What's the difference between LCD , LED and OLED TV's

Sayandeep

I have learnt that OLED TV are self lit and each pixel is self lit, while LCD TVs are backlit. But while looking for a new TV I saw TVs branded as "LED". Does this mean "LED" is the backlight technology. If this is so then is "LCD" branding is dead.

9 minutes ago, Sayandeep said:

I have learnt that OLED TV are self lit and each pixel is self lit, while LCD TVs are backlit. But while looking for a new TV I saw TVs branded as "LED". Does this mean "LED" is the backlight technology. If this is so then is "LCD" branding is dead.

LED is the lighting technology used for the LCD backlight in modern LCD displays.

It is in contrast to older LCD TVs which used fluorescent tubes for backlighting. At the time, there were no other types of LCD displays, so we just called them "LCD".

8 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Each is just the different panel Technologies that go into it as well as lighting. LCD is pretty much dead due to cost and weight.

what do you mean by LCD is basically dead? most new screens are lcds, with a few being OLED

LED displys refer to LED backlight LCD displays normally.

LCD and LED are very commonly used back and forth and are used sometimes incorrectly.

LCD, LED and OLED are still very much in common use today.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yeah the LCD/LED is like DPI/CPI thing. Could be confusing and used interchangeably or even wrongly and by marketing. 

So as first mod said really. We still call todays monitors LCD since they are. They're just using better type of backlight but they're LCD none the less. For OLED that's completely different tech yes. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |