Galaxy Note9 has never update the firmware

I bought a used Note 9 Model name SM-N960U a little over a year ago. 

Running Android 9 baseband version N960USQU1CSAA. Security patch level January 1,2019. (Still stuck on this version). 

When I ask it to update (via the settings) the phone states it is up to date. 

When I tried Samsung's Smart Switch, it states the software is up to date: SAA(TMB)

The phone boots to the annoying T-Mobile but I am running on the Verizon partner Total Wireless.  

I would prefer to keep running Samsung's firmware because I use Samsung Pay. 

I have 69 gb of my 128 gb of storage free. (nice)

I have not tried anything else. When I search for help people are saying take it to "Best Buy" or "Contact your Carrier" both the options are not available to me. 

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note9/firmware/#SM-N960U

It's probably T-Mobile, that hasn't released the updates to the public. The link above contains the firmwares released for your phone. You may have to do a clean install, but you can install a newer one from there.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note9/firmware/#SM-N960U

It's probably T-Mobile, that hasn't released the updates to the public. The link above contains the firmwares released for your phone. You may have to do a clean install, but you can install a newer one from there.

I need more guidance, I have not updated a consumer firmware in over 5 years and I do not want to brick my phone. 

What is PDA vs CSC?

Do I need to stay with T-Mobile firmware? (I hate the annoying boot sound). Could I use a stock unbranded firmware? 

Is it save to assume TMB must stand for T-Mobile?

Will I get updates after I clean install the phone?

Do I need to worry about upgrade paths? (for example I need to update to 9.x before I update to the latest 10?)

Which version should I pick?

2 hours ago, CaffeineMan said:

I need more guidance, I have not updated a consumer firmware in over 5 years and I do not want to brick my phone. 

What is PDA vs CSC?

Do I need to stay with T-Mobile firmware? (I hate the annoying boot sound). Could I use a stock unbranded firmware? 

Is it save to assume TMB must stand for T-Mobile?

Will I get updates after I clean install the phone?

Do I need to worry about upgrade paths? (for example I need to update to 9.x before I update to the latest 10?)

Which version should I pick?

I can't answer them all for you, I haven't used Samsung devices since Note 3 (mostly because they don't offer Snapdragon variants in EU and Exynos is crap). XDA-Developers (along with some searching on the Internet) might be more helpful for you.

From what I remember:

- PDA is the build number, CSC is the country-specific code.

- TMB is T-Mobile, yes.

- No, you don't need to stay with T-Mobile firmware. I am not sure if and how it affects warranty though, if that's something you care about.
- Yes, you will get updates, but for the region/carrier that you choose. Not fully sure about upgrade paths - if you are gonna do a clean install, most likely you don't.

- Generally, the newer the better. Though in the old days there used to be some differences - sometimes newer firmware did not include all features from the older one. Searching probably gives you more information.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+