Windows To Go and Linux on the same SSD?

Sandi1987

I installed Windows To Go first and then create partition for Linux and now i can only boot in Linux. I'm using external SSD.

I have a microSD card with both Windows to go and Ubuntu installed, no problem. Make sure that you set up linux to install the boot manager on that drive and not another.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

If you must dual boot both Windows and Linux, do not put both OSes on the same drive. Instead use two separate Drives for each OSes, with its own bootloader on the same drive as the OS. 

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend using two separate drives for windows and Linux. (LITERALLY HEAVEN ON EARTH COMPARED TO ON THE SAME DRIVE)

But, if you install windows first, you may run into issues because windows likes to take up the entire drive when installing while linux often lets you chose. I recommend using GRUB as a boot loader as you can get cool themes for it like Grub Fallout Theme.

Some people like to use rEFInd to chose which to boot into because you can theme it a little nicer, however I eventually stopped using it because rEFInd would boot into grub when i chose linux, and grub would let me chose between linux and windows, so I would have to chose linux twice.