Earphones vs Earbuds

Mr.Stork
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
10 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

oh you made that other post lol

shittily made earbuds will just randomly die even from careful use, so basically dont buy shitty stuff. all the big brands that make headphones have decent iems like sony, bose, sennheiser, philips, all that. philips has some good cheap options. rice guru mentioned the monk, might be an option for ya. the most recommended 5 dollar earbuds ever probably, lol.

there's also brands that specialize in iems, but theyre usually at least 30 or 40 bucks as a starting point. tin audio and 1more make some of the more popular entry level iems, the t3 and the triple drivers, respectively. above that point they start getting very expensive, very quickly...

yikes I would not reccomend the t3 to most people out of the tin line the t2 or t2 plus are the safest reccomendations by far currently. the t3 has sibilance issues

How to look for a good earbud, what are some qualities I should be looking out for while both. And which ones to buy, or is it just personal preference?

look at reviews for build quality, try them yourself or determine what reviewers are listening for to see if youll like how they sound. headfi has some good guides

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

generally speaking if you have a ear canal size that is either much larger than average or much smaller than average don't go for stiff in earbuds (earbuds with no rubber tip and has a non-fexible material as the bit that goes into the ear canal. like the airpods non-pro)

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

look at reviews for build quality, try them yourself or determine what reviewers are listening for to see if youll like how they sound. headfi has some good guides

If I use them with care, do I still need to look out for build quality? (to make them last?)

I can't try them myself because of the pandemic rn, the stores are not very close to my house so I can't.

Imma look for some reviews, Idk a single thing about earbuds tho. Can you name a few good brands?

3 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

generally speaking if you have a ear canal size that is either much larger than average or much smaller than average don't go for stiff in earbuds (earbuds with no rubber tip and has a non-fexible material as the bit that goes into the ear canal. like the airpods non-pro)

Yeah I always look for detachatble rubber tips, like I have the sony EX150 rn.

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

detachatble rubber tips

thats the word I was looking for rather than

5 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

stiff in earbuds (earbuds with no rubber tip and has a non-fexible material as the bit that goes into the ear canal. like the airpods non-pro)

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

sony EX150

yeah I have a friend who has one of those and he says they are great for on-the-go use. and also have "surprisingly good" audio quality

3 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

yeah I have a friend who has one of those and he says they are great for on-the-go use. and also have "surprisingly good" audio quality

I love them, been using them from past 3 years, they still work on my pc, but is causing problems (loose connection) on my mobile's port. idk why, man I love these. So good audio quality.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

How to look for a good earbud, what are some qualities I should be looking out for while both. And which ones to buy, or is it just personal preference?

So in earbuds do you mean like a semi In ear design like a ve monk or a earpods? Earphones are just a general term for devices you put in your ear to produce sound.

34 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

If I use them with care, do I still need to look out for build quality? (to make them last?)

I can't try them myself because of the pandemic rn, the stores are not very close to my house so I can't.

Imma look for some reviews, Idk a single thing about earbuds tho. Can you name a few good brands?

33 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Yeah I always look for detachatble rubber tips, like I have the sony EX150 rn.

shittily made earbuds will just randomly die even from careful use, so basically dont buy shitty stuff. all the big brands that make headphones have decent iems like sony, bose, sennheiser, philips, all that. philips has some good cheap options. rice guru mentioned the monk, might be an option for ya. the most recommended 5 dollar earbuds ever probably, lol.

there's also brands that specialize in iems, but theyre usually at least 30 or 40 bucks as a starting point. tin audio and 1more make some of the more popular entry level iems, the t3 and the triple drivers, respectively. above that point they start getting very expensive, very quickly...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

10 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

yikes I would not reccomend the t3 to most people out of the tin line the t2 or t2 plus are the safest reccomendations by far currently. the t3 has sibilance issues

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

whoops forgot which one was the good one lol, thanks for clearing that up

topics i need help on:

Spoiler