Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hakemon

Editing in quotes after I already posted a comment.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I feel so stupid right now and I'm sorry.  Some of the meds I'm on make it difficult to think, and I'm really struggling here.  Can there maybe be an easier way to edit a comment to add in quotes after the fact?  I haven't been able to figure out how to do it, or if there even is a way like other forums can be done (by quote tags but it works), I just can't figure it out here.  I tried opening a new quote, but you can't copy the quote text in the RTF editor whatsoever, at least it doesn't on Edge/Chrome?

Sorry if this is obvious and I'm just missing it.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo                    RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mouse: Lenovo Legion M500 Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

3 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Can there maybe be an easier way to edit a comment to add in quotes after the fact?

Nowadays you are able to press the edit button on your post and then press the quote button the post you want to quote.

Since the most recent editor you would have pressed at that point was your original post to edit it, the quote will automatically go to there.

This is a feature that has been added fairly recently.

An alternative to this, is something only really do-able on laptop/desktop devices and it's:

1. press quote on a button

2. click on the handle that appears in that quote:

image.png.d9d98f01fce7df86f8f2894796c0c4f6.png

3. press Ctrl/Cmd+C

4. go to your previous post and press edit

5. Ctrl/Cmd+V to paste it in

(but I would highly suggest the former way of doing things; press edit, then press the quote button :D )

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

Let me test this.  If it was this obvious, then I'm a dingleberry.

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Nowadays you are able to press the edit button on your post and then press the quote button the post you want to quote.

Since the most recent editor you would have pressed at that point was your original post to edit it, the quote will automatically go to there.

This is a feature that has been added fairly recently.

An alternative to this, is something only really do-able on laptop/desktop devices and it's:

1. press quote on a button

2. click on the handle that appears in that quote:

image.png.d9d98f01fce7df86f8f2894796c0c4f6.png

3. press Ctrl/Cmd+C

4. go to your previous post and press edit

5. Ctrl/Cmd+V to paste it in

(but I would highly suggest the former way of doing things; press edit, then press the quote button :D )

Son of a............................well ok then.  I'm a dingleberry.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo                    RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

Let me test this.  If it was this obvious, then I'm a dingleberry.

Son of a............................well ok then.  I'm a dingleberry.

😆

again, this was added fairly recently and I can't say it's too obviously a feature.. So don't be too hard on yourself please!

P.S. just so you know, when you added that quote to your post, I still got a notification of it, as if it was a normal quote.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

1 minute ago, minibois said:

😆

again, this was added fairly recently and I can't say it's too obviously a feature.. So don't be too hard on yourself please!

P.S. just so you know, when you added that quote to your post, I still got a notification of it, as if it was a normal quote.

Awesome.  :D

Thanks for the help.  When people were complaining in another thread about people who just post after another rather than editing posts, I felt bad because I honestly only do that to re-quote because I didn't understand the UI and that it worked that way.  I thought clicking quote would just open a new box.  But now that I know it was only a recent feature, I don't feel bad.  I don't use this forum all *that* much.  I'm trying to be more active because I have a lot of knowledge from at least my era of computing (80's to 00's tech) and I also do have a fairly comprehensive hardware background (and some software, x86 ASM years ago, don't ask already forgot it cause I didn't use it much outside of work) and could very much help people.

(Not to be one to bump, but I did find a bug 'well maybe more of a suggestion' in this recently added feature, it doesn't work across page.  If I edit a post, and go to quote a post on a previous page, it doesn't work, because going to the other page closes the editor, and from there you can't see your post to re-click edit while looking at the post to quote.)

2 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

(Not to be one to bump, but I did find a bug 'well maybe more of a suggestion' in this recently added feature, it doesn't work across page.  If I edit a post, and go to quote a post on a previous page, it doesn't work, because going to the other page closes the editor, and from there you can't see your post to re-click edit while looking at the post to quote.)

Yeah there's no way to make it work for that, but the other approach of quoting it into the regular reply editor and copying it should still work.

HTTP/2 203

9 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Yeah there's no way to make it work for that, but the other approach of quoting it into the regular reply editor and copying it should still work.

Yep, that's how I'll just be doing it.  I didn't know I had to click the top left.  I had tried clicking the box and the edges and doing a copy and paste, but it never worked.  That little handle does though.

Doesn't really work on mobile, sadly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i thought you could click on edit your post, then click on quote while the text cursor is in the editing field and it'll pop there?

11 hours ago, Hakemon said:

Sorry if this is obvious and I'm just missing it

yea i just tried it

if you do want to quote from other page, then you'll need to do the copy-paste thing.

though if you have text in your editor while opening multiple LTT tab, it wont save the text in editor sometimes.

works flawlessly for 1 tabbed operation

Things I need help with: *new* Need help from "G-sync Compatible" monitor owner(s)

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Doesn't really work on mobile, sadly.

I'm only using desktop.  I can't use smart phone touch screen keyboards so I don't really use the smart phone for anything smart, just phone.