2 RAID 1s at the same time on the same server?

kozwin

Hi Guys, 

DISCLAIMER: TL;DR - if you want to have an overview on the issue, please feel free to read. If not, you can skip to the end for the questions. 

I am fairly new to the topic of RAID and I have been asked if I can help with the topic I am going to address below. Now, I am asking you guys if you can give a helping hand regarding this:

A Dell Poweredge r320 (4 bays) has at this very moment 2 hdds of 1 TB each, running in RAID 1. The issue is that those hdds are almost full - storage capacity runs out.

Those hdds contain 2 partitions: C for the OS (Windows Server 2012) and E for Data Storage. 

My idea was to add 2 more hdds of 2TBs each and to form another RAID 1 with those, thus now having, in theory at least, 2 RAID 1 configurations co-existing on the server. This approach was thought about because we do not want to lose data in the process of reconfiguration of the RAID. If this approach is possible, we can then move the data we have on partition E from the first disk onto the second disk (2TB RAID 1), format the partition and extend the C at 1TB.

I know my explanation may seem too overly complicated, but I wanted to be specific. Now, the questions are:

1. Is it possible to have 2 RAID 1s at the same time on this Dell Poweredge r320? 

And if the answer is yes,

2. Can I configure the second RAID 1 without interfering with the first one, thus avoiding losing data that we do not want to lose? 

Thank you very much in advance! 

44 minutes ago, kozwin said:

2. Can I configure the second RAID 1 without interfering with the first one, thus avoiding losing data that we do not want to lose? 

This should be possible within the BIOS of your RAID controller. If you have a H310/H710P/H810 RAID controller, instructions for creating additional virtual disks is available on page 42 of your manual.

44 minutes ago, kozwin said:

My idea was to add 2 more hdds of 2TBs each and to form another RAID 1 with those, thus now having, in theory at least, 2 RAID 1 configurations co-existing on the server. This approach was thought about because we do not want to lose data in the process of reconfiguration of the RAID. If this approach is possible, we can then move the data we have on partition E from the first disk onto the second disk (2TB RAID 1), format the partition and extend the C at 1TB.

You're looking for RAID 5 or 10, not RAID 1. See https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid to learn about the different available RAID levels. I would advise backing up your data and rebuild the array instead of adding an additional array.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

7 hours ago, kozwin said:

1. Is it possible to have 2 RAID 1s at the same time on this Dell Poweredge r320? 

And if the answer is yes,

Yes, the older LSI raid cards typically support up to 16 array configurations at a time

7 hours ago, kozwin said:

Yes. You obviously can't use disks already assigned to the first raid, but as above you can configure many arrays to run simultaneously, of whatever raid level you want. With Windows server, you can just use megaraid storage manager to configure your arrays

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1) Yes

2) Yes

You create new logical drive which is RAID1 out of those two new drives. You don't need to touch existing drives.