Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnonimFan

Who uses a modem

Who uses modems  

1 member has voted

  1. 1. Do you use a modem

    • I use a modem for old internet
      0
    • I use a modem for my main internet connection(thats dial-up)
    • I don't use a modem
      0
  2. 2. What modem are you using ?(if you using one)

    • old Trust Communicator 33k6
      0
    • Cisco EPC3212(my modem)
      0
    • somthing else
  3. 3. What router are you using?

    • I use tp-link one
      0
    • SOmthing else


Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I use a modem(bc i needed one ). Its a newer modem so Dial-up not works on it for some reason.

 

Do you have a modem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Modem is for cable (coax) as well and is just something that modulates and demodulates signal. It is not limited to DSL or dial-up.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure anyone connected to the internet is using a modem from my understanding. You wouldn't be sitting here chatting with us if you didn't. 


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlackManINC said:

Pretty sure anyone connected to the internet is using a modem from my understanding. You wouldn't be sitting here chatting with us if you didn't. 

Well fiber or some form of wireless connectivity (4G, 5G, WiMAX, etc) doesn't involve the use of a modem.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Well fiber or some form of wireless connectivity (4G, 5G, WiMAX, etc) doesn't involve the use of a modem.

Huh? I have a fiber with a modem?


I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

 

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

  • NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Well fiber or some form of wireless connectivity (4G, 5G, WiMAX, etc) doesn't involve the use of a modem.

Well, yeah true, that stuff works off the cell towers basically. Not ideal for internet connection, especially since you get charged extra for using 4G/5G. 


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Huh? I have a fiber with a modem?

🤔 So you have a fiber network wired all the way to your modem and even your PC?  Usually the fiber stops at the service box outside your home, with it being coaxial the rest of the way to your modem, at least in America. 

 


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlackManINC said:

So you have a fiber network wired all the way to your modem? Usually the fiber stops at the service box outside your home, with it being coaxial the rest of the way to your modem, at least in America. 

 

image.thumb.jpg.23e606bb737a88f01748c54afcc7ea60.jpg

I live in the US. This it what is right under my desk.


I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

 

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

  • NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

image.thumb.jpg.23e606bb737a88f01748c54afcc7ea60.jpg

I live in the US. This it what is right under my desk.

🤔 Interesting, not sure if its really necessary for most peoples needs. An ethernet cable would suffice. 


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

 

I live in the US. This it what is right under my desk.

That's an ONT or gateway.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Also beacuse EVERYBODY has a modem, I want to test dial-up. But I it gives me an error when I try to connect to it

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

That's an ONT or gateway.

Yeah, optical network terminal is what I have, except its setup on the side of my house instead of inside, couldn't think of the actual name of it.


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AnonimFan said:

Is that beacuse I dont have a number for dial-up?

 

Do you have a service provider who offers dial up? Because at the end of the day you need an ISP and I know even know if any ISP's in the US even offer Dialup, Im sure there might be a few. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Do you have a service provider who offers dial up? Because at the end of the day you need an ISP and I know even know if any ISP's in the US even offer Dialup, Im sure there might be a few. 

I live EU so I dont know if there's any, But letme try without any ISP(that will not work)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnonimFan said:

But letme try without any ISP(that will not work)

NO it won't work. You need to have an IP address issued, those are owned by ISP's. You specifically need a phone company who does Dialup, as well as a phone line connected to your home. 

 

1 minute ago, AnonimFan said:

Windows10 says when i try to connect that IT CANT FINT A MODEM

If you didn't install a dialup card yourself then you dont have a dialup modem. Dialup hasn't been well important for ages. So motherboard makers dont include a built on Dialup modem. I dont even know if Windows 10 can even use Dialup, not sure if those features are still built in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

NO it won't work. You need to have an IP address issued, those are owned by ISP's. You specifically need a phone company who does Dialup, as well as a phone line connected to your home. 

 

If you didn't install a dialup card yourself then you dont have a dialup modem. Dialup hasn't been well important for ages. So motherboard makers dont include a built on Dialup modem. I dont even know if Windows 10 can even use Dialup, not sure if those features are still built in. 

That I NEED a dialup modem card, WHAT?

 

heres a pic of the error:

mnj.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnonimFan said:

That I NEED a dialup modem card, WHAT?

 

heres a pic of the error:

mnj.png

Firstly I would not be spending money on this endeavor. Because you HAVE TO find a service provider. You dont magically dial in and have internet. This is not magic, its technology. First thing is to find a provider. Then you can think about wasting money on a dialup modem. Keep in mind most modern websites are likely to be unusable on Dialup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

ok right, but after i found a ISP that can provide dialup then spend money on a card, does it will work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AnonimFan said:

Heres my modem:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is what you're NOT understanding. Modems are Internet type specific. Cable modems won't work with Dialup, DSL modems won't work for Dialup, etc. You need a DIALUP modem. These can be an internet card or external box. You then need a device that is capable of using Dialup. Im not sure if Windows 10 even has the capabilities anymore, because Dialup is DEAD for the most part. Then you need to find a phone company that can provide you with the service. Remember Dialup uses the same phone lines as your telephones and you cant use both services at the same time. So if you're using Dialup, and someone calls you, you're not going to get that call. Furthermore if you use a cable company for phone service, to my understanding dialup service will NOT work. You need a POTS line for Dialup service. 

 

I dont understand why your trying to get dialup working. The fact is most of the internet won't be able to be used because sites are more bloated now days. Also are you really going to pay an ISP for dialup service? You really going to pay for a modem? Not to mention I cant confirm if this will even work on Windows 10, as Im using a Mac right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Here is what you're NOT understanding. Modems are Internet type specific. Cable modems won't work with Dialup, DSL modems won't work for Dialup, etc. You need a DIALUP modem. These can be an internet card or external box. You then need a device that is capable of using Dialup. Im not sure if Windows 10 even has the capabilities anymore, because Dialup is DEAD for the most part. Then you need to find a phone company that can provide you with the service. Remember Dialup uses the same phone lines as your telephones and you cant use both services at the same time. So if you're using Dialup, and someone calls you, you're not going to get that call. Furthermore if you use a cable company for phone service, to my understanding dialup service will NOT work. You need a POTS line for Dialup service. 

 

I dont understand why your trying to get dialup working. The fact is most of the internet won't be able to be used because sites are more bloated now days. Also are you really going to pay an ISP for dialup service? You really going to pay for a modem? Not to mention I cant confirm if this will even work on Windows 10, as Im using a Mac right now. 

As you said I use win10, But if windows 10 dosen't have the features for that, i guess windows XP can do dialup. Im endig my thinking of using dialup for a day so i think that i would just get a Trust Communicator 33k6 beacuse that can do dialup. Im ending this here for planning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×