High idle temps with X73 Kraken on Ryzen 7 3700X

Hi. Before you say anything I know it's a common subject and I've been looking for a solution for some time. The thing is, I don't really want to mess with the voltage in BIOS as I just simply want my stuff to work without doing that. From what I've seen it's like a lottery to me. Some people have their 3700x cooled to 30-40°C with stock coolers and the rest - like me - have issues caused by God knows what.

So basically I got myself a newly bought build and am already struggling with the temps of my CPU. At first I was using a stock cooler Wraith Prism and the idle temps were jumping from 50°C to 70°C. Couldn't quite figure out why. After some research and reapplying of the thermal paste I decided to buy NZXT Kraken X73 360. It's a bit of an overkill if I'm not going to overclock anything, I know, but I can still refund it within 10 days. After setting it up the temps are flactuating between 50-60°C idle most of the time at the ~2150 RPM of the fans. In the Prime95 stress test it goes up to 81°C after 10 minutes. In NZXT Cam I have it set on performence mode, configured for liquid temps. I'm using AMD Balanced plan. The thermal paste I used is be quiet! DC1 and that's the only one I used for both stock and an aio cooling.

All drivers are up to date. (chipset, BIOS, etc.)

It's surely better than the Wraith Prism, but I'm just not quite happy with the temps in general. Others having this setup say that the temps won't go higher than 65-75°C. X73's suppose to be more efficient, right? I find these temps quite concerning as I don't want to kill my cpu with such idle temps on a long run.

Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming PLUS
MSI GTX 960 (old piece of gear, will be changing that)
G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz
Corsair 850W RMx
NZXT Kraken X73 360
Silentium Signum SG1X

6 minutes ago, Crosout said:

From what I've seen it's like a lottery to me

It's called the silicon lottery, sounds like you may have got a poor draw. Good news is your idle temps won't hurt the cpu.
Make sure power saving features like amd cool n quiet are enabled in the bios

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Some thoughts I'm having: 

1. Make sure the AIO has the pump set to 100% - or using the AIO pump header on your motherboard
2. Are fans on the radiator getting "suffocated" from a close fan filter?
3a. Right mounting pressure on the CPU
3b. Is the CPU IHS bent a little? Find a peace of glas, put it with the IHS down first, try and spin it. If it keeps spining, the IHS is bent and will not make proper contact with cooler - can be filed down/flat with sandpaper (Jayztwocents have shown this)

18 minutes ago, Crosout said:

I was using a stock cooler Wraith Prism and the idle temps were jumping from 50°C to 70°C.

pretty normal behavior and normal idle temps

19 minutes ago, Crosout said:

In the Prime95 stress test it goes up to 81°C after 10 minutes.

not familiar with prime95, heard it loads CPU more than anything else, i use Cinebench R20 on loop

that said, 81c is high for your CPU, esp stock settings, but not sure if it's normal behaviour for prime95

what voltage does your CPU run at? monitor using Ryzen Master

21 minutes ago, Crosout said:

I find these temps quite concerning as I don't want to kill my cpu with such idle temps on a long run.

those temps are high, but not alarmingly high

so it's fine to use as is, but would be better to find out why it's running at higher temps than expected.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

pretty normal behavior and normal idle temps

not familiar with prime95, heard it loads CPU more than anything else, i use Cinebench R20 on loop

that said, 81c is high for your CPU, esp stock settings, but not sure if it's normal behaviour for prime95

what voltage does your CPU run at? monitor using Ryzen Master

those temps are high, but not alarmingly high

so it's fine to use as is, but would be better to find out why it's running at higher temps than expected.

Prime95 makes the CPU runs 10C+ hotter than Cinebench R20, easy.

,In the same boat switch from an a33 esports with high idle temp around 60 with r5 1600. Thought is was because of the heatpipes on the cooler was highly uneven. But with an h100i v2 same problem.  High ideal temps and with asus motherboard it makes it worse as critical cpu temp 75c it forces fans to 100%.full pump speed and fan speed works to keep temps under 70 No matter what I do with the fan setting it always up and down and up and down just opening a bowser. Something isn't adding up here.

50-60C at idle won't damage the CPU. Many graphics cards have zero-fan until the temperature reaches 55 - 60C.

What is idling? If your PC still have a bunch of things opened, CPU at 3 - 5%? What is the temperature if you close everything, and the CPU only at 0-1% load?

Open Ryzen Master. when the system is idling, most of the cores should be 'sleeping'. Only one or two cores handle the background tasks. Yes, those one, two cores jump up and down a lot in term of clock speed. And the temperature you see is referring to those one/two cores, not the entire CPU. Look a the power draw, 10-15w?

To dissipate 10-15w with a 360mm radiator. You can turn off the fans, probably won't make a difference to the temperature. So, either there is a problem transferring the heat from the CPU die to IHS to the cold plate of the cooler. Or there is a bunch of things working in the back ground using a lot of power. If you see 30, 40w+ when in idling. That will explain the higher than normal temperature.

This is my R5 3600 4.4GHz in idle.

Screenshot .jpg

32 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

,In the same boat switch from an a33 esports with high idle temp around 60 with r5 1600. Thought is was because of the heatpipes on the cooler was highly uneven. But with an h100i v2 same problem.  High ideal temps and with asus motherboard it makes it worse as critical cpu temp 75c it forces fans to 100%.full pump speed and fan speed works to keep temps under 70 No matter what I do with the fan setting it always up and down and up and down just opening a bowser. Something isn't adding up here.

Set the fans so that unless the CPU jumps pass 55C, they stay at idle speed. So the fans won't whine up and down by just opening a browser.

Temperatures seem within normal operating conditions. If you trying to get the load temps lower maybe try removing the glass front panel or use a case with mesh front. Are the fans and radiator both mounted in the main compartment that is not directly in front of the glass front? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W