Will a better cpu increase fps more than a gpu?

Duckeee

Hi, looking to upgrade pc parts to get better fps in games like, rainbow six, gta, fortnite (soz), for honour and valorant (many more games ;D). I currently have these specs:

-r5 3600

-aorus b450m elite

-rtx 2060

-16gb ram

Now i need wisdom and advice on whether a rtx 3070 will increase frames more than a cpu like i7 10700 (not k). (footnote: i am willing to buy a whole new motherboard if i should buy a cpu)

Any suggestions?

Any answers?

5 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

Hi, looking to upgrade pc parts to get better fps in games like, rainbow six, gta, fortnite (soz), for honour and valorant (many more games ;D). I currently have these specs:

-r5 3600

-rtx 2060

[...]

Any suggestions? Any answers?

Open MSI Afterburner to monitor the CPU/GPU usage (alternatively, if you have a second screen, just open Task Manager just look at that) > play the game for a bit > open MSI Afterburner and check which of the two parts (CPU vs. GPU) was at 100%

More likely, the GPU was at 100% meaning the CPU can still do more.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depends on the game, but in 95% of the situations, it’s better to upgrade the gpu.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

definitely gpu.

going from 3600 to 10700 will see a 10% increase.

going from 2060 to 3070 will see a 100% increase

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

definitely gpu.

going from 3600 to 10700 will see a 10% increase.

going from 2060 to 3070 will see a 100% increase

only if the games are limited by the other in both cases

OP plays some games that are light on GPU but heavy on CPU,

so the most accurate way is to tell OP to monitor which component is operating at or near limit, and upgrade that

monitor GPU usage and individual CPU thread usage, if GPU usage is 95%+ and it's consistent, then upgrading GPU can improve FPS

if CPU threads (normally the first 4 threads) are above 85%, then it's a possible CPU limiting situation, especially if GPU usage is not pinned above 95% and is fluctuating.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Jumballi said:

Depends on the game, but in 95% of the situations, it’s better to upgrade the gpu.

well lets say fortnite, its dependent on the cpu, but lately they've been focusing on graphics and its making my frames low.

21 hours ago, Duckeee said:

well lets say fortnite, its dependent on the cpu, but lately they've been focusing on graphics and its making my frames low.

Well now comes question 2, can you lower the graphics settings to make up for that, or is that not acceptable.

After that is the 3rd and final question, can you reasonably afford an upgrade without throwing yourself into a potentially risky situationDEBT.

Once you've answered all 3 you've completed the flowchart of, should I upgrade X component in my system.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

5 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Well now comes question 2, can you lower the graphics settings to make up for that, or is that not acceptable.

After that is the 3rd and final question, can you reasonably afford an upgrade without throwing yourself into a potentially risky situationDEBT.

Once you've answered all 3 you've completed the flowchart of, should I upgrade X component in my system.

well, if I lower graphics u basically can't aim because the cross hair is to fuzzy. I will have money. For the 3rd question, idk how much its gonna be aud, I think its gonna be $800-600, for usd its says $500. just lettin u know. And yes I need to upgrade, my rtx 2060 is basically a 1080 ti, had it for a couple of years, need to upgrade or games that mainly focus on graphics (very stupid) over performance will be unplayable for me such as fortnite but.... I'm not a pc geek so I really only think that i need to get a better gpu.