Windows 10 October 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW

GoodBytes
27 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Huh, apparently it was such a small update, that it updated within 5 minutes...

I wasn't planning on doing it, but finished my work for today and figured if anything went wrong, I had 24 hours to fix it...

All went as planned.

That is because you already have the update :D

Microsoft was partially (of course) pushing the update in small segments. But everything new/updated, would be disabled.

I forgot where I read this, but they mentioned this... forgot if it was in some post they made, or at BUILD even earlier in the year...

It installed the new Edge browser, with shortcut on my desktop on taskbar. Removed those promptly. I have no use for a browser that kills itself when you close the last tab. Because maybe, just maybe, I want to go back to the homepage after closing everything and not close the God damn fucking Browser!! Can't believe this is a "feature" to so many browsers theses days... Who seriously asked for that ? "Oh I see you've closed the last tab, that means you're done with this browsing session right? I know you didn't specifically press the X button at the top right of the window, but that's okay, I got you fam". At least Vivaldi doesn't pull this trash...

There is an extension you can use in Edge/Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dont-close-window-with-la/dlnpfhfhmkiebpnlllpehlmklgdggbhn

I like the new Folder icon in the start menu.

But, I thought the colored backgrounds were gone?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.65c3b338e176e4294423ceb5339ef3c3.png

Why is Vivaldi still darker than the rest???

Strange... maybe they made it as a live tile... what happens if you unpin it, and pin a new shortcut that you made from the executable, rename it properly, and right-click on it, and pick Pin to Start Menu?

Also, my search is not "dark mode" enabled either... Is it just for "web" searches? (I have those disabled, so it only search locally)

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.b3c32ee0b6a0b721793f308e5256ce08.png

Hmm... it could be a regional thing. Or it could be something they decided to not release. This isn't the first time they do this.

I'll check the official release note when it goes live (probably is now, I need to check), and update my original post.

18 minutes ago, Escanor said:

There already should be proper drivers for bluetooth and wifi that have no issues least from Intel not sure about realtek or other drivers, altho i never had issues on 2004.

There should, and probably fine, but I am always mentioning this, because sometime some driver might be old, or problem has been discovered and the release of that new driver was just released.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:23 PM, Master Delta Chief said:

I wonder if MS will ever work on a OS purely from scratch and nothing from the past like it is now in Windows. It's a completely other subject but it's still interesting to know. Regardless I'm hoping this new update won't cause any drops in performance, because that's been happening now for quite some time.  

Isn't that kinda what they're doing with Windows 10X? I thought they were like making this "modern OS" and then for compatibility running old Windows software in containers. I mean it's still based off of NT, but doesn't have all the crud full blown Windows 10 has.

Just now, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Isn't that kinda what they're doing with Windows 10X? I thought they were like making this "modern OS" and then for compatibility running old Windows software in containers. I mean it's still based off of NT, but doesn't have all the crud full blown Windows 10 has.

Windows is NT. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Installed on my main system and it's working fine. Apart from NVIDIA's usual drivers retardation where every such update resets my drivers to some ancient version from early 2019... I'm surprised it's not resetting it after clean install which used to be happening after every big Windows update...

EDIT:

Has Disk Optimizer been addressed yet so it's not full defragmenting SSD's instead of just optimizing them? Allegedly it was defragmenting them when scheduled task was on and optimizing properly when done manually by the user. I wonder if this was fixed...

No weirdness with nvidia drivers here

Yes the TRIM thing was fixed sometime ago in previous build (it would TRIM your SSD everyday/restart)

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Windows is NT. 

Nah, NT is the Kernel, Windows is the OS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Works good. I've now updated all my 3 systems and so far all is good. New Start menu changes are very subtle, but I do appreciate bright yellow folders, so it's not all a wall of same looking icons and you can distinct subfolders much easier now which is nice. The rest feels exactly the same.

Anyone noticed a dip or improvement in performance or is it relatively the same so far? Just wondering because as I mentioned in the previous post, I felt like performance kind of declined in the 2004 version. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04