Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manphius

Slim PC - Graphics Card Help

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys from Portugal. 1st time here and 1st time building a PC.

I'm a couch gamer and i'm using an 2016 "gaming laptop" with a 1080p 144hz monitor. I was looking at performance numbers and i realize my laptop is as good as an 2010-2011 desktop. This is ridiculous so its time to upgrade.

My idea is to build a slim pc (so i can hide it next to the couch) with 600-700€ budget. When looking at slim cases i realized they are 110mm width? while graphic cards usually are larger than that.

So my question is, is there any good and cheap graphics card that i can mount horizontally or do i have to go vertical. If i have to go vertical, will i have problem with airflow? What about power suply. Is there any limitations there?

Exemple of a possible case

Btw, before the nvidia 3000 series announcement, i was thinking in going with a ryzen 2700 + gtx 1660 + 16gb of ram. Now, can i go zen 2 (after zen 3 launch) with an rtx 2060?

PS: I'm not trying to get max performance with max FPS. I just want a nice casual gaming experience. (i know the new consoles are ideal for that but i want a PC)

Thanks for the replys in advance

You're either talking about those OEM things that need a half-height GPU, in which case you're stuck with a GTX 1650, or a small case like the A4 SFX or the Velka 3, which both take 175mm GPUs.

Or the Node 202, which can fit a 310mm gpu.

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

youll need to take a deep dive into SFF cases which have been extremely popular lately and are kinda expensive. most aftermarket cases that are very narrow use a sandwich design with a riser cable for the card so that it doesnt stick out from the motherboard. optiplexes are the most common slim pcs that require a half height gpu, limiting you to a 1650 or 1050. so unless youre ready to spend ~200 bucks or more on a narrow SFF case that probably isnt in stock, or you wanna game on an optiplex which is suboptimal, youll need to stick with cases that fit normal height gpus directly on the motherboard. the lian li TU150 is a nice little case for an average sized itx build, readly available and reasonably priced. the jonsbo t8 is more sff sized at ~8 liters while fitting a full height gpu but its still a bit expensive and hard to find. there are tons of other options as well

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

5 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

Pretty sure a Node 202 negates all of this. It's inexpensive, slim, fits large GPUs.

The TU150 is a fat box.

ALIENWARE 13R3

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The TU150 is a fat box.

relatable

the node is pretty decent, has cable management issues, cpu cooler limitations, bad airflow, that sorta thing. seems its easily modded to fix a lot of its problems and it could be a good choice if you really want super slim. 

here's what id do within the given budget:

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you for the replys. For the place i want to put it in, the slim form factor is mandatory.

But i got the awser i was looking for. For half height it must be 1650 or 1050 from what i could understand. So if i want anything higher than that i must dig for the perfect case. The node 202 seams like a decent option.

Just one last thing. Do you think nvidia (or amd) will realease and updated 1650 (2650 maybe?) in the near future. Or is it unlikely?