Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ishit Singh

Should I select yes to "are you a resident of a european country" in Samsung Magician?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

What is the difference between GDPR and non GDPR Samsung Magician software and is there's a way to tell whether the current version of Samsung Magician installed is following GDPR rules or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ishit Singh said:

What is the difference between GDPR and non GDPR Samsung Magician software and is there's a way to tell whether the current version of Samsung Magician installed is following GDPR rules or not?

Datacollection. The software works the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Datacollection. The software works the same.

I did some googling and people posted that GDPR version doesn't allow users to update there firmware.

 

This is what I see when I go to update section, does this mean the version of Samsung Magician installed in my PC isn't following GDPR rules?

1714039219_Screenshot2020-09-18185852.png.5b7452b364ae03adaee53f071fadc5aa.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ishit Singh said:

I did some googling and people posted that GDPR version doesn't allow users to update there firmware.

 

This is what I see when I go to update section, does this mean the version of Samsung Magician installed in my PC isn't following GDPR rules?

1714039219_Screenshot2020-09-18185852.png.5b7452b364ae03adaee53f071fadc5aa.png

Why shouldn't it update?


Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to post
Share on other sites

GDPR is only applicable inside the EU and associated states. If you're not in one, then don't pretend to be, it won't work. Having said that, there are several states/countries that have adopted this regulation into their own laws regarding data collection. Samsung knows about those so should implement a similar policy to adhere to your local laws.

 

GDPR does NOT prevent the consumer to update anything on or in his system, anyone claiming that is either telling porkies or trolling. Or his vendor is illegally blocking updates.


"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

 

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

GDPR is only applicable inside the EU and associated states. If you're not in one, then don't pretend to be, it won't work. Having said that, there are several states/countries that have adopted this regulation into their own laws regarding data collection. Samsung knows about those so should implement a similar policy to adhere to your local laws.

 

GDPR does NOT prevent the consumer to update anything on or in his system, anyone claiming that is either telling porkies or trolling. Or his vendor is illegally blocking updates.

 

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Why shouldn't it update?

This is what I read when I was googling about Samsung Magician GDPR

 

 

This post seems to be 2 year old now so maybe Samsung changed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ishit Singh said:

 

This is what I read when I was googling about Samsung Magician GDPR

 

 

This post seems to be 2 year old now so maybe Samsung changed it.

They did I'm pretty sure


Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in Europe and accepted that, still got the updates. 


Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×