Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megadeth00

Shouldn't my SSHD be faster?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have a Seagate 2TB 3.5inch SSHD and did a performance benchmark on it using Samsung Magician and was pretty disappointed with the result. Surely it should be faster right? Did I install it incorrectly(maybe used the wrong SATA port on the Motherboard)? Or is this the general speed of this SSHD. I know SSHD's work better the more they are used as they cache frequently used files and store them in the flash memory so maybe a benchmark test isn't the best way to gauge their performance but 119mb/s read seems very low?

eee.PNG

seems pretty normal speed for SSHD.

|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

Seems right to me tbh

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

4 minutes ago, Megadeth00 said:

Or is this the general speed of this SSHD. I know SSHD's work better the more they are used as they cache frequently used files and store them in the flash memory so maybe a benchmark test isn't the best way to gauge their performance but 119mb/s read seems very low?

I am going to echo what the others said: your results are perfectly normal.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Nothing wrong with that speed. Remember it is still a mechanical HDD, just with an added SSD buffer instead of only the DRAM buffer.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Nothing wrong with that speed. Remember it is still a mechanical HDD, just with an added SSD buffer instead of only the DRAM buffer.

Thanks for that, it really does not seem very fast. Even when opening up folders containing pictures on a fresh start up(only on the initial opening) it is not that quick. The Samsung SSD though performs insanely well.

eee.PNG

1 minute ago, Megadeth00 said:

Thanks for that, it really does not seem very fast. Even when opening up folders containing pictures on a fresh start up(only on the initial opening) it is not that quick. The Samsung SSD though performs insanely well.

eee.PNG

Because it is a hdd. All it does is cache some very small amount of frequently accessed stuff into it's buffer which can easily be fully taken up by a single game. Sshd died out because of them just not being faster than a hdd in almost any situation whilst costing more.

The drive caches most frequently used files of programs and OS like for boot and startup and those you use often like web browser. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10