Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PieSappinMyCake

Looking for laptop (under) 400$ usd, mainly for browsing and youtube

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I have never shopped for a laptop before and there is a sea of scammy looking ones and ones that might seem too good to be true, so I am asking for some help trying to choose one from some people with more experience in dealing with laptops. I am mainly going to be watching Youtube, browsing the internet on Firefox, and maybe some lite gaming like Minecraft or Terraria. I am trying to keep my budget under 400$. The lite gaming aspect isn't a deal breaker though.

I am bad at ending thread OPs so yeah, if you guys have any suggestions for me to check out i would highly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Which country do you live in?

It's usually best if members from your own area of the world help you, as they will be more familiar with the market in that region.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Why don't you just get an iPad? Honestly at 400 bucks most laptops at that price range are still terrible value. You'll get a machine with a mediocre screen (might not even be 1080p, could be some terrible 1366x768 one), and specs that make Windows run like a total pig. With an iPad you'll get a infinitely better display, a more optimized OS, and a much more compute power compared to a laptop of similar price. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Following on from what @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said - if you really don't care about the gaming that much (and are happy to switch browsers), then what you want is a Chromebook.

What Chromebooks are available varies massively by region, but we should be able to point you in the right direction if you'd like more advice in this area.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

11 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Which country do you live in?

It's usually best if members from your own area of the world help you, as they will be more familiar with the market in that region.

America, on the west coast, and yes I would like more info on the ipad/chromebooks. I really don't know much about either. Is there other similar options to an ipad of other brands?

13 minutes ago, PieSappinMyCake said:

America, on the west coast, and yes I would like more info on the ipad/chromebooks. I really don't know much about either. Is there other similar options to an ipad of other brands?

Samsung is probably the only brand that makes usable Android Tablets. But I wouldn't even bother with Android tablets at this point. They're so far behind iPads, they're never going to catch up. And sure enough Google doesn't seem to care since they dropped their own tablets. I personally have a Galaxy Tab S5e and it's not terrible, but I would actually take an iPad over it any day. Samsung DeX seemed like a cool feature, but I really only used it once or twice. And in terms of price, yea you were getting a tablet with a slightly higher resolution screen over the iPad plus OLED, you got quad speakers over 2 stereo ones, and you got a more modern design with thinner bezels. But from a performance and usability standpoint, it's behind the iPad. 

On the Chromebook end, @pythonmegapixel would be better suited to talk about that. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Samsung is probably the only brand that makes usable Android Tablets. But I wouldn't even bother with Android tablets at this point. They're so far behind iPads, they're never going to catch up. And sure enough Google doesn't seem to care since they dropped their own tablets. I personally have a Galaxy Tab S5e and it's not terrible, but I would actually take an iPad over it any day. Samsung DeX seemed like a cool feature, but I really only used it once or twice. 

On the Chromebook end, @pythonmegapixel would be better suited to talk about that. 

Ah ok, thanks for the info. What are the different models and price ranges? At this point there are so many different versions I wouldn't know where to start, but I would still like to keep it under 400$ usd but I might budge and max it at 400$ if I like what I see. Oh yeah, i should point out i hate using mobile versions of websites.

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Following on from what @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said - if you really don't care about the gaming that much (and are happy to switch browsers), then what you want is a Chromebook.

What Chromebooks are available varies massively by region, but we should be able to point you in the right direction if you'd like more advice in this area.

sorry i forgot to mention i would very much prefer windows 10 os

7 hours ago, PieSappinMyCake said:

sorry i forgot to mention i would very much prefer windows 10 os

Chromebook with Windows 10 isn't an option - Chromebooks are so-called because they run Chrome OS.

I'm really not best placed to make specific recommendations about Windows laptops in the US, as I live in the UK  - so I'm not sure really which websites to look on. If you could possibly let me know what your preferred online retailers are?

If you're buying from a reputable retailer, other than Amazon because they have an awful lot of fakes and scams on there, and it's from one of the major brands, those being Asus, HP, Dell, Lenovo or Acer, then it won't usually be terrible, just as a guide.

pythonmegapixel

On 9/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Samsung is probably the only brand that makes usable Android Tablets. But I wouldn't even bother with Android tablets at this point. They're so far behind iPads, they're never going to catch up. And sure enough Google doesn't seem to care since they dropped their own tablets. I personally have a Galaxy Tab S5e and it's not terrible, but I would actually take an iPad over it any day. Samsung DeX seemed like a cool feature, but I really only used it once or twice. And in terms of price, yea you were getting a tablet with a slightly higher resolution screen over the iPad plus OLED, you got quad speakers over 2 stereo ones, and you got a more modern design with thinner bezels. But from a performance and usability standpoint, it's behind the iPad. 

I tried looking at different ipads but it seems I could easily end up getting the wrong one when there would be a better option. Do you have any suggestions on which models to look at 400$ and below?