RTX 2060 Mobile severely underperforming

im running a rtx 2060 mobile in a msi gs75 stealth laptop. Ideally i didnt want a laptop but it is convenient. The problem is that the card is severely underperforming. (intel HD graphics levels) I have run a few benchmarks. 

- cinebench- i7 8750h got a score of 2104
- 3D mark firestrike - overall 2701 - graphics 2791 - physics 12192 - combined 1121 (3D mark says an overall score of around 13000 is normal for a laptop of my type) (i also can run most 3D mark benchmarks if requested)

As you can see something is pretty wrong here. I cant identify what however. I have tried a variety of online methods to no avail and am willing to follow pretty much any steps to get this working as intended. 
Somethings that are noteworthy: (i disabled intel hd graphics to make sure it wasnt them, and it resulted in no change in performance.) (my cpu seems to be working fine and i think xmp 2.0 is the default state for ram in my laptop bios) (overclocking gpu yields little to no result) (thermals on gpu never really exceed 75 degrees celsius) (when referencing my task manager, my gpu usage spikes from 100 to almost 0 percent which usually correlates with even further frame drops and a small spike of like 7 percent higher in  cpu usage. Not sure if that means anything)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and, I hope, will someday be relevant to another who has had my issues.

System specification
- CPU - intel core i7 8750 h 
- GPU - rtx 2060 mobile
- Storage - 1x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB     and      1x WD Blue SN550 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
- RAM - Hynix HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF 2x8GB (-TF means its clock speed is 2133)

- OS - windows 10
- Graphics Driver - GeForce Game Ready driver version 456.38

Let me know if you need anymore information.
 Image shows task manager during a time spy graphics 2 benchmark.

IMG_20200918_172754.jpg

Is the right GPU being used? Some programs don't like using the dedicated GPU unless you force them to. Open task manager and check what GPU is being used while you run 3DMark, (make sure to check while you're in a benchmark run) if it's GPU 0 it's running on your CPU's iGPU.

To change that, go to Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics settings (or just search graphics settings, that's probably easier) and go to graphics performance settings. Choose "Desktop app" and browse to the 3DMark exe file, select it, click on "Options", and make sure it's set to run on "High performance".

Edited by BobVonBob

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Is the right GPU being used? Some programs don't like using the dedicated GPU unless you force them to. Open task manager and check what GPU is being used while you run 3DMark, (make sure to check while you're in a benchmark run) if it's GPU 0 it's running on your CPU's iGPU.

To change that, go to Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics settings (or just search graphics settings, that's probably easier) and go to graphics performance settings. Choose "Desktop app" and browse to the 3DMark exe file, select it, click on "Options", and make sure it's set to run on "High performance".

yes i believe it is running on my dedicated gpu. Task manager says NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. 

Make sure that your Windows power settings are telling it to use the 2060, and also check the temps in the tests.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Make sure that your Windows power settings are telling it to use the 2060, and also check the temps in the tests.

My windows power settings are telling it to use the 2060. Temps are around 63 degrees celsius.

IMG_20200918_174658.jpg

IMG_20200918_174540.jpg

IMG_20200918_174446.jpg

IMG_20200918_174236.jpg

Something i noticed. Pictures top to bottom are task manager during combined, physics, graphics 2, and graphics 1 firestrike benchmarks. dedicated memory was never being fully utilised as you can see. I feel as if this may be the root of the issue. It was highest during graphics 1 but remained constant at the value shown in the images for the entire duration of the test.

2 hours ago, dualsling said:

Something i noticed. Pictures top to bottom are task manager during combined, physics, graphics 2, and graphics 1 firestrike benchmarks. dedicated memory was never being fully utilised as you can see. I feel as if this may be the root of the issue. It was highest during graphics 1 but remained constant at the value shown in the images for the entire duration of the test.

Searched this up and there seems to be no correlation between this and the cards bad performance

I am not sure what action of mine caused this but my gpu seems to perform fine in certain applications now. What i mean by this is that i am now getting a score of 6000+ in timespy consistently which is what you would expect of this card. However, its performance in firestrike is still abominable; around 2500-3000, and that has remained fully unchanged. The big difference between them is directx version i think, so i tried some games using dx11 and dx12 and it behaved in a similar way, where dx12 games performed seamlessly and dx11 games performed like absolute garbage. I dont know what is causing this large difference, but considering many games still use dx11 i would like to get it sorted and any information would be appreciated.