Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minaey

Record a Screen with a webcam

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi All,

 

for work I need to record some data and documents from a 1080p screen at a terminal and show it to me colleagues abroad. There is no chance to capture directly from this device as it does not have a broadband connection. Which webcam would you recommend to use to do so and is there anyone having experience with this?

 

I remember the old LTT Videos has recordings from screens before screen capture was a thing and I have to go back to this.

 

Thanks in Advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Minaey said:

Hi All,

 

for work I need to record some data and documents from a 1080p screen at a terminal and show it to me colleagues abroad. There is no chance to capture directly from this device as it does not have a broadband connection. Which webcam would you recommend to use to do so and is there anyone having experience with this?

 

I remember the old LTT Videos has recordings from screens before screen capture was a thing and I have to go back to this.

 

Thanks in Advance

You might as well use your phone camera as webcams aren't that good quality. You have to spend a a lot, and I mean upwards to possibly 80 bucks to get a webcam of decent quality. In fact, using your phone has become one of the more popular ways of getting a good image for virtual meetings in the age of teleworking. 

https://www.wired.com/story/use-your-phone-as-webcam/

 

Using a DSLR camera as a webcam has also been popular.


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Link to post
Share on other sites

why not just record the screen with something like bandicam and just usb the files off the machine and send those?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Minaey said:

for work I need to record some data and documents from a 1080p screen at a terminal and show it to me colleagues abroad. There is no chance to capture directly from this device as it does not have a broadband connection.

I don't understand this. What's having a broadband got to do with it? OBS, for example, can record to local files -- no Internet-connection needed at all.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You might as well use your phone camera as webcams aren't that good quality. You have to spend a a lot, and I mean upwards to possibly 80 bucks to get a webcam of decent quality. In fact, using your phone has become one of the more popular ways of getting a good image for virtual meetings in the age of teleworking. 

https://www.wired.com/story/use-your-phone-as-webcam/

 

Using a DSLR camera as a webcam has also been popular.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look and try it with a phone. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
45 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I don't understand this. What's having a broadband got to do with it? OBS, for example, can record to local files -- no Internet-connection needed at all.

The terminal can not be accessed and has no ports, there is no possibility to install any software. So I am only trying to find out what would be the most economical way of recording and streaming whatever is shown on the screen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
51 minutes ago, emosun said:

why not just record the screen with something like bandicam and just usb the files off the machine and send those?

I have to do it live as I have someone in a conference call that needs to see the data.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Minaey said:

The terminal can not be accessed and has no ports, there is no possibility to install any software. So I am only trying to find out what would be the most economical way of recording and streaming whatever is shown on the screen.

Ah, well, that explains it better. And there's no possibility of using e.g. one of those cheap, 17€ USB-based HDMI-capture-devices on eBay/Amazon/Aliexpress? If not, then I guess I agree with @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A laptop and a usb vga capture card.

Use the phone's wireless hotspot to create an internet connection for the laptop,  connect the usb vga capture card into the laptop and the other end in the computer's vga output

Stream to a private Twitch / Youtube channel, or to that conferences' stream server (obs can upload to any compliant rtmp server)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×