[Developing] Consumers mass troll 3080 scalpers and potentially cost them in fees

rcmaehl

honestly it's not about whether ebay charges them a fee

it's delaying their sales enough so people wont even bother paying such high prices for it anymore when 2nd batch arrives, so they're basically earning close to nothing

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

15 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Good. It's what they deserve, assholes. If you want a cool graphic card to play games on, great, buy one. If you're buying one just to inflate the price and sell them to gamers who want them, go eat s**t. These are the same idiots who were hoarding toilet paper in the beginnings of coronavirus. Exact same assholes.

In this case (and unlike with the TP/Sanitizer), the scalpers made the unfortunate choice to target the community that is most likely to have the wherewithal to bite back. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Too bad scalpers have existed for eons at this point.

When a product is this hyped and there are just enough crazed people with wallets thicker than their brain mass going to buy one, scalpers are gonna come outta their holes.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

How long is the trolling going to last?

Until stocks and availability are at a level where normal retailers dont constantly sell out.

Once supply is up to scratch the Anti Scalper bots can turn of. Any1 at that point buying of a scalper at a higher than retail price is likely clinically retarded. The majority of the 'scalpers' will have to lower prices to compete with retail thus making nothing, in fact probably loosing money.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Scalping movie & music tickets is illegal & you can get banned from conventions for partaking in scalp business. Maybe the government should attack eBay scalpers. 

Day 0 & day 1 stuff. Not people that bought limited products and 1 year down the line sell them without opening them because they never used them. 

17 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

Fees aren't paid out until the product is actually sold.

There's also the possibility to easily prevent this by restricting who can bid on your item, as this "maneuver" can only be done through burner accounts (unless someone is dumb enough to break eBay's number one rule from his regular account). 

12 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

The unfortunate choice of targeting the community most likely to throw a tantrum about not getting their new toy when they want it 👶

Sounds like something a reseller would say.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Sounds like something a reseller would say.

Are you implying only a reseller would recognize a tantrum when he sees one? Why, though? 

Me, I'm seeing as much a availability as last week (none), so my life isn't any worse this week than last. I'll bother looking at reviews and prices when there's actually a purchase decision to be made. No clue when that'll be: I'm currently living in a developing country, where availability and pricing seldom matches the US' or Europe's, for any product, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there. No scalpers here because there's nothing to scalp. 

I guess that helps with the whole not having spoiled brat tantrums thing. Or maybe it's being over 18, can't be sure. 

Anyway, first world problems, I guess. 

17 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

Like I said, I use a 5 year old Quadro. I did not, and still do not, plan to buy anything from Nvidia this launch cycle.

Meanwhile, people whose sole intention is to buy a $700+ product to play video games, are generating pages worth of hatred because someone else bought them all before they did, for a product that they'll be able to get within a month.

Right because someone buying somthing they have no intent to use is the same as someone wanting to buy something they intend to use. As noted this is also illegal with many products in many parts of the world.

5 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

And it's not illegal on this product, so it's not worth your time, or anyone else's time, being upset over it 😉

Ruight because thats the mark for weather we should be upset at somthing. BZZZT Wrong. In general things get made illegal, (or otherwise have independent action taken against them), when people raise a fuss about them. Everything it's now illegal to resell used to be legal. It got changed because people got up in arms about it as they are here. For that matter NVIDIA has come out and said this is not acceptable and is an abuse of their store.

In defense of scalpers (in a situation where all bids are legitimate) these guys are using an auction format and as such aren't setting the price at all.  The bidders are setting the price.  But that's in a situation where all bids are from folks with the actual intention of buying.  

So if you really wanted to hurt a scammer then let the guy with the first bid win the auction (if there isn't some absurd reserve set).  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

25 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

So you'd like to make people buying your toy before you get one illegal?

Reselling things on release day, sure. As an aside in case you missed it i'm a 2080Ti owner with no intent to upgrade. I have no more stake in this than you on a personal level, so take you insinuation elsewhere please.

These two scalpers bought Zotac's inventory on Amazon at $729, they then proceeded to list the product on the same page for $1400 and $1699.

516894386_ScreenShot2020-09-18at12_36_36.thumb.png.202d6c02d97e88f2652389b1d9effc7b.png

19 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Aye indeed, its not costing them money, its costing them the time and possibly stress of re posting them.

If enough people run the bots for long enough, these fkers will never sell the cards. At least until stocks are high enough that people dont need to go to ebay to get one, at which point the 'scalpers' will be out of pocket as they will be forced to sell them at a loss just to get rid of them.

The final value fee can be like 10% of the value, but only if the buyer pays it.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

The final value fee can be like 10% of the value, but only if the buyer pays it.

Yup. Or if you have a different agreement with eBay it can be lowered to £29 monthly subscription + 4% fees.

Tech products by default without a special agreement are 10% though.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

So you'd like to make people buying your toy before you get one illegal?

You seem to not have any grasp on what this does to the market. Also its not that were upset that we just got beat to the purchase, were pissed that assholes bought up to 40+ of them and are hiking the prices up 3-4 times the original costs. Its a disgusting practice and fuck you and anyone else who supports this bull shit. Scum bags literally ripping the fun away from people during a pandemic as well is just classless.. 

39 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

Okay, believe it or not I have a solution!

1. Don't buy any of the 3080s being sold by scalpers!
  2. Wait a couple weeks, and buy one at MSRP!

See, look at all the anguish I just saved you 😜

This doesn't work like you said.

There is STILL a supply problem, and supply problems influence the market, because demand isn't being met.  Did you graduate high school?  Did you take economics in college?  Did you even study econ, which anyone on the internet can do easily these days?  You can even look to very recent history, to see exactly what happened with toliet paper.  There was no reduced capacity to supply toliet paper to the market.  Just some rumor in Japan about some factories shutting down caused panic buying, which then spread everywhere, then every overweight/obese person with a gigantic SUV and truck had to buy as much as they could fit in their vehicles.

You don't seem to be someone who understands how market forces work, and the dangers of unregulated, "pure" capitalism.

You just be someone who gets their super high end parts on day 1 then looks down on everyone who doesn't, calling them "censored bums" while you brag about your super high clocks and FPS to all your buddies for your 5 minutes of fame.

On 9/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, CircleTech said:

Yeah this cannot happen. Read my writeup. eBay will place the $8000 as a balance that you have to pay on an invoice, and you only have to pay off this balance at the end of the month. So no, this whole troll thing couldn't even do that. 

BTW I do have a credit card with a 30K limit.

Hmmmm...don't know about you but either something has changed significantly or maybe UK division was more aggressive but eBay UK would automatically charge the invoice from your paypal account at the end of the month (even if there are unpaid sales) and when your paypal account did go into the negative (the charge would ignore if there is actual funding on your paypal so it goes negative), paypal were very quick to get debt collection on your ass. How do I know? Had a few unpaid sales, my bank had just cancelled cards for suspicious activity and before I was able to finish dealing with my bank, a recollection agency had already been set by paypal for the negative balance as eBay had already charged the invoice in full (thankfully it was only a warning as it wasn't recorded on credit history) so my experience says otherwise.

At least here in the UK, the average credit card limit is like £3000 and short of either multi-millionaires or larger business owners, the vast majority of people will get nowhere near a £5K limit so you're pretty lucky to have a 30K credit limit (or maybe people just get a lot more credit in the US). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

14 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

Okay, believe it or not I have a solution!

1. Don't buy any of the 3080s being sold by scalpers!
  2. Wait a couple weeks, and buy one at MSRP!

See, look at all the anguish I just saved you 😜

Yeah, but why do we have to wait for weeks just because of these douchebags when everyone could just buy it normal? Sure, a lot of us want RTX 3080 cards, but there are also people who want RTX 3090 and some who already know they want to wait for RTX 3070 and some who don't want either and know they'll grab RTX 3060 when it comes out. And then there are people who won't ever buy GeForce and are waiting for AMD's release of RX 6000 series.

If 30 people can get the actua graphic card, that's already better than 30 cards sitting in someone's bedroom because they hoarded them and trying to rip off people who wanted them.

Also, I want to know how the F they managed to get hands on them. Connections or some other way? Coz there is no way just relying on some bots can give you such advantage, especially when all webpages were just shitting themselves because of all the interest for the cards.

29 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

(or maybe people just get a lot more credit in the US). 

If you pay all your bills on time and use credit then a 24yo in the US can get about as much credit as they want I had $150k of credit  at 24YO I always thought that as crazy I could have $150k in plastic and use it all but if I wanted a $40k business loan No Bueno

They need to ban BounceAlert that software allows bots to grab the 3080's before consumers do.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmm...don't know about you but either something has changed significantly or maybe UK division was more aggressive but eBay UK would automatically charge the invoice from your paypal account at the end of the month (even if there are unpaid sales) and when your paypal account did go into the negative (the charge would ignore if there is actual funding on your paypal so it goes negative), paypal were very quick to get debt collection on your ass. How do I know? Had a few unpaid sales, my bank had just cancelled cards for suspicious activity and before I was able to finish dealing with my bank, a recollection agency had already been set by paypal for the negative balance as eBay had already charged the invoice in full (thankfully it was only a warning as it wasn't recorded on credit history) so my experience says otherwise.

At least here in the UK, the average credit card limit is like £3000 and short of either multi-millionaires or larger business owners, the vast majority of people will get nowhere near a £5K limit so you're pretty lucky to have a 30K credit limit (or maybe people just get a lot more credit in the US). 

In the States, credit cards generally have more generous rewards and steeper merchant fees (sometimes in excess of 2.5% charged to the merchant) to compensate. With a few exceptions (where I live), stores generally are contractually forbidden to charge higher prices or fees to credit card users. 

As a result, there are a fair number of credit card users that use their card for everyday spending so as to collect on the rewards, while paying off the balance in full every month to avoid interest charges. Again with few exceptions, the (responsible) cardholder generally comes out ahead vs buyers exclusively using debit or cash. My own card is a 2% cash back (the Citi Double Cash to be exact), which over year of using it on stuff I’d normally spend money on, definitely adds up. 

Naturally, despite full payments every month, this type of use results in a heightened credit utilization which can negatively impact your credit rating. Higher limits offsets the credit utilization impact. 

From what I’d read, credit card issuers are allowed to charge significantly lesser fees to merchants, which reduces the motive for issuers to provide rewards. No incentive means that cardholders use them much more seldom, and so probably means a much lessened need for a high credit limit. If the credit scoring system in the UK weighs credit utilization differently (here, it can mean up to 30% of one’s score), that may also go a long way in explaining a lesser demand for high limits. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…