List of Games that make use of real time ray tracing?

Justaphysicsnerd

Right know only a few games make use of RTX :

1. Minecraft Bedrock Edition on Windows 10
  2. Control 
  3. Quake II (If you are very very nostalgic)
  4. COD Modern Warfare (Only a bit)
  5. Shadow of the Tomb Raider ( For shadows only, I think)
  6. Metro Exodus (For Global Illumination only )
  7. Battlefield 5
  8. Wolfenstein Youngblood

So, I was planning to build a rig, but, I am not that rich(😁). So I wanted to know, if most of the games in the coming years are going to make use of Real Time Ray Tracing, As I want to build a rig that would last me 5 to 6 years, with a few upgrades here and there.

And It would be cool, If we could make this a thread that lists all the games that use real time ray tracing, along with what features they use.

Edited by Justaphysicsnerd
Removed Fortnite as its RT version hasn't launched yet

RDNA 2 and RTX supports raytracing so why not?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Considering that cards from both NVIDIA and AMD and even the coming consoles support Ray Tracking, I fully expect that in the future, Ray Tracing will be standard for AAA games. Probably over the next decade a steadily larger percentage of new games will support Ray Tracing.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Just now, Fatih19 said:

RDNA 2 and RTX supports raytracing so why not?

It depends if the devs are willing to develop games with RTX. It requires extra time to make Real Time Ray tracing work. 

3 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

I was planning to build a rig, but, I am not that rich

it's not a must have feature to run the games

just focus on building the best rig you can with your budget.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Justaphysicsnerd said:

It depends if the devs are willing to develop games with RTX. It requires extra time to make Real Time Ray tracing work. 

EA might not support it or make it an in game purchase.

The DirectX API has ray and path-tracing support of its own that doesn't require RTX. From what I remember, so does Vulkan.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I think we still see increasing support over time, but it will take a while before it becomes more used often than not. The vast majority of the installed user base still doesn't have it, so games will still have to work on non-RT hardware for many years yet. Developers lacking in resources might skip using it until later.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Moonzy said:

it's not a must have feature to run the games

just focus on building the best rig you can with your budget.

I wanted to do the so called "FUTURE PROOFING" for my build

Well I can't really see in the future, but my guess is that raytracing will be something that'll grow and be available in most titles, though I don't know in what form. Since both Nvidia and AMD will support raytracing it's a pretty safe bet that it'll be more present in future titles (and older ones like the witcher that get an update for it).

As far as the extra time it takes to make it work, as the tech improves I assume the API's will get better to the point where having basic raytracing stuff takes little to no extra effort to implement (I don't know how much extra effort it is at this point, if at all).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

3 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Considering that cards from both NVIDIA and AMD and even the coming consoles support Ray Tracking, I fully expect that in the future, Ray Tracing will be standard for AAA games. Probably over the next decade a steadily larger percentage of new games will support Ray Tracing.

Dunno if anyone else aside from me cares, but even Intel's Xe HPG - cards will support ray-tracing: https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/xe-hpg-ray-tracing

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

if you dont have spare budget, future proofing is a bad idea

future proofing only makes sense when you already have a mid-high end build (like R5 3600 + 2060S) and is willing to spend a bit more to add more cores or more gpu horsepower. anything below that probably should focus more on getting the basics right first.

Once it's common enough (and considering the console supports raytracing, I'd reckon this is not super far) games will only support raytracing. It's literally just one click and boom! The computer is doing all the lighting instead of the developer having to pre-bake and fake them.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

if you dont have spare budget, future proofing is a bad idea

future proofing only makes sense when you already have a mid-high end build (like R5 3600 + 2060S) and is willing to spend a bit more to add more cores or more gpu horsepower. anything below that probably should focus more on getting the basics right first.

It's better to buy midrange now and upgrade later when you need them than one purchase of high-end GPU now.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

4 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

It's better to buy midrange now and upgrade later when you need them than one purchase of high-end GPU now.

that highly depends on individual

spend slightly more and enjoy games at higher graphics now, and potentially dragging your upgrade 1 generation later

or buying mid-range GPU and upgrading every other gen to enjoy the latest features

both are viable

edit: not talking about top tier GPU, those are just bad value and dumb for the most part

talking like 2060->2070/80 jump, some price jump for some more perf.

8 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

It's almost impossible to future-proof the CPU and GPU since they're constantly moving forward. If you want real future-proofing, look into the motherboard, case, and power supplies.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

Will it ever be possible that Real Time RT comes to like the cheapest GPUs like 50-series Nvidia GPUs ? And I had completely forgotten about the Intel GPUs, amidst all the AMD and NVIDIA HYPE! Nowadays. I myself was planning to go with a 2060 or a 1660 Super

Ray tracing is one of the largest steps developers can make to get games closer to photorealism. Considering that now we've gotten to a point where it's actually slowly strating to become a viable real-time rendering method, you bet it'll be present in more and more titles to come.

That doesn't mean that you'll should necessarily build your system with ray tracing in mind now. By the time ray tracing actually becomes properly standard, your hardware will be long obsolete.

1 hour ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Control (All the available Ray Tracing Features)

Not really. It does feature ray traced reflections, shadows, some lighting effects, but the global illumination for example is still precalculated.

Keep in mind that we're still not at a level where the entire 3D scene is ray traced. At the moment we're looking at a hybrid between rasterisation and ray tracing.

Quake II RTX, on the other hand, does use pretty much all the features, since it's fully path traced.

1 hour ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Metro Exodus (For Global Illumination only )

Global illumination is actually one of the most noticeable (and demanding) things you could have ray traced.

Despite how well some developers have managed to fake it (TLOU2 is probably the best example, the lighting in that game is absolutely gorgeous), at some point it'll become pretty much impossible to further improve it without moving to real-time ray/path tracing.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Itll be worked on and likely easier to implement or cheaper as time and experience passes by..

Think TAA vs FXAA only games...when TAA was pretty rare

Got much better (the companies that pushed for it)

Differing implementations exist but each company works on whatever thing they have over time...

Id hazard the up to 6years and onwards for Mainstream.

2-4 years of Extra RT trickling in over time...

Which to me is right in line with RTX 4K / moreso 5K Series I'd guess.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

And it is not necessary that devs use the DirectX API to implement real time, some like teardown use their own implementation, different from that of Nvidia and AMD

16 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Right know only a few games make use of RTX :

1. Minecraft Bedrock Edition on Windows 10
  2. Control (All the available Ray Tracing Features)
  3. COD Modern Warfare (Only a bit)
  4. Shadow of the Tomb Raider ( For shadows only, I think)
  5. Metro Exodus (For Global Illumination only )

So, I was planning to build a rig, but, I am not that rich(😁). So I wanted to know, if most of the games in the coming years are going to make use of Real Time Ray Tracing, As I want to build a rig that would last me 5 to 6 years, with a few upgrades here and there.

And It would be cool, If we could make this a thread that lists all the games that use real time ray tracing, along with what features they use.

To answer your question about future games, yes very likely. But it will take time to implement. Most "larger" games take several years to develop.

Ray Tracing is not a new concept but implementing was never a priority and core changes have to be made to really make use of it. I remember when bump mapping was a big thing. It took years for game developers to properly implement it and that was not as big of a change as ray tracing in terms of hardware requirements. I'd call it main stream when all graphics cards down to the low power passively cooled ones can do it properly at at least 720p. When that happens, most new games will ship with that rendering option. I am sure some many games in development right now are experimenting with that feature but given how many "gamers" actually use that feature and still fairly weak hardware acceleration, making it a priority for anything else then a tech demo seems pointless. 

How about making this a thread listing the games ?

Add Fortnite into the list.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

9 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

How about making this a thread listing the games ?

There's a few lists floating around that may be useful:

https://www.nvidia.com/nl-nl/geforce/rtx/

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-ray-tracing-3638206

Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 will get it as well.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB