About Movie File Formats

First of all I am a noob so if my question point less i am sorry .

I just want to ask in what format does the red camera save a video file in ? .

I know high quality video are in mkv format but is there any other format in which red saves it or is it mkv only ?.

also when i once downloaded video from  youtube it was in mkv format . how is this possible because youtube doesn't allow mkv format ?

again I am noob sorry for any stupidity

3 minutes ago, linuxu said:

I know high quality video are in mkv format

Umm, no. Two different things. There's the codec, ie. the algorithm that is used to compress the video, and then there's the container-format, like e.g. MKV. It's the codec and the codec-settings that determine if a video is high-quality or not -- you can totally e.g. MP4-files with really high quality and MKV-files with horrible quality. The container-format does not determine the quality.

5 minutes ago, linuxu said:

also when i once downloaded video from  youtube it was in mkv format . how is this possible because youtube doesn't allow mkv format ?

Whatever software you used to download the video packed it into an MKV.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, linuxu said:

First of all I am a noob so if my question point less i am sorry .

I just want to ask in what format does the red camera save a video file in ? .

I know high quality video are in mkv format but is there any other format in which red saves it or is it mkv only ?.

again I am noob sorry for any stupidity

@WereCatf already went over codecs etc.

Believe red has a proprietary lossless codec but they're all some version of RAW.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

51 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Umm, no. Two different things. There's the codec, ie. the algorithm that is used to compress the video, and then there's the container-format, like e.g. MKV. It's the codec and the codec-settings that determine if a video is high-quality or not -- you can totally e.g. MP4-files with really high quality and MKV-files with horrible quality. The container-format does not determine the quality.

Whatever software you used to download the video packed it into an MKV.

so i can have a 50gb video file in mp4 format ?. or a 8k or 4k or bluray in mp4 format?

also why mp4 video file has all details in it but mkv doesn't ? like when we see properties of file in windows

42 minutes ago, linuxu said:

so i can have a 50gb video file in mp4 format ?. or a 8k or 4k or bluray in mp4 format?

Sure, except for BluRay. BluRay isn't a resolution, it's its own container-format and codec.

42 minutes ago, linuxu said:

also why mp4 video file has all details in it but mkv doesn't ? like when we see properties of file in windows

Windows doesn't have native support for MKV-files. Doesn't mean the data isn't there, though. With something like e.g. VLC you can view the metadata, if the encoder has put something there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Sure.

Windows doesn't have native support for MKV-files. Doesn't mean the data isn't there, though. With something like e.g. VLC you can view the metadata, if the encoder has put something there.

Thank you very much for answering my question.

most higher end cameras and recorders spit out prores/cinema DNG along with some flavor of raw Blackmagic raw, ARRI raw, Red code raw

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 9/17/2020 at 9:47 PM, WereCatf said:

Sure, except for BluRay. BluRay isn't a resolution, it's its own container-format and codec.

Does Raw Footage look bad ? I downloaded 5k video sample from red's website and opened it with red player 64-bit . it was not looking like 5k 

22 minutes ago, linuxu said:

Does Raw Footage look bad ? I downloaded 5k video sample from red's website and opened it with red player 64-bit . it was not looking like 5k 

Raw-format pictures and videos are typically not even meant to look good, since whoever is using the footage/pictures is supposed to manually tune it for their purposes. As for "looking like 5k", I have no idea what you mean with that. "5k" is just the resolution, it doesn't mean anything else.

5 hours ago, linuxu said:

it often doesn't have much color information

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Raw-format pictures and videos are typically not even meant to look good, since whoever is using the footage/pictures is supposed to manually tune it for their purposes. As for "looking like 5k", I have no idea what you mean with that. "5k" is just the resolution, it doesn't mean anything else.

By 5k i meant we expect a video with a good quality and its was not also now i know why it was not . thank you

8 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

it often doesn't have much color information

thank you