GoPro releases 5K Hero 9 Black w/ Dual Screen, Detachable Lens, Subscription discount

Bela0

Summary

GoPro just released their new flagship camera, the Hero 9 Black. It features a 23.6 MP sensor that's capable of recording 5K video at 30fps or 4K at 60fps. They also added a preview screen to the front (like the DJI Osmo Action), build-in mounting and a detachable lens that can be switched to an ultra-wide lens at 155° FOV or replaced upon scratching.

Other features include better stabilization and Horizon leveling.

The camera costs ~$ 350 USD with a one year free GoPro subscription or ~$ 450 USD without one.

gopro1.png.97ff7489b6cb2a1c1a9f31c82c4a1e20.png

gopro2.png.521516922ed53e6c58b61331253aa565.png

Quotes

The GoPro Hero 9 Black is the most powerful and versatile action camera you can buy, but for most people its predecessor offers better value. While the new sensor and front display are useful additions, the changes don't collectively represent a big leap over the Hero 8 Black. Its slightly unresponsive touchscreen is also a little frustrating, even if a firmware fix is en route. No other action can match the Hero 9 Black's skillset, but others do currently edge it for value.

My thoughts

While the camera looks very promising to anyone in the market for action cameras that doesn't already own a Hero 8 Black, I can not get over the huge discount given to people who choose the subscription model. It seems that anyone in the tech industry is taking notes on Adobe successfully transitioning to mainly subscription-based revenue and this is GoPros best effort. I know this literally adds value on the purchase, especially acting as an insurance, but GoPro pressuring people into the subscription by differentiating the price by $100 feels very anti-consumer.

Sources

GoPro Hero 9 on gopro.com

GoPro Hero 9 Black review on techradar.com

The camera costs ~$ 350 USD with a one year free GoPro subscription or ~$ 450 USD without one.

... Wait, it costs less with a free subscription o.O?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

5 minutes ago, elfensky said:

... Wait, it costs less with a free subscription o.O?

As far as I’m aware the subscription is free for 1 year and then you’ll have to pay the normal pricing if you want to continue subscribing. 

And then they’re making you pay the full price of the Camera without the subscription.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Wait 6 months. The price will drop $100. No need for the subscription.

Really dislike the subscription model.

I'm trying to find the details of the subscription, anyone know what the subscription costs after the "free trial"?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Terms + Conditions

Offer valid from September 16th, 2020, at 6:00 a.m. PDT and will continue until GoPro terminates the program in its sole discretion. The Subscribe to GoPro Bundle discount applies with a new purchase of an annual subscription to GoPro combined with a purchase of a full-priced HERO9 Black, MAX, or HERO8 Black (collectively “Subscribe to GoPro Bundle”) in a single transaction at gopro.com. Discount applies once all items are placed in the cart. Limit: one per customer. Current GoPro subscribers not eligible for the offer. In the event that you cancel your subscription before the end of the initial year term but keep your camera, and in so doing, fall below the threshold for eligibility for this offer, we will reduce any applicable refund owed to you by the full retail price of the camera and reserve the right to charge your payment method for any remaining balance owed to GoPro. There is no free trial period and there will be no pro-rated refunds for cancelled subscriptions. For EU customers, you will have a 14 day free trial period and may return your subscription, subject to the terms of the Subscribe to GoPro Bundle. Offer cannot be combined with any other offers, discounts or promo codes, or applied to previous purchases. No cash alternative. Offer subject to change without notice. Purchases subject to additional terms and conditions presented at checkout.

Seems like you can cancel after 1 year and not pay any more for the subscription?

Yes, it sounds like you can cancel the subscription before the end of the free trial.

The subscription is usually $50/year or $5/month, that's what I imagine I'd be after the trial.

The full terms and conditions for the subscription can be found here: Link to gopro.com

Some interesting quotes:

If your Subscription begins with a Free Introductory Trial, you may cancel at any time before the end of the Free Introductory Trial without incurring any obligation to pay the Fee and You may continue to use the Subscription until the end of Your Free Introductory Trial.

Regarding the Total camera replacement benefit by the subscription:

Trade In: Up to 2 times per year of the Subscription, you may trade-in your GoPro equipment for any or no reason for a replacement product of the same or comparable make and model [...] and you pay the applicable “Trade-In Fee.

HERO9 Black: $99.00

So a camera replacement even with a subscription would be 99 USD.

Neat little camera, very good specs. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |