Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ernspiker76

Canadian universities using invasive spyware "Proctortrack" to monitor students during exams. Includes: facial recognition, room scans, knuckle scans

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Interesting, it was 90min when I did those, really nothing was longer, general ones were 45min. 

The only exams that were 45 minutes for me, were the old school exams where it's basically "choose between A, B, C, D" with maybe two to five questions where you had to write more than 1 word. Those are essentially primary school level exams. Haven't had one of those in AGES. I miss them... So easy.

But for our language exams here, you don't know the subject of the exam in advance, you literally can't prepare for it.

You turn the page and you find out your subject is some random ass crap like "a love in autumn that ended like a leaf in the wind" (or some other ridiculous crap like that)... the type that you need to write a story with the Intro, Body and Conclusion with a minimum number of word (worse yet, a random poem subject with a minimum number of words... and you HAVE to rhymes it up).

Ain't possible. Since every single exam past the second year of high school, demanded at least 400 words... and it goes up with each passing year. In my first semester of college, it was 750 words. 

No matter how fast you write, it's impossible to do that in just 90 minutes. The average COPYING writing speed is 13 words per minute by hand. That's 47 minutes, NON-STOP for 600 words. This is assuming you know exactly what you need to write.

If you're some sort of language genius, it might be possible to come up with a random story based on a random subject when put on the spot... But I sure as hell can't. I still need to make a plan, do some form of draft... Ain't no way I can do that in just 90 minutes. Heck, I can't even do a proper draft in 3 hours, I run out of time and I just have the draft and no clean copy.... (My fast writing speed is like 1 page in 15 minutes, but that's unreadable by anyone other than me. My "clean" writing speed... Is closer to 1 page every 30~40 minutes. 1 page is on average about 250~300 words for me.)

Now if it's done on PC... That's another story... But you need a special condition where I live to be allowed to use a computer for language exams (Except now with Covid, I guess...).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

The only exams that were 45 minutes for me, were the old school exams where it's basically "choose between A, B, C, D" with maybe two to five questions where you had to write more than 1 word. Those are essentially primary school level exams. Haven't had one of those in AGES. I miss them... So easy.

But for our language exams here, you don't know the subject of the exam in advance, you literally can't prepare for it.

You turn the page and you find out your subject is some random ass crap like "a love in autumn that ended like a leaf in the wind" (or some other ridiculous crap like that)... the type that you need to write a story with the Intro, Body and Conclusion with a minimum number of word (worse yet, a random poem subject with a minimum number of words... and you HAVE to rhymes it up).

Ain't possible. Since every single exam past the second year of high school, demanded at least 400 words... and it goes up with each passing year. In my first semester of college, it was 750 words. 

No matter how fast you write, it's impossible to do that in just 90 minutes. The average COPYING writing speed is 13 words per minute by hand. That's 47 minutes, NON-STOP for 600 words. This is assuming you know exactly what you need to write.

If you're some sort of language genius, it might be possible to come up with a random story based on a random subject when put on the spot... But I sure as hell can't. I still need to make a plan, do some form of draft... Ain't no way I can do that in just 90 minutes. Heck, I can't even do a proper draft in 3 hours, I run out of time and I just have the draft and no clean copy.... (My fast writing speed is like 1 page in 15 minutes, but that's unreadable by anyone other than me. My "clean" writing speed... Is closer to 1 page every 30~40 minutes. 1 page is on average about 250~300 words for me.)

Now if it's done on PC... That's another story... But you need a special condition where I live to be allowed to use a computer for language exams (Except now with Covid, I guess...).

Hmm I guess depends from person to person too for sure. Yeah I knew you were talking about the subject you don't know in advance. Those essay like stuff.  Also that number of words too. Then again, I for the most part refused to do draft then re-write stuff ugh. I'd try to form most of it in my head and then maybe some part on side, then just burst write everything down haha. For some tests I didn't do anything for like half an hour, thinking, then just writing it up without stop. Though I have to admit I write very fast, much faster than 13 words per minute by hand xD. Yet it's funny some tests I'd do among last some, actually first. 

Yeah on PC it would be totally different. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I fought tooth and nail to sidestep the Microsoft Office requirement (at the time, I didn’t yet have a job during that recession, so the $90 was quite a big deal when I had books, online access codes and tuition to contend with). Teachers weren’t especially pleased that they were unable to open OpenOffice’s documents or the formatting was destroyed, so I resorted to sending in .PDFs instead as everyone and their dog thankfully had Adobe Reader.  

Buying an all new system to take exams was an obvious non-starter for me at the time, let alone that I’d never install such a piece of software on any of my systems with the current me. I’d probably take the F or Withdrawal over willingly giving over access to my system, if the professor has the audacity to declare the requirement after courses began. 

Did you have to pay for that? Nowadays, my school has a 365 subscription and just gives all students access to that

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / Aerocool CS-100 / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz

14 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

Did you have to pay for that? Nowadays, my school has a 365 subscription and just gives all students access to that

It gets better, in an ironic sort of way. Via the MSDNA program when you take courses in Computer Science, I was able to get ahold of Windows 7 professional completely free of charge. No such program nor even discount existed for Microsoft Office, the software that was borderline necessary to do many assignments. You were paying the full ~$90 for the privilege. 365 wasn’t a thing by that point (2008-2009)

At the time, I was also buying whatever I can used, as well as those shit online access codes required to actually do the homework, forcing me to buy a few books brand new to get the code. Throwing in the extra Benjamin for some software that I can probably work my way around was entirely out of the question, especially since I didn’t yet have a job. 

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

3 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Meh this isn’t a big deal. I’ve had to do this numerous times for Microsoft exams.

Granted we're talking much larger scale here. We're talking the hundreds of universities littered across the country each with thousands of students. And with the strict privacy laws here on where student data needs to be stored, it's a big issue. Like teachers aren't even allowed to use Google sheets for their marking as that would mean mark sheets and student info would be possibly stored outside of the country on Google's servers. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e