i want a cheap 10 gig nas

i would get a athlon 3000g a a320 mobo a generic case 2x4tb hdds and 1x2tb hdd 8gbs ram and a psu obv

what's your price range? are you set on new parts or used parts would be fine? how much storage are you wanting to have at the end? what will the NAS be used for? 10g networking comes along with the need for other 10g components so what does the rest of your network look like? "cheap" and 10g networking are on opposite ends of the spectrum, to utilize 10g you will need a SATA SSD cache at a minimum, RJ45 10g starts around 100$ for just the network card, more for a switch if you are going to more than 1 other PC. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

5 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

i want to build a gas that has 10 gb capabilities but i don't know what parts to use

How many people will be utilizing it at the same time? 

$450 4tb and upgradable and used parts are fine i just want to connect it to my main pc

Why build a NAS if its only going to be your main PC? Use local storage....

P.S its all well and good putting a 10Gbit NIC into a "NAS" but consider you need an array of fast storage in order to take advantage of that speed as well.

Depending on your use case SSD caching may not be suitable for what you want. SSD Cache's are only good for frequently accessed files, or for writing small files...most affordable SSD's are TLC/QLC NAND with DRAM caches, and those caches get overwhelmed very quickly with large file writes. The real solution is expensive all flash based storage, or a large number of disks in a distributed RAID. 

As @GhostRoadieBL said....10Gbit and cheap, arent really things that go together, because theres more to consider than just the networking. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

$450 4tb and upgradable and used parts are fine i just want to connect it to my main pc

you'll be better of starting with something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Tool-Free-Magnetic-Type-Enclosure-External-Compatible/dp/B083JQHYBL/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1600387738&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSUFDRE81VzBMR1pOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjc0NDcwM1FSR0hGWVZVT1IwTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjU4MTIzMkUwTE5NQllXSFBCWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

gives you 5 bays and direct storage attached to the desktop, toss a 4TB drive or 2 in and you have direct storage access faster than your network will give you. 

for the same price as that you'll only get a pair of 10g single RJ45 network cards without any other hardware. 

If you are hell bent on a NAS,

https://www.amazon.ca/TerraMaster-F4-210-1GB-Attached-Personal/dp/B07ZV7K7GX/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1600387738&sr=8-20

that gets you started with 4 bays and remote management, runs plex etc basically everything a custom NAS will get you and way more convenient. 

building a NAS (going to be onboard 1G because there just isn't room in the budget for more) 

- start by finding a used Ryzen 1st gen desktop or motherboard/cpu combo (preferably ATX for the extra PCIE slots) for around 150$ you should be able to find a ryzen 1300 or even a 2200G with an okay motherboard. 

- 8GB of RAM is more than enough and can find that for $50 used

- cheap case or second hand tower case shouldn't be too hard to find making sure it has multiple HDD bays (hotswap may be out of the price range but internal trays will work)

- $70 for a PSU something in the 450W range will be plenty even when you expand

- $25-50 for a SATA SSD 240GB will be just fine for an OS (freeNAS, Windows, etc) 

- $100 ish for a 4TB drive to start

that's around $400 to start and later you can add a $100 10G card, higher AM4 cpu, more ram and some more Sata SSDs or PCIE SSDs in the spare pcie slots for tiered storage when you NEED to increase the performance. 

all that being said, go with the attached storage option. you can always setup a network drive from your current PC if you want to stream media to the rest of the network using the attached storage.

the reason i want a nap is because i am getting a few more computers at my house and i would want to connect them all plus my case that i have only supports 1 hard drive an 2 ssd with are all populated and nvme drives are costly

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

you'll be better of starting with something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Tool-Free-Magnetic-Type-Enclosure-External-Compatible/dp/B083JQHYBL/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1600387738&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSUFDRE81VzBMR1pOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjc0NDcwM1FSR0hGWVZVT1IwTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjU4MTIzMkUwTE5NQllXSFBCWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

gives you 5 bays and direct storage attached to the desktop, toss a 4TB drive or 2 in and you have direct storage access faster than your network will give you. 

for the same price as that you'll only get a pair of 10g single RJ45 network cards without any other hardware. 

If you are hell bent on a NAS,

https://www.amazon.ca/TerraMaster-F4-210-1GB-Attached-Personal/dp/B07ZV7K7GX/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1600387738&sr=8-20

that gets you started with 4 bays and remote management, runs plex etc basically everything a custom NAS will get you and way more convenient. 

building a NAS (going to be onboard 1G because there just isn't room in the budget for more) 

- start by finding a used Ryzen 1st gen desktop or motherboard/cpu combo (preferably ATX for the extra PCIE slots) for around 150$ you should be able to find a ryzen 1300 or even a 2200G with an okay motherboard. 

- 8GB of RAM is more than enough and can find that for $50 used

- cheap case or second hand tower case shouldn't be too hard to find making sure it has multiple HDD bays (hotswap may be out of the price range but internal trays will work)

- $70 for a PSU something in the 450W range will be plenty even when you expand

- $25-50 for a SATA SSD 240GB will be just fine for an OS (freeNAS, Windows, etc) 

- $100 ish for a 4TB drive to start

that's around $400 to start and later you can add a $100 10G card, higher AM4 cpu, more ram and some more Sata SSDs or PCIE SSDs in the spare pcie slots for tiered storage when you NEED to increase the performance. 

all that being said, go with the attached storage option. you can always setup a network drive from your current PC if you want to stream media to the rest of the network using the attached storage.

thank you is installing freenas the same as windows

10 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

thank you is installing freenas the same as windows

yes-ish 

https://www.freenas.org/about/videos/

installing is basically the same but with a lot less windows to click through, but more setup stuff after when you tell it what drives are what and accessing the settings to let your other machines access the drives. 

their videos are great and pretty easy to follow, UnRaid is another option with LTT walkthroughs as well. they both do exactly the same for your purposes so if freenas videos aren't working for you unraid works too

3 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

is unpaid free like freenas 

no unraid is paid.

You can also make a windows pc a nas easily aswell.