3200mhz cl14 vs 3600 mhz cl16

Kurive

Hey guys, 
3200mhz cl14 ( 14 14 34 ) vs 3600 mhz cl16 ( 16 16 36 ) same price.. which would be better for intel? 

Basically equivalent, both are seemingly b-die bins, and will OC well, so you can feel safe w/ either. Out of the box performance will also be very similar, but more often than not the 3600 will be ever so slightly better

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

Basically equivalent, both are seemingly b-die bins, and will OC well, so you can feel safe w/ either. Out of the box performance will also be very similar, but more often than not the 3600 will be ever so slightly better

I see, ty very much ❤️

10 minutes ago, Kurive said:

Hey guys, 
3200mhz cl14 ( 14 14 34 ) vs 3600 mhz cl16 ( 16 16 36 ) same price.. which would be better for intel? 

The 3600MHz might be a bit better, thoug neither of them are god teir, what CPU do you have and what do you plan to do with it? Also what size and congifuration (4x8GB, 2x16GB, 4x16GB etc)

Yours faithfully

10 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The 3600MHz might be a bit better, thoug neither of them are god teir, what CPU do you have and what do you plan to do with it? Also what size and congifuration (4x8GB, 2x16GB, 4x16GB etc)

Cpu is 10700k, only for gaming and 2x8GB.

On AMD I'd run the 3200 14-14-14 

Intel 3600 16-16-16 @ 4ghz. 

4 minutes ago, Kurive said:

Cpu is 10700k, only for gaming and 2x8GB.

I'd be surprised if they couldn't do 3733MHz or 3866MHz with a small voltage bump, probably could do 4000MHz if  you pushed them if they're good kits, 10700K is pretty good for IMC's usually.

Yours faithfully

the 3600c16 is a marginally better bin, in games theyre about equal if ya just turn on xmp but occasionally itll favor the 3600 due to the higher transfer rate. should overclock a little better too. although an e die kit from crucial would be similar performance in games for less 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, VeganJoy said:

the 3600c16 is a marginally better bin, in games theyre about equal if ya just turn on xmp but occasionally itll favor the 3600 due to the higher transfer rate. should overclock a little better too. although an e die kit from crucial would be similar performance in games for less 

Your Trident Z kit slapped in my 8700K will do 4ghz at all 16's around 1.50v, maybe a touch more. 

Not bad your tweaking with a ryzen chip 14-15-15-30-288 1.45v Not bad at all! 

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Your Trident Z kit slapped in my 8700K will do 4ghz at all 16's around 1.50v, maybe a touch more. 

Not bad your tweaking with a ryzen chip 14-15-15-30-288 1.45v Not bad at all! 

yeah dual rank dimms helps and hurts, overclock stability hurts a lot more than with single rank but memory interleaving makes it pretty close in straight up bandwidth/latency and 32 gigs is real nice. is 1.5v fine for longevity with b die? seems a bit high and i cant find definitive sources/evidence for what's a safe max voltage 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

yeah dual rank dimms helps and hurts, overclock stability hurts a lot more than with single rank but memory interleaving makes it pretty close in straight up bandwidth/latency and 32 gigs is real nice. is 1.5v fine for longevity with b die? seems a bit high and i cant find definitive sources/evidence for what's a safe max voltage 

Well, 1.5v would be about the max I'd recommend for a daily use, but probably would be wise to actively cool it. Meaning a fan kit right on the memory. 

Don't tell anyone that I'm telling you this secret, cause I might get shot for it. @LinusTech

I've had mine up to 1.9v CL 12-14-14 4000mhz. My board isn't the greatest, and my A2 4267mhz kit is decent, I battle the board (Maximus Hero) and the memory controller which is only good stable at 4300mhz if I want to do any benchmarking (competitively) and really rake in the bandwidth. 

Now the funny thing you don't see mentioned much about memory overclocking is how important the cpu frequency is. You increase bandwidth and slightly lower latency when overclocking the processor. So it's a hand in hand road block. I'm trying to run 5.4ghz while hammering on the IMC. Doesn't always work out well. This is where a terrible blue screen can trash an OS.

So TLDR, yeah under the right circumstances, 1.5v on B-Die would probably be ok for long term use. 

Suggested Ram temp at OC is under 40c 

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well, 1.5v would be about the max I'd recommend for a daily use, but probably would be wise to actively cool it. Meaning a fan kit right on the memory. 

Don't tell anyone that I'm telling you this secret, cause I might get shot for it. @LinusTech

I've had mine up to 1.9v CL 12-14-14 4000mhz. My board isn't the greatest, and my A2 4267mhz kit is decent, I battle the board (Maximus Hero) and the memory controller which is only good stable at 4300mhz if I want to do any benchmarking (competitively) and really rake in the bandwidth. 

Now the funny thing you don't see mentioned much about memory overclocking is how important the cpu frequency is. You increase bandwidth and slightly lower latency when overclocking the processor. So it's a hand in hand road block. I'm trying to run 5.4ghz while hammering on the IMC. Doesn't always work out well. This is where a terrible blue screen can trash an OS.

So TLDR, yeah under the right circumstances, 1.5v on B-Die would probably be ok for long term use. 

Suggested Ram temp at OC is under 40c 

wew 1.9v? lmao howd they not catch on fire?

i know memory overclocking affect cpu temps which can lead to instability in some scenarios, is that part of what youre mentioning?

also, pretty sure my ram hits 42-43C under load, idle is at 38-39. a little fan directly on em would look dorky, and ive got every fan slot on my meshify filled. theres a 140mm right above em as exhaust and a 140mm intake a few inches from em on the front. maybe i could just run the fans faster lol, i keep everything around 60% ish due to noise

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

wew 1.9v? lmao howd they not catch on fire?

i know memory overclocking affect cpu temps which can lead to instability in some scenarios, is that part of what youre mentioning?

also, pretty sure my ram hits 42-43C under load, idle is at 38-39. a little fan directly on em would look dorky, 

Depends on what part you inquire. Adding IMC voltage creates more heat. Components become unstable when running too hot outside the stock parameters. 

And they didn't catch on fire because I used a pair of "dorky" 60mm fans. It was a pretty simple proceedure. I didn't even see them, I was looking at my monitor the whole time.... lol.