Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Radium_Angel

Changed CPUs (Athlon to Ryzen) now Grub shows up, how to fix?

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

AFAIK, nothing.

When I put in the new CPU, and powered back on, the mobo said "new CPU detected, resetting BIOS to default" which it was anyway (again, AFAIK) no OCing, no XMP, I think the only thing I had changed other than default, was turning off the TPM settings, since the board doesn't have a TPM unit anyway.

Nope and Nope.

Hence my surprise....

Try regenerating your grub configuration, maybe the BIOS reset randomly reassigned drive labels

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Posted · Original PosterOP

This is something I wasn't expecting.

My mobo had a lowly Athlon 3000 on it, but supported a Ryzen CPU.

So while under the Athlon, I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (XFCE edition) and all was well.

Swapped out the Athlon to the Ryzen 5 2600, reconfigured the BIOS and when the system booted, the Grub loader shows up.

Confused, I typed "exit" (or quit, don't recall which) and the system proceeded to boot into Ubuntu normally.

But every time I reboot the system, Grub shows back up again.

This is a minor problem to be sure, but still not something I had expected. How do I fix this?

IMG_20200917_1216588.jpg

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

reconfigured the BIOS

Well... what did you change?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

This means grub can't find grub.cfg

Do you by any chance dual boot or have more than one drive?

Your CPU swap shouldn't have affected anything with Grub.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

reconfigured the BIOS and when the system booted

My bet is that you changed the default EFI boot setting, try to edit it.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well... what did you change?

AFAIK, nothing.

When I put in the new CPU, and powered back on, the mobo said "new CPU detected, resetting BIOS to default" which it was anyway (again, AFAIK) no OCing, no XMP, I think the only thing I had changed other than default, was turning off the TPM settings, since the board doesn't have a TPM unit anyway.

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Do you by any chance dual boot or have more than one drive?

Nope and Nope.

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Your CPU swap shouldn't have affected anything with Grub.

Hence my surprise....

Posted · Best Answer
8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

AFAIK, nothing.

Nope and Nope.

Hence my surprise....

Try regenerating your grub configuration, maybe the BIOS reset randomly reassigned drive labels

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

You could fix it in a chroot, hopefully these paths and commands are correct. I don't use Ubuntu to verify it.

• boot a live iso and open a terminal
  • fdisk -l to find the partition Ubuntu is installed to, also note the Fat32 partition
  • mkdir /mnt
  • mount /dev/partition /mnt
  • chroot /mnt
  • cat /etc/fstab , check and see if the Fat32 partition has a mount point
    • if, yes
      • mount /dev/fat32partition /mountpath_in_fstab
      • grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=mountpath_in_fstab --bootloader-id="Ubuntu"
    • if no
      • mkdir /boot/EFI
        • if the directory already exists, that's fine
      • mount /dev/fat32partition /boot/EFI
      • grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/EFI --bootloader-id="Ubuntu"
  • grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  • exit
  • reboot

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

This solved it, thank you for this :)

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This solved it, thank you for this :)

You're welcome!

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

On 9/17/2020 at 12:14 PM, Sauron said:

You're welcome!

For me when I try this it shows it can’t find command grub-mkconfig

3 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

For me when I try this it shows it can’t find command grub-mkconfig

What distro?

1 minute ago, Rylyguy said:

I have macOS and windows dual booted

oh, MacOS will probably have an entirely different set of commands. You'd have to google the equivalent

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

oh, MacOS will probably have an entirely different set of commands. You'd have to google the equivalent

Ok I had made another post and sauron replied sending me here

13 hours ago, Rylyguy said:

I have macOS

Oh... you should have specified that in the post you made, grub is generally used with Linux

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

Oh... you should have specified that in the post you made, grub is generally used with Linux

I had put in the post that I was dual booted with macOS and windows