Hi I just want to ask how to migrate or transfer my OS on an SSD? cause I want to transfer my OS on my 512gb SSD and I'm affraid of losing my files can you guys help me???? :D xD

what size hdd do you have and how full is it? if the space used right now is less than 512gb you could clone the existing install to the ssd.

She/Her

1 minute ago, FireFox2015 said:

Hi I just want to ask how to migrate or transfer my OS on an SSD? cause I want to transfer my OS on my 512gb SSD and I'm affraid of losing my files can you guys help me???? :D xD

Macrium Reflect is an easy and quick way of getting your stuff transferred over to the SSD.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If your old drive is same capacity (512GB) or smaller then you can just clone the drive. However if is bigger then you'll need to delete/uninstall programs/games so the used space is smaller than your ssd.

Otherwise just reinstall windows to your ssd and copy/reinstall what you want on the drive

4 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

However if is bigger then you'll need to delete/uninstall programs/games so the used space is smaller than your ssd.

Most cloning software does resize data partition on the go if needed. Only if used space on the original is more than the capacity of the destination drive you must delete files to be able to clone... though thats obvious. If you meant that then I digress.

Also there are lots of options when choosing cloning software: https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/best-hard-drive-disk-cloning-software/

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Nope, untrue. Most cloning software does resize data partition on the go if needed.

Macrium Reflect, which I mentioned, does, indeed, allow for resizing partitions as well on-the-fly, but it can't magically make all the old data fit on the new drive, if all the old data is more than the new drive has space on it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Macrium Reflect, which I mentioned, does, indeed, allow for resizing partitions as well on-the-fly, but it can't magically make all the old data fit on the new drive, if all the old data is more than the new drive has space on it.

Yup, I added that to my previous message, though that seems obvious that you can't funnel to a drive that has smaller capacity than the amount of data from the original drive.

I edit my posts more often than not

if you got a samsung SSD, they got their own cloning tool that's pretty much flawless.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Macrium Reflect is an easy and quick way of getting your stuff transferred over to the SSD.

I recommend sector by sector cloning.

AOMEI Partition Assistant is good as well.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

is it free?

Just now, FireFox2015 said:

is it free?

Yes

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, FireFox2015 said:

is it free?

There's free and paid, but the free version is enough for moving your stuff over to a new drive. You don't need the paid version for that. I've used Macrium Reflect myself just a couple of months ago to move mother-in-law's stuff from failing HDD to an SSD.

This is the SSD that I have where I would transfer my OS on my Laptop.

119094262_311600729943088_8956319865740344504_n.jpg

119154176_1365852186954119_8328876514378562734_n.jpg

What I use this tool from Lenovo? Since my laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 310 14IKB or is this just for my files

image.thumb.png.5385826a12498cc80642a7ee73255c53.png

On 9/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, FireFox2015 said:

What I use this tool from Lenovo? Since my laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 310 14IKB or is this just for my files

image.thumb.png.5385826a12498cc80642a7ee73255c53.png

You already get proper answers. Use Macrium Reflect.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Aniko said:

And obviously if you have more than half-a-gig in use on the platter you can't clone it since there's not enough room.

It depends on the size of both drives,and you can shrink the OS partition of the higher capacity drive to be smaller than the destination.

You just need the number of sectors from the first sector of the source drive to the last sector of the last partition to be lower than the total amount of the destination.

Then you can do a Sector by sector clone with Macrium Reflect (It will let you even if the destination has less sectors than the source,most of the other software solutions don't have the option to do so)

I have done that myself dozens of times,worked every time.

It's nice to have you here,your input highlights problems i didn't talk about,and made me write a much clearer explanation.