Buy a gpu or wait

Theminirex

So I'm building an editing pc for a friend. He has a 2000$budget and the computer will mainly be used for 1440p video and photo editing . 

As of right now we are doing an i9 9900k build with an rtx 2070 and 32 gb of 3200mhz ram. I'm wondering if we should wait for the rtx 3070 as it releases next month, the only reason I'm asking is that I can get an rtx 2070 for 450 cad right now on sale as they are cheap because of the 3070 and 3080 release  while the rtx 3070 is going to be 660 cad . And as he is only doing 1440p is it even worth spending the extra money or should we save the money and out it towards a better monitor?

1 minute ago, Theminirex said:

i9 9900k build

Go for a i9 10900k or a R7 3700x because the i9 9900k is on a dead platform.

The 3070 is a good upgrade over the 2070

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

3 minutes ago, Theminirex said:

So I'm building an editing pc for a friend. He has a 2000$budget and the computer will mainly be used for 1440p video and photo editing . 

As of right now we are doing an i9 9900k build with an rtx 2070 and 32 gb of 3200mhz ram. I'm wondering if we should wait for the rtx 3070 as it releases next month, the only reason I'm asking is that I can get an rtx 2070 for 450 cad right now on sale as they are cheap because of the 3070 and 3080 release  while the rtx 3070 is going to be 660 cad . And as he is only doing 1440p is it even worth spending the extra money or should we save the money and out it towards a better monitor?

What program will they be using? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

What program will they be using? 

I'm pretty sure premiere pro mainly for video editing 

6 minutes ago, Theminirex said:

As of right now we are doing an i9 9900k build with an rtx 2070 and 32 gb of 3200mhz ram

Why are you doing a new build with last gen parts? The platform (mainboard) is also outdated as @Smit Devrukhkar already mentioned

I'm pretty sure premiere pro mainly for video editing 

I would definitely use an AMD build here as they offer more cores for a cheaper price. The more cores you have the faster it renders, as I am sadly experiencing right now (20 hours... ).

Can you waith another month? AMD is releasing their 4th gen. processors in around a month or so.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Why are you doing a new build with last gen parts? The platform (mainboard) is also outdated as @Smit Devrukhkar already mentioned

Everthing in the build is on sale at memory express right now for 150-200$ off . Hes not looking to upgrade anything in the future and instead just wants a pc that's going to last a few years for his start up photography and editing business. 

7 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I would definitely use an AMD build here as they offer more cores for a cheaper price. The more cores you have the faster it renders, as I am sadly experiencing right now (20 hours... )

I was going to do an amd build but sadly I believe the only ryzen cpu available to me is a r7 3800xt but the i9 is going for 520$right now where as the ryzen 7 is going for 570

Hes not looking to upgrade anything in the future and instead just wants a pc that's going to last a few years for his start up photography and editing business. 

If buys the i9 9900k he is missing out on 2 more cores if he goes Intel and 4 or more with AMD and not to mention lower clocks.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

5 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I would definitely use an AMD build here as they offer more cores for a cheaper price. The more cores you have the faster it renders, as I am sadly experiencing right now (20 hours... ).

Can you waith another month? AMD is releasing their 4th gen. processors in around a month or so.

Can't you use quicksync on intel to speed up renders? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Can't you use quicksync on intel to speed up renders? 

I am a total newbie.
It is my first project and I am trying to upscale 3 hours of old VHS tapes with adobe after effects. Thanks for the hint because I have an Intel and didn´t know this might speed things up. I will do some research

No, you shouldn't get a 2070 anymore unless you get a bargain somewhere.

I would wait for the 3070 and see what happens

22 minutes ago, Theminirex said:

And as he is only doing 1440p is it even worth spending the extra money or should we save the money and out it towards a better monitor?

12 minutes ago, Theminirex said:

Everthing in the build is on sale at memory express right now for 150-200$ off .

I think it is a worthy tradeoff. I mean it is still pretty good hardware and a new monitor is helpful in editing because you need to see the differences and details