Rocket league going free September 23rd, on EGS.

Helpful Tech Witch

Summary

It has been announced that international E sports phenomenon Rocket league will be free to play off of the Epic Games Store.  This includes a vague message from the official Fortnite twitter account about Rocket League and Fortnite in game rewards.

Quotes

After September 23rd, the game will be delisted from Steam; however, the studio explains that, regardless of which PC version you own, both versions will still receive “full support for future updates and features,” such as cross-platform play. But you can’t get it on Steam for free.

In addition to switching to a free-to-play model, Psyonix also confirmed earlier this month that Rocket League will no longer require PS4 and Nintendo Switch players to have a subscription to play online. Xbox One owners, unfortunately, still need an Xbox Live Gold membership.

My thoughts

Besides the fact that Microsoft still is Microsoft, this is a really cool release. I am excited to play, as have never played on my pc. And, as one of the 4 people that still play Fortnite (DONT SUE ME) I am excited to see what Epic meant in their vague tweet.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/21438194/rocket-league-free-to-play-release-date-psyonix-epic-games

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

interesting. i guess the amd raytracing publicity wasnt enough

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Is this going to be temporary like it was with GTA V? Either way, it's free. Can't really pass that up!

It looks like it will be permanant.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Is this going to be temporary like it was with GTA V? Either way, it's free. Can't really pass that up!

GTA 5 is going free to play next year for online only. Story will still be paid.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'm a little disappointed that it's not going to be free on Steam... Damn Epic and their efforts to tempt me away from Steam! I've invested too much into it!

meh hard pass. still not convincing me to get an accound on egs. not this. not their free games. maybe if they stop trying to be a monopoly xD 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

18 minutes ago, HempBoosh said:

I'm a little disappointed that it's not going to be free on Steam... Damn Epic and their efforts to tempt me away from Steam! I've invested too much into it!

You do know that you can have two game store accounts, right?  Epic gives away great games on a weekly basis, so it is entirely worth having both. Well, and GOG.

I just use the gog launcher, so much simpler to have everything in one program. Granted you still have to install the launcher you want to install a game from.

As for epic launcher I just click collect on all the free games, tried a few of them. God's Trigger, civ and hitman were the best ones. Sadly total war has been shit for years.

Friend of mine quit all other games because of rocket league, personally I never found it to be fun.

3 hours ago, HempBoosh said:

its because last year the developer, psyonics, was bought by epic. The community has been waiting for this news ever since.

If you buy the game on steam you will still be able to play it on steam "for now" but after the 23rd you will no longer be able to buy it on steam

Until they have a Linux client I won't be buying anything from Epic.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

The day Titanfall 2 is an EGS exclusive is the day I download that launcher...

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

37 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Until they have a Linux client I won't be buying anything from Epic.

Why? You would still need to run the games themselves through wine...

Anyways, checkout Legendary, it is a cli application. I personally use it and it works great. of course you will need to manually manage wine prefixes.
I just have a single global wine prefix I use for everything Windows Related that's not in steam. Dumped lutris long ago.

Anyways it's Rocket Leauge, never played it never will. If it was however a payed game, I have to wonder how the overall community is going to react. Nearly every game I have seen go from payed to free has had a overall drop in community ratings. Turns out people don't like paying for a game that might be free one day.

8 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Why? You would still need to run the games themselves through wine...

Anyways, checkout Legendary, it is a cli application. I personally use it and it works great. of course you will need to manually manage wine prefixes.
I just have a single global wine prefix I use for everything Windows Related that's not in steam. Dumped lutris long ago.

It's not that I can't, but why give money to Epic if I can give it to Steam? Who actually gives a shit about Linux.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

33 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

It's not that I can't, but why give money to Epic if I can give it to Steam? Who actually gives a shit about Linux.

Anthony does. Don't let him see this.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Anthony does. Don't let him see this.

Wait sorry, I mean Steam cares about Linux while Epic obviously don't. So why should I give money to Epic when I can give it to Steam instead?

Main Rig :

Laptop :

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

GTA 5 is going free to play next year for online only. Story will still be paid.

How's that going to work if you still need the base game for online? That also might increase modders because the less able ones won't have to buy new accounts anymore. Permabans won't really hold anyone down anymore. 

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

How's that going to work if you still need the base game for online? That also might increase modders because the less able ones won't have to buy new accounts anymore. Permabans won't really hold anyone down anymore. 

probably referring to https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-online-is-getting-a-standalone-release-in-2021/1100-6478348/

Which as far as I am aware is only for the PS5 and possibly the xBox Series X, it would also only be free for the first 3 months of its release.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

How's that going to work if you still need the base game for online?

You won’t. They’re splitting up the game so that online will run without the need for story.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Rocket league is a fun game to play with friends. Is it cross platform yet? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

6 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Rocket league is a fun game to play with friends. Is it cross platform yet? 

It is.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

On 9/16/2020 at 9:55 AM, Warin said:

You do know that you can have two game store accounts, right?  Epic gives away great games on a weekly basis, so it is entirely worth having both. Well, and GOG.

Yeah I know. I also know that Epic is owned by Tencent and I'd rather support them as little as possible. GOG is my second game store of choice.

3 hours ago, HempBoosh said:

Yeah I know. I also know that Epic is owned by Tencent and I'd rather support them as little as possible. GOG is my second game store of choice.

What do you have against Tencent?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, HempBoosh said:

And you know that taking a free offer in no way supports Tencent. Which has a share in Epic, but doesn't "own" Epic.