Consistent crashes in games and Furmark after a few seconds

PC Specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7-8700K

• 16GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400MHz (2x 8GB)

• 11GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1080 Ti ASUS ROG STRIX OC-Edition

• ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming (Chipsatz:Z370/ATX)

• 600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 80+

I haven't overclocked anything, everything uses stock/default settings.

The problem

When I run a game above 60FPS (I usually do because I have a 144Hz G-Sync monitor) they crash after a few seconds.

I noticed it the first time with Fallout 4 when I installed a mod that uncapped the game's native FPS limit of 60. I could play for a few seconds (in rare cases it's a few minutes) before the game crashes pretty reliable. First I thought this is due to that mod because I never had any issues with other games previously. I reinstalled the game and tried different configurations. The result was always the same. Then I installed a mod that enables crash logging and that one showed the following:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in CALL STACK 0x7FF8B558EBD0 d3d11.dll+012EBD0

Fallout 4 doesn't have its own D3D11.dll so it must be the system one (GPU driver?). I tested several (older) Nvidia drivers but that didn't fix it either.

After some more tinkering around I tested some of my other games that worked flawlessly a few weeks/months back, namely The Witcher 3 and Borderlands 3. Both showed the exact same behaviour, they crashed a few seconds after loading into the game extremely consistently.

I checked temperatures of CPU, GPU, SSD and the other components. But they all are consistently below 80°C. After a clean reinstall of Windows 10 (v2004) those games still crashed. I took apart the entire PC, cleaned and rebuilt it.

Finally I ran Prime95, Furmark and MemTest. CPU and memory seem super stable. But Furmark crashed after a few seconds. I guess the graphics card is the cause. I also noticed some strange high-pitched noise coming from the GPU that I've never heard before. Is that coil whine? Could this have something to do with those crashes?

What do you think? Is the GPU dead? Are there any other tests I could do to get more information?

This is one of the crash reports for Furmark from Windows event log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FurMark.exe, Version: 1.21.2.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5ed7a0ab

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: nvoglv32.dll, Version: 27.21.14.5206, Zeitstempel: 0x5f34680e

Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000409

Fehleroffset: 0x00de961d

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2384

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d68d53ecd9e3c5

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Geeks3D\Benchmarks\FurMark\FurMark.exe

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_ba8c9c14f3d320cb\nvoglv32.dll

I have a very similar problem where furmark crashed upon starting a stress test, but the difference is that I'm running a Vega 64. After some inspection, the only anomaly I could find was random and impossible spiking of VRAM temps. Have you checked your VRAM temps as well when you were checking your GPU Core Temps?

Btw, I capped my games to a max of 60FPS and they all seem to run fine. I tried running 144hz on a Samsung Q-LED panel and it would either crash totally, shutdown and require a hard reset; or it the screen would go black for minutes then come back running fine. Since then, I have been using a old Samsung 1080p 60Hz panel from before I upgraded and it ran much more stable, where game crashes would only occur every week or two. 

If your card continues to crash like this, or even under light or normal loads, I'd say there might be something wrong with your GPU. Mine is crashing just using Chrome and watching Netflix, but then my Vega is also dying and quite possible on it's last leg. 

On 9/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, colmanhymx said:

Have you checked your VRAM temps as well when you were checking your GPU Core Temps?

There's seems to be no sensor for VRAM temps on my card. Neither HWMonitor nor GPU-Z show something like that. They show only GPU Temp.

7 hours ago, Dank Rafft said:

There's seems to be no sensor for VRAM temps on my card. Neither HWMonitor nor GPU-Z show something like that. They show only GPU Temp.

That's weird given that you have a relatively high-end GPU. Have you tried running MSI's Afterburner to see if the VRAM temps are displayed there?

3 hours ago, colmanhymx said:

That's weird given that you have a relatively high-end GPU. Have you tried running MSI's Afterburner to see if the VRAM temps are displayed there?

Yeah, Afterburner doesn't show it either.

so you didn't have that problem before you ran that mod...

what's the name of the mod?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

59 minutes ago, Dank Rafft said:

Yeah, Afterburner doesn't show it either.

That's weird. Have you tried updating your GPU drivers or Reinstalling them? Sometimes that solves the missing temp problem.

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

so you didn't have that problem before you ran that mod...

what's the name of the mod?

I don't know if I had the problem before running that mod. It was just the first time I noticed it because it was the first time I ran the game at above 60FPS. And the last time I played another game at higher FPS was back in April.

It's called High FPS Physics Fix.

9 hours ago, colmanhymx said:

That's weird. Have you tried updating your GPU drivers or Reinstalling them? Sometimes that solves the missing temp problem.

I tried basically any official driver I could find on Nvidia's and Asus' website, even the default Windows 10 driver. And I always uninstalled them with DDU.

58 minutes ago, Dank Rafft said:

I don't know if I had the problem before running that mod. It was just the first time I noticed it because it was the first time I ran the game at above 60FPS. And the last time I played another game at higher FPS was back in April.

It's called High FPS Physics Fix.

I tried basically any official driver I could find on Nvidia's and Asus' website, even the default Windows 10 driver. And I always uninstalled them with DDU.

ok it still sounds like the mod could have messed something up, even if something like that is unlikely .

did you fully deinstall it?

otherwise maybe a full reinstall of windows might help...

tho this is a really odd issue for sure (still "I installed fps mod and now my games crash when playing above certain fps" is a pretty good indicative imo)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ok it still sounds like the mod could have messed something up, even if something like that is unlikely .

did you fully deinstall it?

otherwise maybe a full reinstall of windows might help...

tho this is a really odd issue for sure (still "I installed fps mod and now my games crash when playing above certain fps" is a pretty good indicative imo)

I did a clean reinstall of Windows as mentioned in the OP. The second time I didn't install that mod or run Fallout 4. The other games still crashed.

It's unlikely that the mod is the cause. I checked its source code and all it does is to modify the game engine at runtime in memory. I can replicate the same crash without the mod if I manually unlock framerate so the game can run above 60 FPS.

The only game that doesn't crash is Hearthstone. It runs at 30 or 60 FPS by default IIRC, though. It seems only more demanding titles cause problems.

I just tested both Borderlands 3 and The Witcher 3 capped at 60 FPS. Result: No crash.

I guess I have to find someone who could borrow me a graphics card so I can test if it's actually related to the GPU.

24 minutes ago, Dank Rafft said:

I just tested both Borderlands 3 and The Witcher 3 capped at 60 FPS. Result: No crash.

I guess I have to find someone who could borrow me a graphics card so I can test if it's actually related to the GPU.

ok we can exclude this mod as a cause then. and good idea... that's always basic troubleshooting to change out parts and see If the problems persist (easier said than done obviously)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/20/2020 at 8:18 AM, Dank Rafft said:

Try another PCI-E power cable if your PSU is modular. Faulty cables could also cause problem.

Depending on your PSU, you could try to run two PCI-E 8Pin cables separately, and not to run one single 8+8pin. 

9 hours ago, colmanhymx said:

Try another PCI-E power cable if your PSU is modular. Faulty cables could also cause problem.

Depending on your PSU, you could try to run two PCI-E 8Pin cables separately, and not to run one single 8+8pin. 

My PSU isn't modular but I already tried the other two 8-Pins.