[Developing] Consumers mass troll 3080 scalpers and potentially cost them in fees

rcmaehl

People who do this have too much time on their hands. People wouldn’t sell at this price of people didn’t buy. Just don’t buy overpriced stuff. 

i really don't see the big deal. just don't buy the thing if you don't like it and move on.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:50 PM, rcmaehl said:

It seems some consumers have had enough with scalpers on eBay lately, with reports of people heavily overbidding on 3080 listings and not paying to cost scalpers eBay fees and other inconveniences.

is this stuff even legal?

I mean at least in germany as far as I am aware an ebay instant purchase or bid (if you end up being the highest bidder) you enter a binding contract of purchase and both sides are obligated to do their part. the seller must deliver and the buyer must pay.

There was a guy who made a thread in the Console sub forum saying he already had pre-ordered 2 PS5s, made a new Microsoft account to buy another but used the same card so they rejected the order and he is currently checking all possible websites to buy some more and he admitted to buying them to "flip" them.

People like that are everywhere sadly.

31 minutes ago, My1 said:

is this stuff even legal?

I mean at least in germany as far as I am aware an ebay instant purchase or bid (if you end up being the highest bidder) you enter a binding contract of purchase and both sides are obligated to do their part. the seller must deliver and the buyer must pay.

This is indeed the case in Germany except if one side makes an obvious error, like a mistype. I remember a seller who accidently sold his BMW for 1 € . The German court decided in the end that he has not to hand over his car.

7 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

There was a guy who made a thread in the Console sub forum saying he already had pre-ordered 2 PS5s, made a new Microsoft account to buy another but used the same card so they rejected the order and he is currently checking all possible websites to buy some more and he admitted to buying them to "flip" them.

People like that are everywhere sadly.

While I can admire the capitalistic endeavor here, I think this kind of thing is pretty scummy.

2 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

While I can admire the capitalistic endeavor here, I think this kind of thing is pretty scummy.

It is actually a lot worse for consoles because 3080s are bought by hardcore nersd with no self control whereas those next gen consoles are often purchased by poor parents who can't buy their kids a gaming PC and need to buy them for Christmas to avoid their kids going on a tantrum. That's the entire reason those consoles are so cheap. It's disgusting to take advantage of those parents who are now going to buy them for twice the cost off Ebay just to not disappoint their kids.

20 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

avoid their kids going on a tantrum

With all due respect, they're parenting wrong if that's their solution to a tantrum.

Still, your general point is made.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

33 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

This is indeed the case in Germany except if one side makes an obvious error, like a mistype. I remember a seller who accidently sold his BMW for 1 € . The German court decided in the end that he has not to hand over his car.

but when the bidding history goes from like 40k to 50k there's no big enough typo like missing a zero that can avoid that.

• 3 months later...

Good.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

*** Thread locked ***

There's very rarely good reason to dug up thread after several months.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv