5 intakes 1 exhaust and still negative air pressure??

Billy66

I just finished installing my new x53 aio in my pb 600 case and after everything was done I've done a pressure test with a cigarette
it sucked the smoke in in the back but not in the front
it also didnt really blow out as well

in the frontI have a push/pull config with 120mm fans and one 120mm as exhaust in the back

after finding out I installed a 140mm under the radiator and taped the back opening (exept the fan opening) shut and it did not really change
how is this possible?
should I turn off the exhaust fan?

20200918_204846.jpg

the 140mm at the top is without function
only for looks

Why do you worry positive or negative pressure? Positive pressure thing is overrated. Dust will get inside nonetheless. As long as there is no hot air build up inside that affects cooling.

30 minutes ago, Deli said:

Why do you worry positive or negative pressure? Positive pressure thing is overrated. Dust will get inside nonetheless. As long as there is no hot air build up inside that affects cooling.

because bofore with my old set up I didnt have any dust inside for like 5 months

18 minutes ago, Billy66 said:

because bofore with my old set up I didnt have any dust inside for like 5 months

I tried some very fine mesh dust filter from Silverstone. Big dust particle is kept out, but very small one will still get in. So eventually I had to clean the PC with a air duster every couple of month. Now I don't even bother with dust filter. Just clean it once a month with a air duster. Two minutes job.

Air filter usually hinders cooling performance. Especially the bad cheap one.

Linus did a long term test. Positive, negative and natural air pressure make almost no difference in term how much dust inside a PC after 12 months.

A lot of fans are just for show.. pretty lights and low performance. Even expensive fans can be nice, but still perform fairly low. Take Noctua for instance, you pay big bucks for a 50 cfm fan, just because its quiet and looks nice..? Its quiet because its only 50cfm lol.. just throwing that out there. Almost every fan I see recommended is weak to me, as I use industrials. At least with those you don't have to worry about things like static pressure.. they have all the airflow and static pressure lol. And if you spin them up all the way they have all the noise to go with it too. Not ideal for a bedroom.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

Would you be willing to changing the radiator position? Move the radiator up top and exhaust it out.  Change it to a push or a pull but not both.  Then take the 2 extra fans you now have and move them to the front as intakes along with your 140 mm. The front of the PB 600 looks like it could be a bit restrictive for airflow.  It could be why your smoke test only saw air being drawn in from the back PCI slots and probably right back out through the exhaust fan. Front is choked out. Set your front intake fan curves to the max rpm you are comfortable with as far as noise is concerned and set that as the intake fan rpms until your CPU is under a heavy load.  Then ramp them up accordingly on your curve. Make your exhaust fan a static low rpm.  You don't want your exhaust fan taking a ton of air out. Let the radiator fans on top do the exhaust. If possible, adjust your radiator fan curve so that the max rpms are at the point where higher rpm doesn't lower cpu temp anymore.  Radiator fans spinning at 2000 rpm is a waste if the CPU temp maxes out with fans spinning at 1400 rpm. Then adjust your radiator fan curve from the top to down, from max rpm to idle rpm. That should hopefully create a positive pressure setup.  

What rpm are the fans running at?

The airflow is reduced dramatically after bring restricted by a rad and solid front panel. It's not abnormal that a fairly unrestricted exhaust ends up moving about as much air. For air to be not pulled in the rear when there's localized intake there in the form of the graphics card fans, it takes more positive pressure. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.