A CPU for the 3070/80

I'm planning a new build centered around the 3070 or 3080 RTX cards coming out. My current plan is a Ryzen 7 3700X, but I'm starting to doubt if it'll be enough horsepower to not bottleneck the GPU too much.

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

Obviously a 10900k would be best, but the 10700k will be almost as good. That is what I have. I couldn't find a 10900k in stock. Even with PCIE 3.0, these chips are faster than anything AMD has for gaming.

The  3700X is a pretty reasonable cpu for those graphics cards, what games and refresh rates are you targeting

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The 3700x at higher resolutions should be a nice pair with the 3080/70, but over all it should be fine for the most part. 

If your workload is gaming, you can just go with a 10600k which is pretty decent and performs similarly to the 10700k in games because they don't scale up to 8 cores. 

What board do you already have though? And budget?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

16 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The  3700X is a pretty reasonable cpu for those graphics cards, what games and refresh rates are you targeting

I'm hoping to at least get 120Hz at 1440p, and as a less important note getting 4K at 60fps for my tv

Just here for some fun.

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

13 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

The 3700x at higher resolutions should be a nice pair with the 3080/70, but over all it should be fine for the most part. 

If your workload is gaming, you can just go with a 10600k which is pretty decent and performs similarly to the 10700k in games because they don't scale up to 8 cores. 

What board do you already have though? And budget?

I'm planning on trying to sell my current rig locally, and then trying to build a computer without adding more than $400-500. So my budget (optimistically) would be around $2,000 max. I'm looking at boards with the B450 X470 and X570 chipset, the one I'm looking at now is the MSI B450M Bazooka Max Wi-Fi Micro ATX 

Just here for some fun.

5 minutes ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

I'm hoping to at least get 120Hz at 1440p, and as a less important note getting 4K at 60fps for my tv

120hz in the majority of titles is pretty feasible for the 3700X

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

would be around $2,000 max

name some decent boards: 

for b550, the pro vdh, bazooka are some decent budget options, the tomahawk and the aorus pro and the strix f and the mortar are pretty good.

for x570, the tomahawk and the tuf are pretty decent and the aorus elite is as well. 

Don't bother with x470. but as i said..

14 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

^.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

22 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

name some decent boards: 

for b550, the pro vdh, bazooka are some decent budget options, the tomahawk and the aorus pro and the strix f and the mortar are pretty good.

for x570, the tomahawk and the tuf are pretty decent and the aorus elite is as well. 

Don't bother with x470. but as i said..

^.

My workload is mixed with both gaming, productivity (heavy in multitasking), and editing software. I was looking at some benchmark tests comparing the 3700X with the 10600K and I think I might go with AMD on this one. I just hope I'll be able to OC it to at least 4GHz

Just here for some fun.

Just now, The Blue Cryptid said:

My workload is mixed with both gaming, productivity (heavy in multitasking), and editing software

Ah if that's the case and if it's more multi threaded then yea the 3700x should do the job. 

As I said again, at higher resolutions it should be a nice pair and at 1440p the 3700x should be fine with a 3080. 

Build Log: 

On 9/18/2020 at 11:00 PM, Moonzy said:

3700x or the 10700k is good

Though, what resolution and games? And if you can, wait for zen3 launch

I'm more afraid of the prices that will come with Zen3. But, if their 7 series 4th gen is in my budget come October, then I'm definitely gonna get a Zen3. And I'd have to make sure the MoBo I get is a 500-series

Just here for some fun.

1 minute ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

I'm more afraid of the prices that will come with Zen3. But, if their 7 series 4th gen is in my budget come October, then I'm definitely gonna get a Zen3. And I'd have to make sure the MoBo I get is a 500-series

you can still get the 3700x or 10700k if the price of next gen is too expensive

and you can also look for their new mobo, see what new features they might add

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you can still get the 3700x or 10700k if the price of next gen is too expensive

and you can also look for their new mobo, see what new features they might add

What new motherboard? I don't think AM4 socket motherboards will get a new series (such as B650\X670)

1 minute ago, RaphaNadal said:

What new motherboard? I don't think AM4 socket motherboards will get a new series (such as B650\X670)

-shrug- idk, will know when AMD launches next gen

might have new board, might not have new board

i would imagine them making  a new chipset, even if it's just rebadged x570, just to make sure people get boards with the right bios

or else chaos will ensue

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

-shrug- idk, will know when AMD launches next gen

might have new board, might not have new board

i would imagine them making  a new chipset, even if it's just rebadged x570, just to make sure people get boards with the right bios

or else chaos will ensue

B550 motherboards are actually plenty capable to power the highest-end Zen 3 parts. They are way overbuilt compared to B450, on average.  

Something like a GIgabyte Aorus Pro (if you OC)\Aorus Elite (if you don't OC)\ASRock Steel Legend\ASUS ROG Strix-E\MSI Tomahawk would work amazing, if you have a B350-series AMD chipset or older. 

1 minute ago, RaphaNadal said:

B550 motherboards are actually plenty capable to power the highest-end Zen 3 parts. They are way overbuilt compared to B450, on average. 

yea i didnt say the boards arent capable, hardware wise

but the bios needs to be updated, and asking people to shop for old chipset board for new chips, where the bios might not be updated is just looking for trouble.

sure they can do the "ryzen 4000 ready" badge, but unless you know to look for it, you'll not know about it.

but yea, waiting for the CPU anyways, might as well wait to see if they launch a board, dont fixate on 500 series board only.

25 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea i didnt say the boards arent capable, hardware wise

but the bios needs to be updated, and asking people to shop for old chipset board for new chips, where the bios might not be updated is just looking for trouble.

sure they can do the "ryzen 4000 ready" badge, but unless you know to look for it, you'll not know about it.

but yea, waiting for the CPU anyways, might as well wait to see if they launch a board, dont fixate on 500 series board only.

It makes little sense to release a 600-series motherboard just for AM4 socket to support Zen 3, and confusing if the same chipset were to support both AM4 (for Zen 3) and AM5 (for Zen3+ and other future CPUs). I'm curious to see what happens.

On 9/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, Fasauceome said:

120hz in the majority of titles is pretty feasible for the 3700X

Here's a little mock-up for when the 3080 ever becomes available again:

Just here for some fun.

7 minutes ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

when the 3080 ever becomes available again:

by that time we might have next gen Ryzen, the announcement is coming at the beginning of october so you should wait and see if you can

Primary PC:

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

by that time we might have next gen Ryzen, the announcement is coming at the beginning of october so you should wait and see if you can

Ive heard about that with the 5700U being leaked in some sort of benchmark. I'm definitely waiting for those puppies :)

Just here for some fun.