Windows 10 October 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW

GoodBytes

I just wish they'd FINALLY fix the god damn localizations. I don't care about anything else, but the absurd inconsistent localization of interface is driving me insane.

I'm not from US, but I want my interface in US English. And that's where Windows just spergs into oblivion where it just can't decide what language to use. And I don't get it how it can be so difficult...

If I have my time zone and units set to Slovenian (which makes it 24h time, € as currency and date in a logical DD.MM.YYYY), keyboard to Slovenian and interface in US English, I just want THAT. Instead it makes interface in US English, but Windows own apps are for some dumb reason in Slovenian so they are sticking out like sore thumb and because of all that, it keeps on bitchin I absolutely need to have 2 keyboard languages, US English and Slovenian (even though Slovenian has more characters that also covers English entirely) which is spawning dumb language bar every time I run ANY Valve game like CS:GO. And the worst thing is, when installing Windows, you set all 3 parameters. Interface language, regional unit settings and keyboard language. And then Windows just straight up disregards it after installation. Like, what the F Microsoft?!

Am I really the only person in this whole world who is not from US, but I want Windows in US English and not localized in my own language? I can only assume it's that, which is why Microsoft has next to zero interest in fixing this idiocy. There is a way of getting things sort of my way, but you need to be flipping languages around and you still end up with forced dual keyboard configurations that's still spawning language bar every time I run Valve games... Ugh.

The new Start menu looks good. But I can't help but feel that the progress with W10 is way slower than it should be.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:45 PM, GoodBytes said:

WSL2 now features GPU support

That's right! You can now make WSL2 use your GPU power!

Please note that you need the latest Nvidia or AMD drivers to utilize this, as the driver needs to have explicit support for this.
Microsoft says:

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/06/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20150/

So yes, you can now use: NVIDIA CUDA and OpenCL under WSL2.

Source: GPU accelerated ML training inside the Windows Subsystem for Linux - Windows Developer Blog

Note, this is for Machine Learning / AI, not gaming.

That said, Microsoft did announce GUI support in WSL at this year BUILD event, so that you can run Linux GUI based programs with ease under Windows. But that has yet to be released.

WSL2 Improvements

• wsl –install command allows you to easily install WSL
  • wsl --update command allows you to manage the kernel version of your WSL distros

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

This should be interesting since it's currently an enormous steaming pile to install, let alone use python on Windows.

python_environment.png

In all seriousness, the way to get stuff to work on windows is convoluted to the point that "docker container" starts looking like nVidia doesn't want you to run it on an actual PC.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:56 PM, circeseye said:

seriously...i hate how the sound panel is. 

install Ear trumpet

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

The new Start menu looks good. But I can't help but feel that the progress with W10 is way slower than it should be.

That is correct. That is because the focus is on Windows 10X for Microsoft, not Windows 10.

The following on what I am going to say, is based off leads from a few sources and others analysis, and no official statements, so take it as a grain of salt:

Companies go where the money is. That said, laptop and desktop sales got a mass surge increase in sales thanks to human malware, and some companies are restructuring the way they do business, where they give money to employees for working at home for buying computers, desk, webcam and so on, and companies are getting Microsoft services such as Microsoft Teams... so money is coming in, and Microsoft talked about "re-investment" into Windows 10.  This was also helped by the Panos Panay Head of Surface team is now head of Windows, and is pushing for Software + hardware (Surface) integration. These GUI changes, where actually not on the map for this update initially. Based on my reading from leaks, the goal was to only have 1 year updates, and the other just bug fixes, to please companies, and not the user any more.

In other words, money wasn't really going in to justify investments in Windows 10, and kinda keep in life support, with a focus on what keeps the OS. DirectX updates were really for the XBox, WSL and dev things were really for devs which brings money via Visual Studio, and bug fixes and security fixes is for enterprise. The original plan for 20H2, was just bug fixes and DirectX and WSL update mentioned. The GUI stuff, was last minute. Looks like more is happening to GUI side. I am not sure if it will make it to this coming up release or not, so I didn't mention it, but Microsoft re-worked the touch screen keyboard. It is now faster and more responsive on slower systems, you can now swipe on the space bar left or right to move the cursor, has new sounds, improved all layouts... and select Insiders, not all, have GIF support like on phones, that is being tested out.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Am I really the only person in this whole world who is not from US, but I want Windows in US English and not localized in my own language? I can only assume it's that, which is why Microsoft has next to zero interest in fixing this idiocy. There is a way of getting things sort of my way, but you need to be flipping languages around and you still end up with forced dual keyboard configurations that's still spawning language bar every time I run Valve games... Ugh.

I have this problem too. Here is what I want:

Display language: English 

Date and time format: Swedish 

Spell checking: Swedish and English

Keyboard layout: Swedish and Japanese 

A bit of a mess yes, but shouldn't be too hard to implement if they had made this a bit modular. But nope, I can't get this working. It's a fucking mess. My Microsoft store is in Japanese for some reason and I can't even change it if I remove all traces of Japanese from my language settings. 

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

A bit of a mess yes, but shouldn't be too hard to implement if they had made this a bit modular. But nope, I can't get this working. It's a fucking mess. My Microsoft store is in Japanese for some reason and I can't even change it if I remove all traces of Japanese from my language settings. 

Welcome to my version of hell. I don't understand why is it so hard if I pick US English for interface, that it would apply to Windows interface, Windows apps and Windows Store. It's that simple. If I pick Slovenian language for keyboard, bloody ONLY use that. Don't force me damn US English layout just because I happen to have interface in that language. And it all just goes sideways when you pick date and time format for Slovenia and it again thinks I also need US English keyboard AGAIN for some reason. Oh and also Windows Store in Slovenian. Aargh, it's so infuriating and dumb.

I just want my Task Bar to be pitch black again

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Just install it in US English in the first place. If you really need localization's apply them afterwards. Like I live in Canada and I have it installed in US mode because it changes some subtle things with date, time and currency and it's like, nope, I can put up with the US spellcheck. I have the Japanese support so Japanese software actually displays correctly, but that still involves AppLocale tools for non-Unicode software (which is the vast majority of Japanese games not built in Unity.) 

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Welcome to my version of hell. I don't understand why is it so hard if I pick US English for interface, that it would apply to Windows interface, Windows apps and Windows Store. It's that simple. If I pick Slovenian language for keyboard, bloody ONLY use that. Don't force me damn US English layout just because I happen to have interface in that language. And it all just goes sideways when you pick date and time format for Slovenia and it again thinks I also need US English keyboard AGAIN for some reason. Oh and also Windows Store in Slovenian. Aargh, it's so infuriating and dumb.

That's the core problem with how Windows sets up. Whatever language you install the OS in, is the language everything is assumed to be in until you change the localization settings. Then the Microsoft Account comes along and overrides this based on your IP.

My personal opinion about this "update":

tenor-4.gif.4286ed1fd4f9795e7ad08ebbeabe32f2.gif

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

58 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Just install it in US English in the first place. If you really need localization's apply them afterwards. Like I live in Canada and I have it installed in US mode because it changes some subtle things with date, time and currency and it's like, nope, I can put up with the US spellcheck. I have the Japanese support so Japanese software actually displays correctly, but that still involves AppLocale tools for non-Unicode software (which is the vast majority of Japanese games not built in Unity.)

I am fairly sure I installed it in English, but I did change the keyboard layout to Swedish during the install. Maybe that was a mistake.

In any case, I'd prefer if it was a simple way to just change all these things without Windows messing everything up. I mean seriously, this is how messed up my store is (and yes I have tried doing a reset of the app):

881951747_Screenshot2020-09-20211659.thumb.png.2bf945a22e67ab2033b5f8e511361a24.png

How is this even possible? The tabs are in Swedish, the library part is in English, the search box and menu (three dots) are in English and all programs are in Japanese, except when I click on them I get brought to the Swedish store page for them. If I click on "Windows マップ" I get bought to "Windows Kartor" which is the Swedish page with everything in Swedish, including the text about "this product is already installed".

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

How is this even possible?

Considering how badly windows is written (if we believe what gets leaked about it) IDK why you are surprised.....

1 hour ago, Escanor said:

Ofcourse they did not fix disk optimize scheduler where it defrags ssd instead of trimming it, you can test this yourself open task scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > defrag right click run task while optimization tool is open it will defrag every single time while it should be trimming ssd's.

... I think I turned this off... thank goodness...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Escanor said:

Aye did so to i just made my own task that seems to work fine, but i really wish Microsoft would fix this, i should't have to disable it the argument -$ is making it defrag ssd's which it really should't.

Curious question: how would it be able to tell the difference between an ssd and a HDD?  Is there a way? I’m getting the impression this feature was added and named when there were basically only HDDs.  If it can’t tell the difference it should be renamed and retasked one would think.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i still dont understand why half of the settings are in the old control panel and half of them are in the new one.

and i cant open the old sound menu by right clicking the volume anymore even though the new menu has nothing that i need

On 9/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And seems to be impossible on amd. I like having a RX 480!

In Custom Resolutions, The option directly after resolution is refresh rate.

I don't have any displays that support non-standard refresh rates so your mileage may very. I can at least confirm setting 45 hz results in an out of range error on an old Samsung monitor.

Edit: Second PC running Vega56.

4 minutes ago, normpearii said:
On 9/19/2020 at 4:47 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

In Custom Resolutions, The option directly after resolution is refresh rate

Yeah, but I can't get windows to use the costom res. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I find it in the AMD card app, though I can’t make it work.  My assumption has been that my guesses for the the settings for my monitor have always been wrong.  There are a whole screen of settings options.  Is there also one in win10?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Shows up for me in Listed Modes

Selecting it get out of range error on my side monitor since it only supports 60 hz

Should add this is via DVI, HDMI doesn't appear to support custom resolutions and my main PC is using the only DP equipment monitor.

Edit: DVI via DP to DVI adaptor, Monitor is DVI and VGA, Vega 56 is DP and HDMI

Spoiler

image.png.bc0f7edcd051716375dc24ee8110971f.pngimage.png.7489820d1fb7d01f6479136b3db7912d.pngimage.png.4735ea30bd58a92636e364c32b5d0a39.png

6 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

i still dont understand why half of the settings are in the old control panel and half of them are in the new one.

and i cant open the old sound menu by right clicking the volume anymore even though the new menu has nothing that i need

From what I've heard, it's because the control panel and the underlying functions are very old, confusingly written, poorly documented and hooks into a bunch of places on the system. 

Trying to just move one thing from the control panel to settings is a pain in the ass because they have to read through all the bad code to see how it works, implement a new way of doing things, and then test if anything breaks. Most likely, a ton of stuff breaks and they have to debug it.

Windows was never designed around modularity like for example GNU/Linux. Microsoft never designed the control panel to be replaced. It's like replacing the foundation of your house, while 1 billion people are still living inside it. 

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

From what I've heard, it's because the control panel and the underlying functions are very old, confusingly written, poorly documented and hooks into a bunch of places on the system. 

Trying to just move one thing from the control panel to settings is a pain in the ass because they have to read through all the bad code to see how it works, implement a new way of doing things, and then test if anything breaks. Most likely, a ton of stuff breaks and they have to debug it.

Windows was never designed around modularity like for example GNU/Linux. Microsoft never designed the control panel to be replaced. It's like replacing the foundation of your house, while 1 billion people are still living inside it. 

Wow. NT4 is still biting people.  I thought they got rid of horrors like that with vista. 

11 hours ago, Escanor said:

Ofcourse they did not fix disk optimize scheduler where it defrags ssd instead of trimming it, you can test this yourself open task scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > defrag right click run task while optimization tool is open it will defrag every single time while it should be trimming ssd's.

On my ASUS Transformer, it does the trimming correctly. But as soon as I close the program, it doesn't know when the last optimization was done and just says "Never" even though I've just done it 10 seconds ago. 1A quality!