PC Freezing (mostly) When Idle

Vorgex
Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,

run Reliability Monitor, that will summarize event viewer for better view and understanding of your PC health.

1. re-seat your RAM, give the contact a good scrub with rubber or paper. 

2. do you have extra/spare PSU to test?

Ping issue probably network settings or firewall related.

A few months back I started experiencing random full freezes. Mouse and keyboard wouldn't work, screen stopped in the middle of whatever was going on, and audio became one continuous horrifying noise.

I hadn't opened my PC or done anything in particular with it around the time it started.

Since then, it's become a common issue. It is now happening daily, some times even twice a day. It lasts until I restart.

I had some advice from the r/PCMR discord, which had me check the Event Viewer, XMP (which was off, and remains so), and to try to ping my PC, when it freezes, from another device on my local network.

When I tried to ping my PC from my wife's PC, it came back with 100% packet loss and a "host not found" message every time. I am able to ping hers from mine without issue.

PC:

CPU: i7-8700

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

RAM: HyperX Fury 16 GB

HDD: Seagate 1 TB

SSD: Kingston 250 GB SSD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M

MOBO: ASUS Z370-A

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Sincerely,

V

BIOS.PNG

EW3.PNG

EW2.PNG

EW1.PNG

run Reliability Monitor, that will summarize event viewer for better view and understanding of your PC health.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Does it happen while gaming in particular or in windows as well?

It never happens when gaming. It's always either when I'm idle, or reading, or browsing reddit, and once or twice when I played Tibia (which has pretty much 0 system requirements). When I play Warframe or Armello or anything else, it never freezes.

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I will re-seat and scrub my RAM this evening, thank you for the tip.

I do not have a spare PSU to test, unfortunately.