Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RR94IND

Can anyone help me diagnose the issue with my psu?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Can anyone help me with diagnosing the issue with my psu?

For 10-11months psu worked great with my UPS, but recently started having issues.

Issue started with usb ports resetting for a split second when there is a power fluctuation.

Then after a month it started having issues with the PSU completely shutting down when there is a power cut and ups switched to battery backup mode.

Initially I thought it was a UPS issue so I got a APC BX1100C but that too gave same issue. As Mr Jon Gerow said in a forum that max psu dont have issue with stepped sinewave ups so I think thats not an issue here.

is somehow my psu damaged?

PSU after shutdown didn’t restart immediately, I had to reset the switch on the back to start it.

On mains power it works okay as psu will naturally shutdown in a power cut or a power fluctuation.

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb @3000
  • Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
  • Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2
  • Matrix Evolve
  • 860 evo + Wd Blue 1tb + Bx500480gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G

Anyone?

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
  • Matrix Evolve
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G

Ok.  The fact that you have to switch the PSU off and on again is a fact that I missed before.  That means there's a protection kicking in and the PSU is "latching" for safety.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  The fact that you have to switch the PSU off and on again is a fact that I missed before.  That means there's a protection kicking in and the PSU is "latching" for safety.

So ehat should I do now? RMA the CX and get a beefier unit or just RMA and continue using the CX?

By any chance is the psu underpowered? I used a 1070 from December to May before moving to a 1660s.

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
  • Matrix Evolve
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
39 minutes ago, RR94IND said:

So ehat should I do now? RMA the CX and get a beefier unit or just RMA and continue using the CX?

By any chance is the psu underpowered? I used a 1070 from December to May before moving to a 1660s.

The 1660 Super draws less power than the 1070.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: Asus Dual OC 2080  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia (Proprietary Thermaltake View 21, side intake, not front)  PSU: ATNG 800w 80+ Bronze (replacing when shortage is over) Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Acer XG270HU (27" 1440p 144hz TN), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

2 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

The 1660 Super draws less power than the 1070.

IKR, thats why I got that. Same performance less power hungry.

The issue started one month after getting the 1660s.

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
  • Matrix Evolve
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
14 hours ago, RR94IND said:

No.  It's not the PSU is underpowered.  The PSU is "sensing" something wrong on the AC side and latching.  Not the DC side.  I wonder if the switch over from mains to battery is causing an inrush (mains power->mains loss->bulk cap drains a bit->battery power kicks in->rush of current trips PWM IC).  

If that's the case, the only thing to do is to use a completely different PSU.

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  It's not the PSU is underpowered.  The PSU is "sensing" something wrong on the AC side and latching.  Not the DC side.  I wonder if the switch over from mains to battery is causing an inrush (mains power->mains loss->bulk cap drains a bit->battery power kicks in->rush of current trips PWM IC).  

I will RMA the corsair and exchange it with the retailer for a beefier unit.

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
  • Matrix Evolve
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
On 9/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Installed the new PSU. Seems to work fine with the UPS.

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
  • Matrix Evolve
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G