PS5 Showcase: Prices/Dates Revealed + God of War 2 Teaser

Deus Voltage

Sony just revealed the prices and dates for the digital and Disk versions for the PS5. The console will first launch in the U.S, Japan, Canada Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea on the 12th of November. The rest of the world will be able to obtain the PS5 on the 19th of November

1155004904_PS5price.thumb.png.8e457a73974c6561735a47cd384563f5.png

My thoughts

I am actually a bit surprised by the pricing. The SSD performance coupled with Zen 2RDNA 2 and Sony's PS5 software should make for a very compelling piece of hardware, at least when compared against the XBOX Series X at the revealed price points. What do you guys think? 

Video Reveal:

God of War 2 Ragnarok trailer:

The digital edition is definitely a nice price, for the same system. I'll be honest, I never bought anything but digital on the One X, and don't see myself doing so ever again anyways. 

I'm surprised the digital PS5 is $399, it will probably sell really well, just not this holiday season when most people will probably go for the Series S (and ultimately be disappointed they got a last gen console in a cute box /s).

Demon's Souls looked so good and, of course, #GoWHype.

11 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

100€ for the ps5 with disc reader? seems a bit too much, in the store where I live the prices are too damn high, full price almost always while on a physical store the same game can get down to -20% even at launch

Makes sense from their point of view. They want to lock people into their digital store and $450 would be be too tempting for a lot of people.

This showcase was a big let down. I was excited going into it, but coming out I feel let down about everything I was excited for.

Definitely not going to be picking up a console this time.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

The price for the digital version is probably subsidized, to push and lock more users into Sony's online services.

Digital all the way. I’ll buy it day one if I can find one. I haven’t bought a disc in years. Now the thing is will my ps4 games work on the Ps5? As long as they do I’ll be happy to hand over the $428 with tax to get one. 
I sold my ps4 pro for $275 this week just to make sure I push myself to get the new system 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Wait if FromSoftware is considered to be a first party sony studio now does that mean pc is not getting any more games from FromSoftware Inc unless sony decides to port them to pc? I really hate sony making exclusive as i'm part of the Souls cult so it pains me to not be able to play bloodborne on the ps4 and now demon souls on the ps5 because exclusives.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

This is going to hurt businesses like Gamestop even more now that discless consoles will be mainstream. Even fewer people will be buying physical games now.

59 minutes ago, poochyena said:

This is going to hurt businesses like Gamestop even more now that discless consoles will be mainstream. Even fewer people will be buying physical games now.

I preordered the full spec version, i'll always go for having my own hardware and discs, Sony has said that they're making a lot more of the full version than they are of the digital version so i think we're a long way from being forced into an all digital future. 

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

Wait if demon souls is considered to be a first party sony studio or whatever now does that mean pc is not getting any more games from FromSoftware Inc unless sony decides to port them to pc?

FromSoftware aren't owned by Sony. If they made an exclusive or timed-exclusive deal with Sony for Demon's Souls, it could have been for that particular game and not their entire future catalogue.

Sony says they're planning to bring more first-party titles to PC, too.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

FromSoftware aren't owned by Sony. If they made an exclusive or timed-exclusive deal with Sony for Demon's Souls, it could have been for that particular game and not their entire future catalogue.

Sony says they're planning to bring more first-party titles to PC, too.

Thank for clearing that up. I heard that sony is planning to bring more first party titles to pc but well sony being sony will probably put ratchet and clank on pc.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

Thank for clearing that up. I heard that sony is planning to bring more first party titles to pc but well sony being sony will probably put ratchet and clank on pc.

It appears that Demon's Souls is releasing on PC. See this message at the end of this trailer.

Ps4xboxpclater.jpg.caa5910bf247fed46791dd01e47c4a18.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It appears that Demon's Souls is releasing on PC. See this message at the end of this trailer.

Ps4xboxpclater.jpg.caa5910bf247fed46791dd01e47c4a18.jpg

Searching it up says that Sony said it was "human error" but there is always a chance

AMD blackout rig

Great to see a $100 difference between the disc and disc-less consoles.

I hope game sizes are reduced due to the storage technologies in these new consoles, otherwise the 1TB drive is going to fill up real quick. Gonna suck big time on the disc-less, maybe less so on the disc version...

Personally I'm not buying either console this year. There's zero games I want to play except Demon Souls, but the announcement/denial above about a PC release just says to me that they plan on releasing it in the future.

400 dollars for a full performance PS5 (unlike the Xbox Series S) seems really good.

Xbox Series S to PS5 (digital) is a 33.3% increase in price but over 150% increase in performance.

PS5 (digital) to Xbox Series X is a 25% increase in price but at best an 18% increase in performance (in compute on the GPU cores, the PS5 has much faster storage and much faster GPU memory so the difference is even less).

Seems like both consoles will actually be really, REALLY good not just in price:performance but also in just raw performance. Will probably be a pain in the ass for developers to have to implement what are essentially PC-like graphics settings.

Now the question becomes, will the Xbox or PS5 win this console generation? I think the PS5 seems like the best buy, but the Xbox will probably be very appealing with its payment plan as well as the Series S. Developers will be forced to optimize their games for the lower-specced Series S anyway, and when a parent sees a 200 dollar price difference for a console that plays the same games they won't go "but this will have better image quality and frame times". They will see a way to save 200 bucks while still making their kids happy to have the newest console on the market.

I wonder how discs will be handled this generation. Used games is such a wonderful way of getting games for dirt cheap and it feels like both Sony and Microsoft want to kill that in favor of "games as a service", which I hate with a passion.

The question is how much would a PC equivalent to a PS5 would cost ?

3 minutes ago, loolou78 said:

Don't know, no one has the console yet.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

18 minutes ago, loolou78 said:

Hard to say since the consoles aren't out, but most likely waaaay more.

CPU - Somewhere between an AMD 3600 and 3700X (so something like 230 dollars)

Motherboard - Like 80 dollars

RAM - Maybe 70 dollars?

Storage - It has a really fast and quite large SSD, so maybe like 150-200 dollars

Case - Some cheap one for 50 dollars.

PSU - Again, some cheap one for like 50 dollars.

Even without the GPU, which is probably the most expensive part, we are at around 650 dollars. If we assume that the GPU will be around the same as a 300 dollar GPU (RTX 3060 or whatever AMD releases) then we are close to 1000 dollars for roughly (very roughly) the same performance as the 400 dollar PS5.

It is insanely good value for money.

50 minutes ago, loolou78 said:

More than $499. Not that that's a surprise - it's always been this way at the launch of a new console generation.

It'll be at least a couple years before you can get something comparable for the same price.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

19 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

it's always been this way at the launch of a new console generation.

Last generation it was a bit of an outlier. The PS4 graphics power at launch was comparable with a $150 GPU at the time, the CPU was like $100. The really were mediocre machines compared to PCs at that time. 
The Xbox one was even worse, $100 more than the PS4 with an even weaker GPU.