XMP 2.0 fails on ASRock motherboard with "Failed to boot" message

Hello, i am trying to enable XMP on ASRock Z490 Extreme 4 motherboard for G.SKILL TridentZ 3600Mhz memory as by default it runs at 2133Mhz but whenever i do that my PC won't post for about 30 seconds and then will show me an error that says:

"The system failed to boot several times before

You may press F2 ot DEL to enter SETUP to reconfigure your system

Or UEFI will continue to boot after X seconds"

My ram is placed in dual channel mode (A2 and B2 slots), i tried swapping them around, and i tried manually putting in 3600Mhz and 1.35V but i still get the same problem. (There's no way at least not that i know of where you can actually disable some of the stuff in ASRock BIOS as for the most part there is either Enabled or Auto option instead Enabled or Disabled which is very confusing, hence even when XMP is not enabled it says Auto instead Disabled so i have no idea what's actually enabled and what's not). I tried updating BIOS to the latest as well version but that didn't change anything.

PC Specs:

PSU - Gigabyte P750GM

CPU - Intel Core i7-10700K 

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz

Motherboard - ASRock Z490 Extreme 4

First of all clear the cmos, then you could bump the vccio/sa voltage to 1.1-.2 and dram to 1.35  then go for something like 3000 and work your way up to 3600 with xmp, and check for stability. 

you could also update the bios. 

1 hour ago, AnonimFan said:

turn off xmp

??

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

First of all clear the cmos, then you could bump the vccio/sa voltage to 1.1-.2 and dram to 1.35  then go for something like 3000 and work your way up to 3600 with xmp, and check for stability. 

you could also update the bios. 

??

As i said in the original post, i tried updating BIOS, as for CMOS, i tried clearing it too, resetting it to default settings etc, will try changing it gradually as you suggested though, just was expecting it to work as intended as its not overlocking per se, just using memory profile that came with this memory out of the box.

Asrock boards are notorious for having shit memory compatibility, from what I've seen.

Honestly, I would return the board. It's got some very odd throttling behaviour if you overclock anything over a 10600K in it, and it's just not great overall.

But to try and maybe fix the issue, enable the XMP profile then turn the frequency on the memory to 2933MHz. Run something like Memtest86 to check stability, then bump the frequency up to 3000/3200MHz, and check for stability again.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, CAMINOonPC said:

just using memory profile that came with this memory out of the box

I mean technically anything over 2933 for the 10700k is an overclock and is not guaranteed, but 3600 should be quite easy to achieve on intel's cpus. 

you could as i said bump the vccio and sa voltage to 1.1-.2 and dram to 1.35 and work your way up to 3600 with xmp enabled.  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

21 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I mean technically anything over 2933 for the 10700k is an overclock and is not guaranteed, but 3600 should be quite easy to achieve on intel's cpus. 

you could as i said bump the vccio and sa voltage to 1.1-.2 and dram to 1.35 and work your way up to 3600 with xmp enabled.  

I got it to work at 3400Mhz with VCCIO set to 1.2V and DRAM set to 1.35V, VCCSA is on Auto because if I set it to 1.2V manually it won’t work, while 3400Mhz is fine, any tips on pushing it to its advertised 3600Mhz?

any tips on pushing it to its advertised 3600Mhz?

First you could test stability and check if 3400 is stable and you could also try one stick at a time and check. 

I'm not sure but iirc the board uses a T-topology, i could be wrong, but like what @Mateyyy said it could also be bad memory compatibility. 

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

First you could test stability and check if 3400 is stable and you could also try one stick at a time and check. 

I'm not sure but iirc the board uses a T-topology, i could be wrong, but like what @Mateyyy said it could also be bad memory compatibility. 

Managed to get it stable, with 3500Mhz with 1.35V DRAM and 1.1V VCCIO, won't do 3600 under any circumstaces, which is weird but i guess i can live with that 

which is weird but i guess i can live with that 

Yea that is weird since 3600 is generally easy to get with intel cpus, i mean it could also be a board problem as said above, but if you can't get to 3600 no matter what, the difference in performance between 3500 and 3600 is nothing noticeable for the most part.  

Build Log: 

• 3 months later...

I know im quite late to the thread but I have the same board, and same speed memory running into the exact same problem. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but Ill try all the same steps as above and see how I go but im pissed it doesn't work as advetised out of the box. Will prob return the board. 

No one will prob ever see this comment, but if it helps I solved the problem (for me atleast). In the DRAM section of the OC tweaker, Asrock has enabled by default some ram boosting feature (soz forgot what it was called but it should be near the bottom. Just disable this then it will auto resort to what it should be at. Hope this helps, and if you need I can try and find the exact setting.

• 3 months later...
On 12/25/2020 at 10:28 AM, BUKO said:

No one will prob ever see this comment, but if it helps I solved the problem (for me atleast). In the DRAM section of the OC tweaker, Asrock has enabled by default some ram boosting feature (soz forgot what it was called but it should be near the bottom. Just disable this then it will auto resort to what it should be at. Hope this helps, and if you need I can try and find the exact setting.

Running into same issue,help which setting please