Is it true that vsync only removes tearing if my monitor can't keep up with my gpu ?

Gustavo Dutra

I mean. I got a 144hz monitor and i decided to turn on vsync on battlefield 4 and jesus christ it was amazing. Even with the possible input lag, it felt amazing.

But then i heard people saying "You should only use vsync if your monitor is 60hz" or stuff like that.

I wanna know if thats true.

9 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

I mean. I got a 144hz monitor and i decided to turn on vsync on battlefield 4 and jesus christ it was amazing. Even with the possible input lag, it felt amazing.

But then i heard people saying "You should only use vsync if your monitor is 60hz" or stuff like that.

I wanna know if thats true.

No? Vsync works in steps for fps. It locks the framerate to the max fps of the monitor (or to a lower set locked position if the fps are not reaching the refresh rate of the monitor). Vysnc has kinda been worked around by fps limits as those do not cause extra input lag or gsync and freesync by dynamically adapting the refresh rate of the monitor to avoid tearing (this is limited to a certain hz range and of course if you go above the max fps of the monitor it won't do much but again fps limits exist for that either in game or outside of it)

No it's not true, the only reason not to use vsync is if it doesn't make your experience better, or makes it worse

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No? Vsync works in steps for fps. It locks the framerate to the max fps of the monitor (or to a lower set locked position if the fps are not reaching the refresh rate of the monitor). Vysnc has kinda been worked around by fps limits as those do not cause extra input lag or gsync and freesync by dynamically adapting the refresh rate of the monitor to avoid tearing (this is limited to a certain hz range and of course if you go above the max fps of the monitor it won't do much but again fps limits exist for that either in game or outside of it)

So normal vsync wont cause input lag ?

8 hours ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

So normal vsync wont cause input lag ?

It will sometimes cause a little bit dpends how well it is implemented. Again there are issue free things now like fps caps and stuff.

Well you'd want to be able to maintain the fps of your monitor refresh rate to use V-sync and not have dips, or stutters. Really you'd want to use adaptive sync though. I can't stand V-sync especially in a shooter, I never enable it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |