card. no one no what case you got and there wont be upgrade parts for it. not saying an electronics service  can make you one at an cost thow but you already said you want it cheap.

 

most stuff is from online, try look round locally first thow.

 

there are many many youtube videos on how to cut a fan hole.

Sorry I really have not posted in 5 years I believe. I have a fractal design define r5. I didnt know that pci cards existed that provided internal connectors? I don't mind spending money on the mods, amazon and import tariffs are brutal in south Africa. $12 item becomes 36$ because of import fees.

 

Thanks for your time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, seeker105401 said:

Sorry I really have not posted in 5 years I believe. I have a fractal design define r5. I didnt know that pci cards existed that provided internal connectors? I don't mind spending money on the mods, amazon and import tariffs are brutal in south Africa. $12 item becomes 36$ because of import fees.

 

Thanks for your time!

i think the r5 all ready has 3x 120mm fan? but i see you want to add your own holes so you can see the fans. you can use a big hole saw but there probably expensive and if your only going to do that one case its not needed but it should be a clean fast cut. dermal, jigsaw are options too.

 

hears the problem im seeing that if you cant buy from ammazon then you would have to look online on other stores to find parts. i don't no whats advable for you so that on you.

 

if your new mb has internal usb 3,0 there are adapters but any links are going to be from ammazon so there no point. what about aliexpress that be cheaper then ammazon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

i think the r5 all ready has 3x 120mm fan? but i see you want to add your own holes so you can see the fans. you can use a big hole saw but there probably expensive and if your only going to do that one case its not needed but it should be a clean fast cut. dermal, jigsaw are options too.

 

hears the problem im seeing that if you cant buy from ammazon then you would have to look online on other stores to find parts. i don't no whats advable for you so that on you.

 

if your new mb has internal usb 3,0 there are adapters but any links are going to be from ammazon so there no point. what about aliexpress that be cheaper then ammazon.

I am replacing the 2x 140mm fans that came with the case. They never really kept the system cool, ambient in my home office is 28C on a cold summers day. Has been as high as 32C.

 

I have found some local online stores that have what I need, I am also going to start hitting up the local hardware stores tomorrow to see if they have sleeving or heatshrink. I can get from aliexpress, I saw some internal connectors that look like they will work. Aliexpress stackable usb 3.0

 

I am currently on the fence trying to figure out if I will need a fan controller (the case has an integrated 3 fan hub, I would like it to be pwm but then  I would need this) since it would be 4 system fans, 1 of which would plug into the motherboard and something like an AIO would be easy if it were a fractal design s36 since the fan cables are put into a single connector.

 

I am just in the pre-planning stage right now, all your guy's answers have been very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, seeker105401 said:

I am replacing the 2x 140mm fans that came with the case. They never really kept the system cool, ambient in my home office is 28C on a cold summers day. Has been as high as 32C.

 

I have found some local online stores that have what I need, I am also going to start hitting up the local hardware stores tomorrow to see if they have sleeving or heatshrink. I can get from aliexpress, I saw some internal connectors that look like they will work. Aliexpress stackable usb 3.0

 

I am currently on the fence trying to figure out if I will need a fan controller (the case has an integrated 3 fan hub, I would like it to be pwm but then  I would need this) since it would be 4 system fans, 1 of which would plug into the motherboard and something like an AIO would be easy if it were a fractal design s36 since the fan cables are put into a single connector.

 

I am just in the pre-planning stage right now, all your guy's answers have been very helpful, I really appreciate it.

ya that looks about right. the thing with having a solid front is the air has to do a 90 before going in to the case and some case don't give a good inch in front of the fan for air flow. if they are stock fans most normally replace them anyway so lot of fans that come with the case arnt that grate.

 

the other thing is the mesh also lowers performance and not having enough air gaps for air. im guessing fracta is and ok company when it come to these problems so might not be as bad as what i think.

 

ya if you only have 4 fans they should be fine off one header but look in your manual will tell you what the max amps is or that cheap fan hub should work too. i got 4 of them and at first i thought the pwm dint work on it but i was testing on a old mb that dint use pwm even thow it was a 4 pin only voltage controlled.

 

i decided to go with Phanteks Universal Fan Controller as it has alot of amps per header and i have ALOT of fans in my build. but like 99% people don't build like me...

Edited by thrasher_565
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×