GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" is good?

Doocmostar

Howdy and welcome :)

I’m not what one would call a monitor expert but it’s late at night and I seem to be what’s around so I’ll give it a whack. Hopefully someone with more expletive will be along.  In the meantime I can give some general info.  I don’t know how useful it will be

There are too many monitor models to keep track of.  I just read reviews.  I don’t think gigabyte makes panels themselves though.

here’s a review.  It’s sort of minimal.  More of a “this exists” sort of thing.  I actually found the comments more interesting.  One claim is that there are a bunch of other monitors with very similar specs.  
21:9 at 1400p means there are going to be a lot of pixels and a big gpu will be needed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/270904/gigabyte-launches-g34wqc-34-inch-ultra-wide-gaming-monitor

A monitor more or less has 3 parts:

-the enclosure (that holds the thing up. Kind of like the case)

-the electronics. (PSU, embedded software, calibration, etc..)

-the panel (the bit that actually shows the picture.  This is arguably most of what a monitor is, and there are only a few companies that actually make them.  LG and Samsung are two but there are a few others)

There are companies that don’t even make any of these, they buy them from other manufacturers.  I don’t think gigabyte is that because they do make stuff.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Doocmostar said:

GIGABYTE G34WQC 34 what is you tink about it?

Well mine will be here in a few hours tops, it went on the truck at 9 and it's nearly 1pm.

I'll let you know how it is with a Ryzen 7 3700x / 32GB / 1060 6GB, then tomorrow or whenever I get my hands on one, a 3080.

It's here, and it's glorious. I don't have time to calibrate or anything right now but reply to me if you have questions or requests.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, Smuckles said:

It's here, and it's glorious. I don't have time to calibrate or anything right now but reply to me if you have questions or requests.

I'm also wondering about it. Is there ghosting or smearing? Does G-sync work properly?

On 9/16/2020 at 7:29 PM, Smuckles said:

I wonder if it use same panel as the AOC CU34G2X. I watch the review by Hardware Unboxed. I hope this Gigabyte monitor offers similar performance to the AOC unit.

4 hours ago, Techhog said:

I'm also wondering about it. Is there ghosting or smearing? Does G-sync work properly?

Right now I get some white flicker with G-SYNC active in WoW. I don't know if there's an easy fix or if it's because I'm running a 1060 or if it's because the driver needs to be updated soon to accommodate this display. I haven't noticed much ghosting at all, but also my eyesight is shit - do you have a specific test or game and action for me to take where I can check for you?

Some of this will likely be user error but nonetheless at this point I can't recommend it. Initially it had random green flickering pixels and a line across the lower half of the screen. This went away when I changed the hdmi lead (previous one worked fine on old monitor). Then the joystick control stopped registering an "up" input. Then I discovered that games caused the monitor/laptop to lose signal with freesync turned on; then when turning freesync off, I found out that doing so causes the monitor to entirely lose all signal without a hard reset. Between the above, the fact that it won't turn off without unplugging the power lead (another joystick problem) and that it was advertised in the UK as having G-sync (at least g-sync compatible) but doesn't appear to, I am not impressed. Going to return in case I have a faulty unit but im starting to fear this is a case of you get what you pay for...

56 minutes ago, DSD said:

Some of this will likely be user error but nonetheless at this point I can't recommend it. Initially it had random green flickering pixels and a line across the lower half of the screen. This went away when I changed the hdmi lead (previous one worked fine on old monitor). Then the joystick control stopped registering an "up" input. Then I discovered that games caused the monitor/laptop to lose signal with freesync turned on; then when turning freesync off, I found out that doing so causes the monitor to entirely lose all signal without a hard reset. Between the above, the fact that it won't turn off without unplugging the power lead (another joystick problem) and that it was advertised in the UK as having G-sync (at least g-sync compatible) but doesn't appear to, I am not impressed. Going to return in case I have a faulty unit but im starting to fear this is a case of you get what you pay for...

Oh, mine.....almost ordered one this morning. This monitor is €80 cheaper than AOC CU34G2X. Take a lot of risk to save 80 bucks.

49 minutes ago, Deli said:

Oh, mine.....almost ordered one this morning. This monitor is €80 cheaper than AOC CU34G2X. Take a lot of risk to save 80 bucks.

I can update after troubleshooting it for most of the evening that the issue of losing signal was down to me running it at 100hz via my laptop's hdmi port which did not support it (user error). Switching it down to 60hz via hdmi fixes this. I have a mDP on order which should allow it to run at 144hz. What is the fault of the unit though is that the joystick is trash, as per my first comment, wont register and up command and wont turn off. 

GL to you mate. If I were doing it again, I would spend a couple hundred quid extra and save the headache.

1 minute ago, DSD said:

I can update after troubleshooting it for most of the evening that the issue of losing signal was down to me running it at 100hz via my laptop's hdmi port which did not support it (user error). Switching it down to 60hz via hdmi fixes this. I have a mDP on order which should allow it to run at 144hz. What is the fault of the unit though is that the joystick is trash, as per my first comment, wont register and up command and wont turn off. 

GL to you mate. If I were doing it again, I would spend a couple hundred quid extra and save the headache.

I broke my gaming monitor a couple of weeks ago. Have been hunting a new one since. I's placing an order on this monitor this morning. Before I could finish checking out. The product became unavailable. Obviously someone was just a few second faster than me.

I want an ultrawide. I know the LG 34GN850 is a fantastic monitor, sadly outside my budget. If you can pick another one again. Which monitor will you choose?

10 minutes ago, Deli said:

I broke my gaming monitor a couple of weeks ago. Have been hunting a new one since. I's placing an order on this monitor this morning. Before I could finish checking out. The product became unavailable. Obviously someone was just a few second faster than me.

I want an ultrawide. I know the LG 34GN850 is a fantastic monitor, sadly outside my budget. If you can pick another one again. Which monitor will you choose?

Take my recommendation with a grain of salt as I dont have lots of experience buying monitors but if you want something of (potentially) higher quality than the gigabyte but still not too expensive how about the MSI Optix MAG341CQ or the Asus TUF VG35VQ? I'd look at some reviews but specs are similar with what looks to be better build quality.

8 minutes ago, DSD said:

Take my recommendation with a grain of salt as I dont have lots of experience buying monitors but if you want something of (potentially) higher quality than the gigabyte but still not too expensive how about the MSI Optix MAG341CQ or the Asus TUF VG35VQ? I'd look at some reviews but specs are similar with what looks to be better build quality.

Thanks for the tips.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, Doocmostar said:

GIGABYTE G34WQC 34 what is you tink about it?

When I saw it on Newegg, I went back and forth about buying it. 

I wish I just went with my gut and got it. 

Been out of stock for a bit. Hopfully it will come back at the same $400 price point. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

On 9/21/2020 at 6:19 PM, Deli said:

My joystick is still fine, my only issue has been the white flicker occasionally when using Gsync, which seems to be a known issue with some displays. It could also be because I'm still using my 1060, my 3080 hasn't come in yet - I'll update here when it does, see if that fixes the issue. For now I've got Gsync off though, and it works perfectly.

16 minutes ago, Smuckles said:

My joystick is still fine, my only issue has been the white flicker occasionally when using Gsync, which seems to be a known issue with some displays. It could also be because I'm still using my 1060, my 3080 hasn't come in yet - I'll update here when it does, see if that fixes the issue. For now I've got Gsync off though, and it works perfectly.

The Gigabyte monitor remains out of stock here. So I order the AOC instead. Have been using it for a few days with a 5700XT. So far so good, no dead pixel, light bleed or flicker. Like what Hardware Unboxed describes, at 144Hz strong overdrive, I can notice some ghosting. At 120Hz with medium overdrive, it's very clean and smooth.

How is your experience with yours? I watch Hardware Unboxed recent review about the Xiaomi Mi curve monitor, which uses the same panel. It performances marginally better than the AOC. Still not a true 144Hz performer though.

Send mine RMA because of high frequent noise from inside the monitor. Think it's the PSU.

Light color shifting on the sides and a bit of backlight bleed where are 16:9 would end.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:12 AM, Smuckles said:

Go to NVidia Control Panel, scroll down and turn VSync ON. That solved my black G-sync flickering

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, Smuckles said:

I know i'm a bit late to this but do you get any backlight bleed in darker areas? if so how bad is it?