Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrSimSim

Bottleneck with Nvidia 3000 series cards

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I was thinking of buying a 3070 graphics card but considering its a powerfull card I was wondering if it would become a bottleneck for me who right now has a core 15 gen 8.
If that would become a bottleneck what cpu should I upgrade to? just a higher gen cpu or to like a core i7?

Pretty high fps, im just using a 1050 right now and I aim to be able to stream in 1080 without any worries of fps. for games like csgo 400+ fps when it peaks would be nice 

6 minutes ago, MrSimSim said:

Pretty high fps, im just using a 1050 right now and I aim to be able to stream in 1080 without any worries of fps. for games like csgo 400+ fps when it peaks would be nice 

For 400fps at 1080p you'll still need a high performance CPU, like a Ryzen XT or i7/i9 K series with high single core boost. There's no real advantage though over say 300 fps, unless you have some spastic fantastic reflexes and a very high end and high refresh rate monitor.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

so would it still be a money worth upgrade if I don't upgrade the cpu and only upgrade the gpu to a 3070?

do you have a 400Hz monitor? i don't see the point otherwise

12 minutes ago, MrSimSim said:

Nope I only have a 144hz monitor. IDK to much about bottlenecks but just wanted to check. Thanks everyone who responded and helped me👍

This card is so fast that your CPU is going to be bottlenecked regardless almost. at 1440p/4K the GPU is taking on more of the load than CPU so CPU matters less in this situation. If you're buying it with a 1080P panel you're wasting your money since the gpu doesn't even max out at 1080P. Tbh a 3600x/xt will be completely fine for 1440P/4K since it's GPU bound more than CPU.

id suggest upgrading your panel to 1440p. at 1080p your cpu will be more of a bottleneck. i agree with what wujoh is saying. a 3600x/xt will be good to pair even with a 3080. definitely if your gaming at atleast 1440p