Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mykull

RTX 3080 “Paper Edition” eBay scam

Posted · Original PosterOP

Summary

Ebay Scalpers are one thing, but now there are RTX 3080 “Paper editions” floating around on eBay. Causing many consumers to bid on what they thought were graphics cards, when in fact the “paper edition” is actually just a printed image of the RTX 3080. Bids are anywhere from $500 to $800 for a piece of paper. This could be related to the recent news of consumers over bidding on Scalpers pre-orders and then not paying to force eBay selling fees; however, this is a PSA telling people to be careful when shopping for a RTX 3080. This is not an isolated incidence or just one seller, this is several sellers all running the same scam.

My thoughts

I haven’t seen any articles on this specifically, but just by typing in “RTX 3080” in the eBay search bar yielded these scams. These are people charging RTX 3080 prices for a printed photo of the graphics card to hopefully scam some buyer who makes a mistake by not reading the full description. Also some of the specs are off on the listings, such as saying 11 gb of ram, shame.

Sources

Here are a few different eBay links that are valid as of sept. 18th 2020:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284015792075

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164389001096

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254722248476

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154092726117

5022BCCB-8299-4718-857D-B288460C5525.png

2936F969-8C28-4A94-9DD4-D1971C18743D.jpeg

2157FE9E-A950-47A0-A93B-52D2E1F11DB8.png

B5680E5E-5B20-4535-85BD-A6A69A317D01.jpeg

hey, if people wanna overpay for a poster, why not?

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

They can buy those and put them in a picture frame on the wall next to their non-existent diplomas. 

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁

at least 10% goes to a charity, wonder if thats a tactic to cause issues with doing a refund. on feebay, i mean ebay...

in Australia i think a printed poster is as close as we will see an FE card.

CPU | Intel i7-8086K Overclocked 5.4Ghz @ 1.44v | GPU | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Overclocked 2190Mhz | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz |MOTHERBOARD | Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | STORAGE | 2x Samsung EvO 256GB NVME  | COOLING | Hard Line Custom Loop D5 Pump Monsta 480mm Radiator  | MONITOR | Acer Predator X34 | OS | Windows 10

So the usual recycled scam. Thing is people are not going to get refunded for this as the product is not doing anything that is not allowed on ebay. It is clearly stated that the product is a picture. This even happens with non questionable items being sold. The amount of times I've seen people bid up items that are listed as just the box, the case, broken,... assuming it's a working product and not read the description is insane. I've had it happen multiple times where I stated a clear issue with in the title READ DESCRIPTION then ebay agrees with me and the buyer loses their case.

Like I sold a 1080 waterblock for a friend on ebay during the mining craze and got 620€ for it as they assumed it was the card even tho the first 2 pictures were the waterblock the description said WATERBLOCK ONLY in caps. The title was Gtx 1080/1080ti ek waterblock watercooling (and some other words to get the search). The reason the people tought it was the card was because the third picture was of it in action showing that it worked. The buyer was so angry when they just got a almost new waterblock and with strong words demanded a refund and was not sending the item back. I ended up keeping the money but was willing to refund them if they sent it back undamaged at their own cost but they did not want to do that thus ebay sided with me and I kept the money.

Greed knows no limit..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz - PSU: Corsair RMx 650W - Storage: 500 GB Samsung Evo 850 2,5" (OS) + 2 TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2 (Mass storage) - Cooling: EK & Alphacool custom loop - Case: CoolerMaster H500 - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-F12 chromax.black - Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX II - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitors: 2x LG 27GN850-B HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro wireless + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Love it. Those things could easily be taken down as using those pictures unless they have permission from the website like verge is a copyright violation also tax evasion is likely happening with those "private" sellers.

I don’t think these are all scams, they want to make it harder for scalpers to price gouge. By filling up the first few listings, they deny the scalpers top results. They actually all say *paper edition* or *read description* in the title.

I believe they did the same for either the PS3 or PS4 when that came out. 

In this case however, I believe some of the higher prices are due to patrolling bots from this post:

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Anyone remember that guy from the 70s who got rich by selling pet rocks?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

I would say I'm surprised but some people are just that dumb =/

Everyone is dumb when they’re not paying attention and no one pays attention all the time.  Trying to do so is a path to crazy and crazy sucks hard.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Anyone remember that guy from the 70s who got rich by selling pet rocks?

*raises hand*

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Not really a scam, the thing you are paying for is accurately described in the ads. If you fall for this you deserve it.

No it’s really a scam.  It shows an intent to deceive.  To claim it is other is sophistry. 

Even if you sell a printed picture for $800, with the cost of ink you're probably only breaking even

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME
LinusWare Dev | NotCPUCores Dev

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

this is why you always read the fine print

Main Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x  | GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P350x | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Redragon K556 | Monitors: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Laptop: Motile M141 - CPU: Ryzen 3 3200U | GPU: Vega 3 igpu | RAM: 8gb DDR4 2400MHz | STORAGE: 120GB SATA M.2 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Depends how this is done. if it'a clearly stated in normal or larger fonts in multiple places, buyers own fault. if it's buried in the small print, then it's shay, (And in some parts of Europe, illegal).

10 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Depends how this is done. if it'a clearly stated in normal or larger fonts in multiple places, buyers own fault. if it's buried in the small print, then it's shay, (And in some parts of Europe, illegal).

Though the fact it's a popular item and priced like it's the actual item shows intent of trying to deceive people.

Learn to read and to distrust ebay listings for cards that just came out?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

This reminds me of one of the articles on the webz about a buyer got delivered a paper of an iPad and the seller won the case.

Can't remember exactly but that definitely happened lol. If someone refuses to read the description and complains about the paper edition once delivered, he/she deserves to lose the case because the seller was very clear and honest.