Gaming pc or laptop?

GlizzardWizard

Budget (including currency): $700

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Forza

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): All I have is a mouse and Xbox controller. Looking to switch over from console so I will need everything including monitor and keyboard. Locally, I’ve found used gaming laptops for a great deal, but I’m wondering if I can build a decent rig for cheaper, even with monitor and keyboard included. If my budget is unrealistic let me know.

I’m capable of putting together a pc, but I’m open to pre-built ones. I don’t mind used parts if it’s in good/working condition, in case I want to sell it I’ll lose less money. If used parts are a no-no for PCs feel free to educate me, since I build race cars so I think everything is somewhat reusable...

If you don’t need the laptop for portability it’s a poor choice not upgradable 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

At $700 building will be way cheaper than buying. AMD's overwhelmingly likely to launch a $350-400 card to undercut the RTX 3070, which will fit right in with a Ryzen 3300x (or its successor) for a nice $700ish build.

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

At $700 building will be way cheaper than buying. AMD's overwhelmingly likely to launch a $350-400 card to undercut the RTX 3070, which will fit right in with a Ryzen 3300x (or its successor) for a nice $700ish build.

can't really fit a 350$ card in a 700$ budget that needs to include monitor and keyboard

18 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

can't really fit a 350$ card in a 700$ budget that needs to include monitor and keyboard

I didn't realize he needs a monitor and a keyboard, if so I recommend this-

i3 10100 is $80 at Micro Center with the purchase of a compatible motherboard. Around 3300x performance.

Are three builds mostly future proof? Or will I be looking to upgrade a lot of it in the next year. 

1 hour ago, GlizzardWizard said:

Are three builds mostly future proof? Or will I be looking to upgrade a lot of it in the next year. 

its difficult to fit "futureproof" aka good parts into the given budget. ideally youd buy everything used unless there are specific parts that are as cheap new. depending on your location in the US you may have access to great local deals. cases, monitors, and other big heavy parts go for super cheap locally as shipping is a pain. if you lurk /r/hardwareswap on reddit i wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt get a very upgradable build with good performance. going off of average prices on HWS that i see recently:

cpu: microcenter deal on 10100 or used ryzen 1600 or 3100 for <100

mobo: microcenter deal with a z490 (150 i think is the cheapest?) or a used b450 for <100

ram: 16gb 3200c16 for <50

storage: 500gb nvme for <50,

gpu: 1080, 2060, or 5600xt for 200-250

local deal on a case: depending on how nice of a case you want, 50 or under

psu: evga b stock or used 600-700w bronze for <70

local deal on a monitor: 1080p 60-75hz for 30-75 bucks depending on quality, a nice 1080p 144hz ips goes for around 120 local

keyboard: get a new redragon mechanical for 50 bucks

keep taxes in mind, makes your whole build 10% cheaper than it looks when you buy used :D

the most "futureproof" part youll wanna invest in is the motherboard as itll be the platform for future memory and cpu upgrades. so if you go with the 10100 but get a b or h series board youre stuck with 2666mhz ram and locked cpus (no overclocking, which is kind of a big deal with intel). with ryzen a 100 dollar b450 will support a wide variety of cpus with overclocking, at which point the best cpu you can use depends on if the motherboard circuitry can handle it. most b450s can handle a 3700x (8 cores) with ease and many decent ones will handle a 3900x (12 cores). additionally, zen 3 will be supported on the b450 chipset at some point after release, and msi has guaranteed a zen 3 bios update for their b450 boards giving you even more options in the future.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D