Mounting an Optical Drive in the O11 Dynamic

Go to solution Solved by ChipioIndustries,

Success! Nothing a pair of wirecutters, a couple pieces of paper, and a whole lot of electrical tape couldn't solve.

The drive cage has a couple brackets used to screw it to the case. I took them off of the cage and used them for the optical drive, which fits when the brackets are screwed in upside down. There's a small metal bar on the bottom of the bracket that prevents the tray from opening, so I snipped the bars off with a pair of wirecutters.

20200916_160525.thumb.jpg.2b5c95626d8bb34a3f3bdad9dd109cab.jpg

Next, I just had to attach the optical drive to the brackets. The holes to screw together didn't align at all, so I went with electrical tape instead. I used one piece that goes behind the drive from bracket to bracket to keep the drive from getting pushed back into the case, and then a couple winds around the brackets to essentially compress them into the drive. The optical drive was actually ever so slightly smaller than what was needed to align the brackets with the screw holes on the case, so I used a couple folded pieces of paper on either side as wedges.

20200916_163649.thumb.jpg.1bbd939d89f474a04f89d3fe7216f5a6.jpg

20200916_163702.thumb.jpg.24feccb0a537dcdb3e39e3eda0437e89.jpg

It's not pretty or high-tech, but it works. I probably could've gotten a much less janky result if I'd drilled some holes in the brackets to attach them to the optical drive instead of relying on compression.

Optical drive barely fits in place of hard drive cage'

If I remove the hard drive cage of the O11 Dynamic XL, there's a near perfect spot to fit my optical drive. My only limitation is finding a secure way to mount it - I tried fashioning a solution out of parts from the hard drive cage, but they were just a bit too restrictive to get it in the right spot.

Any suggestions on how I could mount it? Ideally I'd model and 3D print a bracket, but I don't have a 3D printer.

3 minutes ago, ChipioIndustries said:

Any suggestions on how I could mount it? Ideally I'd model and 3D print a bracket, but I don't have a 3D printer.

You'll probably want two probably metal pieces that mount on either side of the drive and hopefully can mount to the top panel.

These will support themselves on the outer screw holes and will support the drive itself a bit, through two other metal pieces that will actually screw into the drive.

image.png.9106f2c612f9570d027da13c4ddbd39e.png

Hope this kind of show the idea I had in mind.

Or of course you can also get an external BD drive, but those are usually at 70-90 USD so... Might be worth it to ghetto rig something :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

55 minutes ago, ChipioIndustries said:

Optical drive barely fits in place of hard drive cage'

If I remove the hard drive cage of the O11 Dynamic XL, there's a near perfect spot to fit my optical drive. My only limitation is finding a secure way to mount it - I tried fashioning a solution out of parts from the hard drive cage, but they were just a bit too restrictive to get it in the right spot.

you can run an esta or external sata an power

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

@thrasher_565Connecting the drive to the computer isn't the problem - I have the cables for that. I'm just trying to come up with a way to securely integrate it into the case.

@miniboisUnfortunately there aren't any holes at the top of the case, and the top cover needs to be able to slide on flush.

I'm messing with the drive cage a bit more, and might be getting somewhere. I'll update the thread if I can figure something out.

Success! Nothing a pair of wirecutters, a couple pieces of paper, and a whole lot of electrical tape couldn't solve.

The drive cage has a couple brackets used to screw it to the case. I took them off of the cage and used them for the optical drive, which fits when the brackets are screwed in upside down. There's a small metal bar on the bottom of the bracket that prevents the tray from opening, so I snipped the bars off with a pair of wirecutters.

20200916_160525.thumb.jpg.2b5c95626d8bb34a3f3bdad9dd109cab.jpg

Next, I just had to attach the optical drive to the brackets. The holes to screw together didn't align at all, so I went with electrical tape instead. I used one piece that goes behind the drive from bracket to bracket to keep the drive from getting pushed back into the case, and then a couple winds around the brackets to essentially compress them into the drive. The optical drive was actually ever so slightly smaller than what was needed to align the brackets with the screw holes on the case, so I used a couple folded pieces of paper on either side as wedges.

20200916_163649.thumb.jpg.1bbd939d89f474a04f89d3fe7216f5a6.jpg

20200916_163702.thumb.jpg.24feccb0a537dcdb3e39e3eda0437e89.jpg

It's not pretty or high-tech, but it works. I probably could've gotten a much less janky result if I'd drilled some holes in the brackets to attach them to the optical drive instead of relying on compression.

• 7 months later...

Digging up this old topic just to let you know i've 3D printed a solution to add an optical drive to my 011D XL, you can grab the part to 3D print it on my thingiverse page

Ry712n1.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Photo Blog

Thingiverse Designs

Expand to see my actual setup

i7 8700K Delid @ 4.8GHz
Asrock Z370 Extreme 4
Corsair Dominator 4x8GB DDR4 3200 C18
EKWB Hard Line Custom Loop
KFA2 RTX 2070
Samsung EVO 970 1To  +  EK-M.2 NVMe
SanDisk Ultra II 480 Go