RTX 3070 PCI-e 0.3 vs PCI-e 4.0

charlie_c137

Hi guys, so I'm trying to comb through these reviews and none mention any difference between PCI-e 3.0 and PCI-e 4.0. Is 4.0 just an AMD gimmick or is it the new standard? Anyone out there know if it even matters for a RTX 3070? Thanks!

HWUB did for the 3080. I'll be back with a timestamp.

23:58.

Good stuff, wonder if as the drivers mature we'll see a wider gap. But at least for now it looks like I can keep my mobo. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, charlie_c137 said:

Good stuff, wonder if as the drivers mature we'll see a wider gap. But at least for now it looks like I can keep my mobo. Thanks again.

The big thing is the new decompression tech. It hasn't been used yet, but you can decompress data from the ssd straight to the GPU, so load times will be much faster.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, charlie_c137 said:

Hi guys, so I'm trying to comb through these reviews and none mention any difference between PCI-e 3.0 and PCI-e 4.0. Is 4.0 just an AMD gimmick or is it the new standard? Anyone out there know if it even matters for a RTX 3070? Thanks!

Since atm that also means chossing between Intel and AMD the obvious answer is go with Intel and PCi 3.0 as the CPU advantage makes far more of a difference than the small amount PCi 4.0 does in certain games at 1080p.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just now, SolarNova said:

Since atm that also means chossing between Intel and AMD the obvious answer is go with Intel and PCi 3.0 as the CPU advantage makes far more of a difference than the small amount PCi 4.0 does.

I already have a 3600 with a b450 mobo. I'd have to get an i7 with new mobo... so what that would be like an extra $600. Can't swing it atm.

Just now, charlie_c137 said:

I already have a 3600 with a b450 mobo. I'd have to get an i7 with new mobo... so what that would be like an extra $600. Can't swing it atm.

Wouldnt worry about it tbh, the difference only shows up at very high FPS in certain games at 1080p.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

yeah, as long as I get reliable 60-70 fps with RT on I'm happy. I dont play competitive or anything so dont need to squeeze out all the fps possible.

31 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The big thing is the new decompression tech. It hasn't been used yet, but you can decompress data from the ssd straight to the GPU, so load times will be much faster.

can that be implemented via a driver update to the RTX 3070 in the future? If it is possible I may go with an X570 mobo...

2 minutes ago, charlie_c137 said:

can that be implemented via a driver update to the RTX 3070 in the future? If it is possible I may go with an X570 mobo...

Its a feature with the ampere architecture, so it is native on the 3070, 3080, 3090, and the rumored 3070ti, 3080ti, and 3060.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler