Warzone Dropping Frames/Stuttering

andylandy91

Hi all, 

I'm fairly new to the PC Gaming world and am having issues with Warzone dropping frames into the 20s and stuttering like crazy when in the middle of a battle. Any help with this would be awesome! Specs below. 

Game settings:

Running at 1080p no frame rate limit

RTX off

Motion Blur off

Normal settings otherwise

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 3600XT

Asus 2070

Running game from M.2 NVMe ssd. 

With this setup I was hoping to get frames above 100 at least. At some points these drops have made the game unplayable- I mean the stuttering is really, really bad. I'll try to capture when it happens next and attach a video. 

Andrew

The specs look alright for the settings you're running.  Could you have software running in the background?  Too many game and launcher overlays running at once?  Are you streaming or running a game DVR system like from Xbox Game Bar or Nvidia Experience?

I use the Xbox Game bar to play with friends on xbox. My xbox one x stopped working which is why I went to PC. I am not streaming. The only software in the background is the xbox party system and hardware monitor. Well and also voicemeeter banana to help control my mic. 

2 hours ago, Applefreak said:

I'd check your temps, sounds like throttling to me.

GPU temps are great never getting above 72C. CPU maxes at 84C at 100% usage so it shouldn't be throttling I wouldn't think...

2 hours ago, Quinnell said:

The specs look alright for the settings you're running.  Could you have software running in the background?  Too many game and launcher overlays running at once?  Are you streaming or running a game DVR system like from Xbox Game Bar or Nvidia Experience?

Sorry, responded above but did not reply. New to the forum as well...

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

Considering that 95 C is the max sustainable temperature, you are getting uncomfortably close to that.

Check your cooling setup, if you are on a stock cooler, make sure you have plenty of case airflow.

If you are using a small case and airflow is restricted, disable boost in bios.

Good temps should be in the mid 70's on average. Maybe you need to replace the cooler but first check thermal paste application and if you have mounted it correctly. 

If the chip gets too hot it will drop clocks well below the minimum rated speed to cool down.

I have seen Ryzen chips clock below 1 GHz in some instances.

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Considering that 95 C is the max sustainable temperature, you are getting uncomfortably close to that.

Check your cooling setup, if you are on a stock cooler, make sure you have plenty of case airflow.

If you are using a small case and airflow is restricted, disable boost in bios.

Good temps should be in the mid 70's on average. Maybe you need to replace the cooler but first check thermal paste application and if you have mounted it correctly. 

If the chip gets too hot it will drop clocks well below the minimum rated speed to cool down.

I have seen Ryzen chips clock below 1 GHz in some instances.

I am on the stock cooler - the wraith prism stealth or whatever it's called.. Should have plenty of airflow, 3 120mm Corsair Mag-lev intake fans and 2 140mm Corsair Mag-Lev exhaust fans in the Lian Li 011 Dynamic case. Not on carpet. In BIOS i've done both manual pwm fan tuning as well as using the Asus' bios turbo setting.

I've thought about replacing this cooler honestly. it just doesn't seem to do a good enough job. 

Obviously i'm not running any overclocks or anything like that that would increase temps.

2 minutes ago, andylandy91 said:

I am on the stock cooler - the wraith prism stealth or whatever it's called.. Should have plenty of airflow, 3 120mm Corsair Mag-lev intake fans and 2 140mm Corsair Mag-Lev exhaust fans in the Lian Li 011 Dynamic case. Not on carpet. In BIOS i've done both manual pwm fan tuning as well as using the Asus' bios turbo setting.

I've thought about replacing this cooler honestly. it just doesn't seem to do a good enough job. 

Obviously i'm not running any overclocks or anything like that that would increase temps.

A relattively affordable air cooler or AIO can get you pretty good temp improvement.  

4 hours ago, Quinnell said:

A relattively affordable air cooler or AIO can get you pretty good temp improvement.  

I see this a lot and I get why but I also see people with custom coolers have temp issues - usually it's just a bad paste job and not the cooler itself. 

This is 1) idle 2) after 20 minutes of gaming and 3) with nearly maxed out CPU on all cores because the game I'm playing is pretty well multi threaded (and generally CPU and GPU heavy)

IMG_20200917_014139.thumb.jpg.bb3549c356b67407c095428e3f2e3c7e.jpg

And yes, I fact checked this with Ryzen master, temps are very accurate the only thing hwmonitor has issues with is idle clocks, otherwise it's close enough 

I dunno my PC is just cooled well but I didn't really do anything special either just a lot of case fans. :D

PS: don't get me wrong I read it often enough that I do believe there's an issue with Ryzen and high temps I just don't think that it's the cooler per say, rather bad paste or not seated right or insufficient case cooling because otherwise how is mine so cool with stock cooler.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I see this a lot and I get why but I also see people with custom coolers have temp issues - usually it's just a bad paste job and not the cooler itself. 

This is 1) idle 2) after 20 minutes of gaming and 3) with nearly maxed out CPU on all cores because the game I'm playing is pretty well multi threaded (and generally CPU and GPU heavy)

IMG_20200917_014139.thumb.jpg.bb3549c356b67407c095428e3f2e3c7e.jpg

And yes, I fact checked this with Ryzen master, temps are very accurate the only thing hwmonitor has issues with is idle clocks, otherwise it's close enough 

I dunno my PC is just cooled well but I didn't really do anything special either just a lot of case fans. :D

PS: don't get me wrong I read it often enough that I do believe there's an issue with Ryzen and high temps I just don't think that it's the cooler per say, rather bad paste or not seated right or insufficient case cooling because otherwise how is mine so cool with stock cooler.

Did you use different thermal paste than what came on the wraith cooler? 

29 minutes ago, andylandy91 said:

Did you use different thermal paste than what came on the wraith cooler? 

Yes I did but not initially, I only did because I changed CPUs/mobos back and forth a couple of times.

The difference to stock paste and mx5 (what I've used) was about 3-5C not more , so yes there's a difference but not much.

That's not to say that they can't mess up the pre applied stuff or that they're always using the same material... Definetly worth a try changing the paste imo.

Btw here's my "fan collection" I mean, PC.  :)

IMG_20200914_022845.thumb.jpg.0eeaa02c1ff3ff3c2adec53a6767e860.jpg

I used to have a 2nd fan under the GPU , which each is good for about 2-3C temp reduction, but I had issues controlling that fan so I removed it, am still well under 60C for both CPU and GPU (under normal circumstances aka gaming)

Also as you maybe can see, exhaust fan and additional "GPU fan" are off when not under load (it's completely unnecessary to have them running imo as temps are around 38-40C anyway when idling) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity