Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hakemon

Only 300 Watts Under Load

Posted · Original PosterOP

I always thought the load would be higher than this.  I have a GTX 1050 Ti that runs at 1890MHz under full load, an FX-8320 at 4GHz, 4 sticks of DDR3, 1 SSD, 1 spinning rust, and a sound card as well, and any USB accessory (keyboard, mouse, card reader, webcam).  Under full load with Furmark and CPU-Z (I tried AIDA64 and Prime 95, no difference with either), the load never really goes above 300, or sometimes 330 watts..

I thought though that all of this would be consuming more power than that.  I have a 780 watt PSU and I'm starting to think I may have over shot a little, but at least I have a heck of a head room.

Here's a screenshot.  I am using my UPS as a Kill A Watt (the PC is the only thing plugged in, no monitors or anything else.)

load.png

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo                    RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mouse: Lenovo Legion M500 Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

780W PSU?

What PSU is that?

But yeah you have a lot of room there for upgrades and or a new build depending on what the actual PSU is and if it can actually supply 780W or not....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

9 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

780W PSU?

What PSU is that?

But yeah you have a lot of room there for upgrades and or a new build depending on what the actual PSU is and if it can actually supply 780W or not....

It's an Ultra LSP.  And woops, 750 watts.

inside.jpg

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo                    RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

9 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

LSP.  And woops, 750 watts.

inside.jpg

That's a 540W PSU on the 12V+ not 750W or anywhere near it.... FAKE 750W PSU....

Very low quality PSU... You actually have no room to do anything.... Because we don't know if it can even put out the 540W.... That's how low quality it is.....

Replace it 1st before doing anything as far as upgrades or rebuild etc...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

The FX-8320 has a TDP of 125W, and the 1050 Ti has a TDP of 75W. Add that together, add 5W for an HDD, 5W for all the fans, chipset around 10W, 5W for the RAM, and a little bit of extra power on the CPU because those never quite stick to their TDP. You end up with about 230W. Add in power supply inefficiency, which is probably somewhere around 80% at that load and you end up with right around 300 watts from the wall. Seems reasonable to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

7 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

That's a 540W PSU on the 12V+ not 750W or anywhere near it....

Very low quality PSU... You actually have no room to do anything.... Because we don't know if it can even put out the 540W....

Replace it 1st before doing anything as far as upgrades or rebuild etc...

PSU wattage is usually labelled based on total power, not just one of the rails.  Also, I went through reviews before getting the PSU, 4.5 out of 5 stars was common across multiple sites when I purchased it (and still seem to be), I've honestly never had any issues where it dropped out or sagged.  Voltages on it are pretty spot on, 12v at 12.01, 5v at 4.98v, that's pretty good (and tested with a Fluke).

I think only the older Ultra's were lousy, because later models like mine had far less complaints.

6 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

The FX-8320 has a TDP of 125W, and the 1050 Ti has a TDP of 75W. Add that together, add 5W for an HDD, 5W for all the fans, chipset around 10W, 5W for the RAM, and a little bit of extra power on the CPU because those never quite stick to their TDP. You end up with about 230W. Add in power supply inefficiency, which is probably somewhere around 80% at that load and you end up with right around 300 watts from the wall. Seems reasonable to me.

Works for me then.  Apparently at most it's only costing me 30 bucks a month if I ran full load 24/7, which I wouldn't do, I couldn't afford it here where I live, but under normal use, looks like I'm only pulling around 8.5 watts based on how many hours a day I use the computer.  I can totally live with that since I don't game that much, it's just more video editing once in a while and that's it at most.

1050ti should not use more than 100w of power.

You're overshooting by alot.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

8 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

PSU wattage is usually labelled based on total power, not just one of the rails.  Also, I went through reviews before getting the PSU, 4.5 out of 5 stars was common across multiple sites when I purchased it (and still seem to be), I've honestly never had any issues where it dropped out or sagged.  Voltages on it are pretty spot on, 12v at 12.01, 5v at 4.98v, that's pretty good (and tested with a Fluke).

I think only the older Ultra's were lousy, because later models like mine had far less complaints.

Reviews on websites like Amazon etc are useless.. And mean nothing, actually less than nothing... ;)

Professional reviews however that do complete tear downs and testing using the proper equipment for testing PSUs are valid...

The 12V+ rail is the most important because it's what powers the main parts of the PC as in the CPU and Graphics card....

Yours says it's 540W...... I doubt it can even do that much.....

For a PSU to be valid and real it needs to be able to put out all of it's rated power on the 12V+, or at least 98% of it anyway...

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Woah GIF | Gfycat

Yeah, I know.... 

I am still laughing..... 🤣

Well unfortunately I'm not made of money, so jokes on me then haha, make fun of my PSU purchase, when I BARELY scrape by and saved up a lot to get any of the parts I got.

Great, guess I should just be ashamed of it, even though it's never given me problems for years, and I spent more money on things like car repairs, power bill hikes, and then COVID so my CC has been overused.  But hey, make fun of my PSU even though it's never actually failed.

I only asked because I was wondering if the usage was normal at all, not to make me feel bad about my purchase after making my decision based on what I could actually afford, and no duh I can't just go by reviews on Amazon.  I checked multiple sources when I purchased it years ago.

Forget I ever asked.  Elitism LTT club is the general attitude I see here from a lot of members.  I'm outta here, never using this account again.

3 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Well unfortunately I'm not made of money, so jokes on me then haha, make fun of my PSU purchase, when I BARELY scrape by and saved up a lot to get any of the parts I got.

Great, guess I should just be ashamed of it, even though it's never given me problems for years, and I spent more money on things like car repairs, power bill hikes, and then COVID so my CC has been overused.  But hey, make fun of my PSU even though it's never actually failed.

I only asked because I was wondering if the usage was normal at all, not to make me feel bad about my purchase after making my decision based on what I could actually afford, and no duh I can't just go by reviews on Amazon.  I checked multiple sources when I purchased it years ago.

Should have checked actual PSU reviews.... And or forums like this one.....

Yes, we do understand budget.... And I am sure we could have helped you pick something a lot better quality for around the same price...

You made a mistake, it happens.

It's something to learn from.

3 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Should have check actual PSU reviews.... And or forums like this one.....

Yes, we do understand budget.... And I am sure we could have helped you pick something a lot better quality for around the same price...

You made a mistake, it happens.

It's something to learn from.

I have been using this PSU for 5 years, and never had an issue.  It does not have cheap caps inside, Panasonic and UCC are the brands used, I am not calling it cheap when it actually has name brand components inside (even DC to DC converters are of decent brands), and has tested just fine.

Just now, Hakemon said:

I have been using this PSU for 5 years, and never had an issue.  It does not have cheap caps inside, Panasonic and UCC are the brands used, I am not calling it cheap when it actually has name brand components inside, and has tested just fine.

Link to valid tests?

The only reason it has lasted this long is because it's not actually supplying any wattage more than maybe 250W or so.......

Believe me if your system was pulling any kind of real wattage it would have died by now at the very least.

Just now, Ankerson said:

Link to valid tests?

The only reason it has lasted this long is because it's not actually supplying any wattage more than maybe 250W or so.......

Believe me if your system was pulling any kind of real wattage it would have died by now at the very least.

What valid test?  It's MY test.  And I think my years of EE work for HP honestly stands ground when I say that the PSU is designed decently inside.  So rather than piss on my post and start laughing your asses off at me, maybe consider my background a little.  I think my post history will verify my EE abilities, considering I've been reverse engineering a vintage computers video subsystem to do repair on it without schematics or even so much as a block diagram of how it works.

But, rather than just say, yes, the load was correct, you're more worried to try and "educate" me.  Well it wasn't asked for, and if I hadn't been having issues with it, it's fine.

Either way, I'm signing out and gone.  I'm honestly tired of it.  I mentioned it in another thread a while back that a lot of the members are honestly just rude and have an elitism attitude, and it seems to stick to this community.  Sadly it has nothing to do with LTT themselves, it's the crowed it apparently gathers of know it all's where their only source of knowledge has been YouTuber or forums, rather than an actual electronics engineering degree.

Goodbye.

15 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

What valid test?  It's MY test.  And I think my years of EE work for HP honestly stands ground when I say that the PSU is designed decently inside.  So rather than piss on my post and start laughing your asses off at me, maybe consider my background a little.  I think my post history will verify my EE abilities, considering I've been reverse engineering a vintage computers video subsystem to do repair on it without schematics or even so much as a block diagram of how it works.

But, rather than just say, yes, the load was correct, you're more worried to try and "educate" me.  Well it wasn't asked for, and if I hadn't been having issues with it, it's fine.

Either way, I'm signing out and gone.  I'm honestly tired of it.  I mentioned it in another thread a while back that a lot of the members are honestly just rude and have an elitism attitude, and it seems to stick to this community.  Sadly it has nothing to do with LTT themselves, it's the crowed it apparently gathers of know it all's where their only source of knowledge has been YouTuber or forums, rather than an actual electronics engineering degree.

Goodbye.

I am still waiting for tests done with the Proper testing equipment used to test PSUs.

Those people that do these tests are actually qualified to do them. 

There are no elitists' here that I have seen...

Your PSU isn't even listed on the 80 Plus Website.... That's a problem..

28 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Panasonic and UCC are the brands used,

Preeeeety sure the caps in that PSU are not Matsushita or Chemi-Con.  Might want to double check that.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Preeeeety sure the caps in that PSU are not Matsushita or Chemi-Con.  Might want to double check that.

The only legit review I remember on those is long gone now, I remember it was pretty bad though....

You'd be surprised how little power is actually used sometimes.

My 8300 @4.5 1.47v ghz r9 fury nitro overclock under prime and furmark pulls 380-400watts from the wall with two monitors

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

33 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

I have been using this PSU for 5 years, and never had an issue.

Same can be said for people with Diablotek PSUs. That does not equal good quality at all. Just because you are using components with low loads doesn't make the PSU any less of a bomb. I know this using an Ultra PSU with nearly the same setup, a FX-8320 with a 1050ti but only 16GB of RAM. Guess what? It caught fire one day after a routine cleaning of the PC. I had to order a new PSU but thankfully it didn't take out anything with it, just some burn marks on the case, which I can live with. Of course, it's just my backup PC so I don't care if it gets taken out.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: Asus Dual OC 2080  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia (Proprietary Thermaltake View 21, side intake, not front)  PSU: ATNG 800w 80+ Bronze (replacing when shortage is over) Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Acer XG270HU (27" 1440p 144hz TN), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

1 minute ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Same can be said for people with Diablotek PSUs. That does not equal good quality at all. Just because you are using components with low loads doesn't make the PSU any less of a bomb. I know this using an Ultra PSU with nearly the same setup, a FX-8320 with a 1050ti but only 16GB of RAM. Guess what? It caught fire one day after a routine cleaning of the PC. I had to order a new PSU but thankfully it didn't take out anything with it, just some burn marks on the case, which I can live with. Of course, it's just my backup PC so I don't care if it gets taken out.

😮

20 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Same can be said for people with Diablotek PSUs

We used to get stuff like that a lot on the other forums..

Been using X PSU for Y number of years so it must be good etc, etc...

But yes, if they aren't really loading up the unit then they would never know one way or the other unless it was a fire ball like yours was.

And those are the ones you find reviewing on Amazon etc..... Or they make a YT video telling everyone how great they are... And the deal they got....

49 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Link to valid tests?

Bad PSUs are significantly less likely to die or cause component damage than you seem to think. Remember that there are millions of computers out there in offices around the globe running 230W OEM PSUs that would be six levels below F-tier on the PSU tier list, and yet they don't die every four months, or even four years.

Are they worse than other PSUs? Yes. Do they die? Yes. But it genuinely isn't very common. You only hear the horror stories, so the bad tales seem more common than they actually are.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

33 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Bad PSUs are significantly less likely to die or cause component damage than you seem to think. Remember that there are millions of computers out there in offices around the globe running 230W OEM PSUs that would be six levels below F-tier on the PSU tier list, and yet they don't die every four months, or even four years.

Are they worse than other PSUs? Yes. Do they die? Yes. But it genuinely isn't very common. You only hear the horror stories, so the bad tales seem more common than they actually are.

Yeah, I know, I worked on them for about 20 years.... Dells and IBMs mostly.. For office machines and then those consumer PCs of various brands....

But those units weren't BAD units either.... And they are speced out for the machines they were in so there is a difference.. And they were fine in the proprietary machines they were in.

But you take those PSUs out of those machines and try and use them somewhere else out of their design specs and well.....

Still not the same thing as getting some off the wall named PSU from someplace that's not even rated with X wattage stuck on it that's not even real... For the consumer market.... Were unsuspecting people buy them because they just don't know any better.... And or there aren't any better options they know of or they fit into their price range etc....

We don't see the majority of those people on the forums because they take their PCs to get fixed locally and or they just aren't on the forums. 

It's a big wide world out there outside of the forums.