Scalpers Sell $1200+ Preorders of GeForce RTX 3080

Shizzmoney
On 9/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

On 9/16/2020 at 8:02 AM, spartaman64 said:

how did they get them?

edit: wtf why would anyone spend 900+ for just a chance at getting a gpu

On 9/16/2020 at 8:09 AM, Dr_Whom said:

They don't have them.

So basically they are selling a promise that they will buy it for you or your money back.

For the two ASUS TUF models ONLY B&H accidentally put them up for pre order. Some people including myself got an order placed. Who knows if it will get cancelled. 

EDIT: 20/10/2020

Shipped.

If you're giving people $1200 for a $700 card, you deserve to be finessed. I'm not mad at the scalpers. Getcho money, playas!

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

It’s possible some people know there’s plenty of supply and they are pre-selling the cards at a premium.

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Dangerous business to be in.  Ebay is super easy to return a brick to the seller and as long as the tracking shows delivered they auto-refund you.  Absolutely nothing the seller can do to prevent it.

put "don't accept returns" on your listing and they won't care. if the seller wants a return, and the escalate it and eBay sees you have no returns, eBay says too bad to the buyer. paypal is the bigger worry.

also in 6+ years of selling on eBay I have never heard of or seen that happen

If this happens and stock isn't replenish and AIB cards are significantly over msrp I'll be buying AMD nvidia can go suck it and I've been a nvidia shill since the 700 series. Either that or just buy a console and wait for the cards to drop in value or get one second hand. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

9 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Dangerous business to be in.  Ebay is super easy to return a brick to the seller and as long as the tracking shows delivered they auto-refund you.  Absolutely nothing the seller can do to prevent it.

sounds like something fun to do to a scalper :) if someone does this can they please post it haha.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

3 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

put "don't accept returns" on your listing and they won't care. if the seller wants a return, and the escalate it and eBay sees you have no returns, eBay says too bad to the buyer. paypal is the bigger worry.

also in 6+ years of selling on eBay I have never heard of or seen that happen

you are dreaming dude, i've ticked that box and even put in the description no returns accepted. as a personal user and not a business i even said i won't accept a return.

doesn't matter eBay still made me accept the return cost me so much to have it shipped back to me nothing i could do about it. auto refunded, eBay said i could arrange to have it shipped back or they'd refund it without having it shipped back i had 10 business days to arrange it.

eBay seller support is the worst, i've had enough issues i dont use the platform to sell anymore. I use it to buy because i know that i can always return something regardless. wasn't as described or doesn't work and i am refunded.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

38 minutes ago, Maticks said:

you are dreaming dude, i've ticked that box and even put in the description no returns accepted. as a personal user and not a business i even said i won't accept a return.

doesn't matter eBay still made me accept the return cost me so much to have it shipped back to me nothing i could do about it. auto refunded, eBay said i could arrange to have it shipped back or they'd refund it without having it shipped back i had 10 business days to arrange it.

eBay seller support is the worst, i've had enough issues i dont use the platform to sell anymore. I use it to buy because i know that i can always return something regardless. wasn't as described or doesn't work and i am refunded.

eBay only works if your into selling collectibles and other rare items to a genuine audience looking to purchase. Or, your selling in volume.

Selling used computer equipment is exceptionally risky for a whole host of reasons including an immediate cut by both eBay and PayPal.

As a seller, I too have been scammed. Never again! Eff Ebay!

On 9/15/2020 at 3:13 PM, Rybo said:

Ah, the old Nintendo Wii gambit -- artificially limit supply to give the impression that your item is amazing and whenever you see it on sale for any price, you must get it because that might be the last one you see for months.  

Nah.

Admittedly Nintendo underestimates it's demand, unlike Apple. Apple can, and does produce enough for everyone who wants one, and part of that is preordering the dang thing in advance. If it turns out there are more preorders than production units, then you just keep producing them until they can be fullfilled. 

I have a pre-order for something from back in February. It still has not shipped. It had a limited production run.

LOL this made me laugh

I've seen as high as 25K on ebay.  Shoot your shot I guess 😂😂😂

Untitled.png.be43d36c3b616dbec90b80aa93771d85.png

On 9/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, DrMacintosh said:

If you don't want people to scalp GPUs, convince people that they don't need a new GPU. Consumerism is what causes this. 

LOL
You can't be serious, right?

Supply and demand are what's causing this. Yeah, fixing demand would be one thing, but what's easier to control - millions of customers or a few manufacturers?

Whoever pays 4 digits for RTX 3080 is an idiot. Ordered mine for 815€ which is fairly normal price in Europe (22% VAT and all that). There was one for 735€, Gigabyte Eagle OC, but my god, that asymmetric weird ass cooler got me triggered. Also they use sleeve bearing fans with graphene which allegedly makes fans as durable as ball bearing ones. Lets say X was pressed for doubt and I didn't take that one.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Gigabyte Eagle OC, but my god, that asymmetric weird ass cooler got me triggered.

Yup, Gigabyte f*cked up.
In Germany all cards were sold out, apart from the Gigabyte models, even tho they were some of the cheaper ones. Everyone seems to agree, that they're the most ugly piles of garbage the world has ever seen.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:58 PM, StDragon said:

If the scalpers were smart, they would shoot for high margin impulse buyers; auction those puppies off for 2+ grand or more EACH. There's enough suckers out there that would bite.

Ebay RTX 3080 going for 85 grand and climbing!!!! WOW

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Ebay RTX 3080 going for 85 grand and climbing!!!! WOW

Apparently, those are bots desinged to troll the scalpers on eBay:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/398094/i-wrote-a-bot-to-inflate-scalper-prices-with-no-in/?ncid=afm-chs-44270&ranMID=44270&ranEAID=a1LgFw09t88&ranSiteID=a1LgFw09t88-1naumS.AQZ6krWcomJ6gvA

not all heroes wear capes

On 9/16/2020 at 4:35 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

The seller can record his package opening and then buyer is screwed. I am sure it is illegal.

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The seller can record his package opening and then buyer is screwed. I am sure it is illegal.

Wouldn't help, the entire ebay dispute process is automated / checklist.  "Did buyer provide a return tracking number" -> Yes -> Refund.

The seller could theoretically sue the buyer but good luck proving anything.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Wouldn't help, the entire ebay dispute process is automated / checklist.  "Did buyer provide a return tracking number" -> Yes -> Refund.

Yes, eBay might not care but the police and the lawyers will.

I personally had one case where a buyer didn´t want to pay until I threatened him with police.

14 minutes ago, Shizzmoney said:

eBay is such a scam. Are there reliable alternatives to that dumpster fire of a service?

"My Pascal friends, it's safe to upgrade now"

No buddy, you can simply go fuck yourself. My 1080Ti will stay in my PC for the next 3-4 years untill it's very outdated.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

43 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

No buddy, you can simply go fuck yourself. My 1080Ti will stay in my PC for the next 3-4 years untill it's very outdated.

Ummm he simply means that there is a big enough performance uplift this time. No one is trying to force you to upgrade

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Scalping is insane now-a-days. Being in the travel industry I see this a lot. It’s gotten so bad that Disney has started to identify scalpers and cancel their annual passes albeit while Disney allows maximum of “15” purchases of a about $20 popcorn bucket that ends up on eBay for double the price. Hell I’ve recently seen a 500 limited run $30 vinyl record sell on eBay at 600% the retail price. 

Honestly, eBay does need an option to report price gouging especially with the ability to insert documentation that shows it’s currently being sold and for what price and companies need a better way to ensure scalping is nipped in the bud. But until anyone actually cares, I don’t expect much. 

20 minutes ago, coasterghost said:

Scalping is insane now-a-days. Being in the travel industry I see this a lot. It’s gotten so bad that Disney has started to identify scalpers and cancel their annual passes albeit while Disney allows maximum of “15” purchases of a about $20 popcorn bucket that ends up on eBay for double the price. Hell I’ve recently seen a 500 limited run $30 vinyl record sell on eBay at 600% the retail price. 

Honestly, eBay does need an option to report price gouging especially with the ability to insert documentation that shows it’s currently being sold and for what price and companies need a better way to ensure scalping is nipped in the bud. But until anyone actually cares, I don’t expect much. 

Right... in the end, the vendors and manufacturers see units moving out the door... which is all their shareholders care about.  Which some will say, that is all that matters.

But it can interfere with long-term what is important however: customer experience.  It's not a good look that the only place you can see someone show off these cards are the big reviewers (no offense LTT team, u lucky &*$@#!).  Part of the success of tech products I feel is virality; the Wii did so well because one person gets one and ppl come over and play the bowling and went, "Wow, this is cool! I want one!".  That got scalped too... but at least some methods were put in to slow down that stuff and there were bottlenecks to it (mostly Nintendo's own goaling their supply chain lol).

Nvidia really screwed up today.  I feel it doesn't help to have stock just sitting in some dude's bedroom after he bought 40 of them to resell at 2-3x MSRP when it could be in a genuine person's hand who will want to buy more products because of it... and maybe more of your own.   But others will say, "a sale is a sale" and that's hard to argue, too.

The way scalping is done today is... its scummy.  It's organized.  It's always been scummy, but at least you could understand it because scalping will NEVER go away....but the botting I feel takes it to another level.  And I don't know if you can ever fix it.  The state has tried and failed (like everything else it does).