Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quintenvg1

weird activation website (resolved)?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay so basically what went down is as follows, i built a pc, i went to buy a windows key off of G2A, then the key woulnd't work as it has been used before (told by windows). then i came across a website 'msguides', so i'm wondering is what they're doing illegal? I mean i tried it and it did work, but am (unwillingly) a 'pirate' now? Or is there something malicious they're trying to do on my pc? Thanks for any response.

 

 

If anything i'm doing here is off topic not allowed feel free to remove this topic, but tell me first as i have no clue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
  • Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.
    • Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
    • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.
    • Redistribution of copyrighted software, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.

Sorry, we can't really help you.

 

I can answer your question though, yes you are now pirating Windows. They use the KMS method of activation which is only licensed for large corporations.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quintenvg1 said:

I mean i tried it and it did work, but am (unwillingly) a 'pirate' now?

yup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Master Disaster said:

They use the KMS method of activation which is only licensed for large corporations.

so basically how this works is, they somehow get their hands on a corporate key, and they hand them out for free? also i had to do some commands, one of them included the webserver of their shady practice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Since i don't want to be a pirate i'd rather go back is there a way to get rid of their activation service? windows says it was activated via a corporate activation service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Quintenvg1 said:

so basically how this works is, they somehow get their hands on a corporate key, and they hand them out for free? also i had to do some commands, one of them included the webserver of their shady practice.

I'm not buying that you did not understand what you were doing. Not going into more details, read that quoted portion that @Master Disaster posted.

3 minutes ago, Quintenvg1 said:

a way to get rid

clean install.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, nox_ said:

I'm not buying that you did not understood what you were doing. Not going into more details, read that quoted portion that @Master Disaster posted.

clean install.

okay then, guess i'ill reinstall then, and afterwards i'm buying my own key, straight from the windows store. guess i'ill take the L here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quintenvg1 said:

so basically how this works is, they somehow get their hands on a corporate key, and they hand them out for free? also i had to do some commands, one of them included the webserver of their shady practice.

They don't even need a corporate key. Since Windows 8 MS changed up the way they handle corporate licensing so instead of each corporation getting their own key they are now given access to a Key Management Server (KMS) which they can run on their own domain controller. Using their license they can generate their own keys for their own machines and activation is handled internally by the KMS, the machines never go near MS for activation.

 

Someone quickly worked out it was very simply to emulate the KMS and always issue a positive response. As long as your Windows has been swapped over to KMS mode and it is using a valid KMS key the KMS emulator will always activate. The reason you have to connect to their KMS server is because KMS keys require re authentication every 60 days so every 60 days your PC will reach out and ask their server to reactivate.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quintenvg1 said:

okay then, guess i'ill reinstall then, and afterwards i'm buying my own key, straight from the windows store. guess i'ill take the L here.

I am sure you can use Windows without needing to active it unless you want to get rid of the Watermark.. You won't be able to change your background or theme..


CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

 

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Neweer NW-700 Mic | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card

 

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | HP MicroServer G7 NAS |

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:
2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They don't even need a corporate key. Since Windows 8 MS changed up the way they handle corporate licensing so instead of each corporation getting their own key they are now given access to a Key Management Server (KMS) which they can run on their own domain controller. Using their license they can generate their own keys for their own machines and activation is handled internally by the KMS, the machines never go near MS for activation.

 

Someone quickly worked out it was very simply to emulate the KMS and always issue a positive response. As long as your Windows has been swapped over to KMS mode and it is using a valid KMS key the KMS emulator will always activate. The reason you have to connect to their KMS server is because KMS keys require re authentication every 60 days so every 60 days your PC will reach out and ask their server to reactivate.

allright, very thanks for this insight, i will now start reinstalling as i'm not willing to be a pirate. i will simply purchase a legit key as soon as i have the money for it. windows 10 will work unactivated right? appart from customization.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

I am sure you can use Windows without needing to active it unless you want to get rid of the Watermark.. You won't be able to change your background or theme..

yeah okay, thanks for the information, (i love this forum, issue resolved within 5 minutes).

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get windows keys on ebay, for almost nothing, I don't understand the process completely but to my knowledge it's not illegal because reselling used software or keys is a right in the EU and it seems like Microsoft has implemented this practice worldwide, as in I'm sure they could revoke the license if they wanted but aren't doing it (as it would be against EU laws)

 

Spoiler

‘although the initial acquirer of a copy of a computer program accompanied by an unlimited user licence is entitled to resell that copy and his licence to a new acquirer, he may not, however, in the case where the original material medium of the copy that was initially delivered to him has been damaged, destroyed or lost, provide his back-up copy of that program to that new acquirer without the authorisation of the rightholder.’

 

 

More info:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.computerworld.com/article/2505356/eu-court-rules-resale-of-used-software-licenses-is-legal----even-online.amp.html

 

 

But this also means it's a gray area outside of the EU, it's just Microsoft specifically doesn't really do anything to prevent it ie it's defacto applying these rules worldwide to my understanding.


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×