weird activation website (resolved)?

Quintenvg1

Okay so basically what went down is as follows, i built a pc, i went to buy a windows key off of G2A, then the key woulnd't work as it has been used before (told by windows). then i came across a website 'msguides', so i'm wondering is what they're doing illegal? I mean i tried it and it did work, but am (unwillingly) a 'pirate' now? Or is there something malicious they're trying to do on my pc? Thanks for any response.

If anything i'm doing here is off topic not allowed feel free to remove this topic, but tell me first as i have no clue.

• Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.
    • Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
    • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.
    • Redistribution of copyrighted software, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.

Sorry, we can't really help you.

I can answer your question though, yes you are now pirating Windows. They use the KMS method of activation which is only licensed for large corporations.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Quintenvg1 said:

I mean i tried it and it did work, but am (unwillingly) a 'pirate' now?

yup.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

They use the KMS method of activation which is only licensed for large corporations.

so basically how this works is, they somehow get their hands on a corporate key, and they hand them out for free? also i had to do some commands, one of them included the webserver of their shady practice.

Since i don't want to be a pirate i'd rather go back is there a way to get rid of their activation service? windows says it was activated via a corporate activation service. 

5 minutes ago, Quintenvg1 said:

so basically how this works is, they somehow get their hands on a corporate key, and they hand them out for free? also i had to do some commands, one of them included the webserver of their shady practice.

I'm not buying that you did not understand what you were doing. Not going into more details, read that quoted portion that @Master Disaster posted.

3 minutes ago, Quintenvg1 said:

a way to get rid

clean install.

1 minute ago, nox_ said:

I'm not buying that you did not understood what you were doing. Not going into more details, read that quoted portion that @Master Disaster posted.

clean install.

okay then, guess i'ill reinstall then, and afterwards i'm buying my own key, straight from the windows store. guess i'ill take the L here.

Just now, Quintenvg1 said:

They don't even need a corporate key. Since Windows 8 MS changed up the way they handle corporate licensing so instead of each corporation getting their own key they are now given access to a Key Management Server (KMS) which they can run on their own domain controller. Using their license they can generate their own keys for their own machines and activation is handled internally by the KMS, the machines never go near MS for activation.

Someone quickly worked out it was very simply to emulate the KMS and always issue a positive response. As long as your Windows has been swapped over to KMS mode and it is using a valid KMS key the KMS emulator will always activate. The reason you have to connect to their KMS server is because KMS keys require re authentication every 60 days so every 60 days your PC will reach out and ask their server to reactivate.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Quintenvg1 said:

okay then, guess i'ill reinstall then, and afterwards i'm buying my own key, straight from the windows store. guess i'ill take the L here.

I am sure you can use Windows without needing to active it unless you want to get rid of the Watermark.. You won't be able to change your background or theme..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:
2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They don't even need a corporate key. Since Windows 8 MS changed up the way they handle corporate licensing so instead of each corporation getting their own key they are now given access to a Key Management Server (KMS) which they can run on their own domain controller. Using their license they can generate their own keys for their own machines and activation is handled internally by the KMS, the machines never go near MS for activation.

Someone quickly worked out it was very simply to emulate the KMS and always issue a positive response. As long as your Windows has been swapped over to KMS mode and it is using a valid KMS key the KMS emulator will always activate. The reason you have to connect to their KMS server is because KMS keys require re authentication every 60 days so every 60 days your PC will reach out and ask their server to reactivate.

allright, very thanks for this insight, i will now start reinstalling as i'm not willing to be a pirate. i will simply purchase a legit key as soon as i have the money for it. windows 10 will work unactivated right? appart from customization.

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

I am sure you can use Windows without needing to active it unless you want to get rid of the Watermark.. You won't be able to change your background or theme..

yeah okay, thanks for the information, (i love this forum, issue resolved within 5 minutes).

here i am again, i just clean installed, and i won't be tinkering with anything malicious again ;)

You can get windows keys on ebay, for almost nothing, I don't understand the process completely but to my knowledge it's not illegal because reselling used software or keys is a right in the EU and it seems like Microsoft has implemented this practice worldwide, as in I'm sure they could revoke the license if they wanted but aren't doing it (as it would be against EU laws)

Spoiler

‘although the initial acquirer of a copy of a computer program accompanied by an unlimited user licence is entitled to resell that copy and his licence to a new acquirer, he may not, however, in the case where the original material medium of the copy that was initially delivered to him has been damaged, destroyed or lost, provide his back-up copy of that program to that new acquirer without the authorisation of the rightholder.’

More info:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.computerworld.com/article/2505356/eu-court-rules-resale-of-used-software-licenses-is-legal----even-online.amp.html

But this also means it's a gray area outside of the EU, it's just Microsoft specifically doesn't really do anything to prevent it ie it's defacto applying these rules worldwide to my understanding.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity