1080p ultra vs 1440p medium

Goddess Zoe

my question is, what would look better? 1080p at ultra settings or 1440p at medium settings?

Depends on the game and the size if your monitor.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

That's subjective to the user, kind of an impossible question to answer. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Depends on the game and the size if your monitor.

let's say hypothetically you're playing the witcher 3 and the monitor is 27 inches

Depends on the scaling ability of the display. If it is native 1440p and does scale perfectly, 1080p ultra would look better. However you could probably do 1440p ultra as well and drop aa to a minumum because of the increased resolution, thus regaining some performance. I prefer 1080p ultra on a native 1080p 27" IPS panel. But that comes down to personal preference in the end. If you are thinking of buying a 1440p monitor, look for a larger panel like 30 inches for example. at 27 inches that screen will be crisp, too crisp for everything else than gaming in my opinion but again, personal preference.

generally, games are optimized for medium graphics settings as the majority of people are playing games on consoles and entry level pcs, not with titans in sli lol. really, theres not a big drop in fps from 1080p to 1440p so chances are that youd be able to get the same framerates as 1080p ultra as with 1440p high, maybe a bit of tweaking. that would almost certainly look "better"

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I play witcher 3 pretty often at 1440p medium and it's a good experience, my 1070 ti gets ~90fps on medium, just under 80 on high, ~60 on ultra but I'd rather have more fps than max detail. TBH in some ways medium looks better, it's easier to make out certain items and characters without all the extra frills on high and ultra. Maybe you can try with and without the high res texture mod and see what works for you. IMO 1080p ultra would look better for screenshots but 1440p medium is a better gaming experience, your opinion might be different. 

That's a vague question.

Is the resolution of your screen native? Or are you looking to buy a 2K monitor and will have to turn down the settings?

What looks better will mostly depend on the screen size here as well, higher resolution increases the pixel density, but at different sizes it might not matter much.

Getting 1440p on a 24" monitor might be way less noticable than a 27" monitor.

No point going higher than 1080p if you need to sacrifice graphics settings quality or framerate a lot. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |