Apple Announces new iPad Air Design

NTDaws
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** Thread locked ***

You can continue discussion in event thread:

Apple is releasing a new iPad Air design, read below for more. 

Picture

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200915-122609_Opera.thumb.jpg.853e1fec38345a84af71e956b619511d.jpg

Apple is releasing a whole new iPad Air design, making the device a new and improved experience for the general user. The new iPad Air comes in two storage options, 64GB and 256GB. 256GB will be plenty of storage for the average user if you watch a lot of movies, do a lot of editing, or just general paperwork. The new iPad Air is essentially taking the design of the iPad Pro and making it a more ideal price for users. The new iPad Air is being replaced with a more mainstream USB - C port, capable at transferring data at up to 5 Gigabits per second. The iPad Air also includes Touch ID in the Sleep Button. Users will get to experience a new Stereo speaker setup in landscape mode (Same setup as the iPad Pro). The iPad Air will be releasing with a new A14 chip, capable of 40% more power then it's predecessor.

My thoughts

I like the new idea behind the iPad Air, it needed the upgraded. And I think a lot more people will be interested in the device because of its performance and 10 hour battery. Generally, if I hadn't have bought the iPad Pro, I would've bought this. I am impressed with it this year.

Sources

https://www.apple.com/ca/ipad-air/

The geek himself.

Finally they killed the homebutton on IPad 

thanks but the rim still looks a bit to wide in my opinion 

13 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

USB - C port, capable at transferring data at up to 5 Gigabits per second

Nice

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

6 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Yeah but personally I actually prefer the bigger rim, it just feels nicer in the hands, also cause I have big hands.

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Wheatly said:

Built In TouchID into the top button is pretty cool.

yeah, but since it’s possible, why not do it on iPhones? Would be nice with the pandemic and all.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

yeah, but since it’s possible, why not do it on iPhones? Would be nice with the pandemic and all.

The new iPhone 12 has not been announced yet, perhaps it will include it. I certainly hope so, would make unlocking much faster.

i7-7800x, 1080ti

Isn’t the spec eclipsing the iPad Pro? The new CPU and GPU sound like beasts - won’t they take salsa away from the 11” Pro with this? 

41 minutes ago, RRRuss said:

Isn’t the spec eclipsing the iPad Pro? The new CPU and GPU sound like beasts - won’t they take salsa away from the 11” Pro with this? 

Even if the cpu and GPU are more powerful. The iPad Pro is built for people who do a lot of content creation, editing, etc. The iPad Air was built more for Reading, Movies, Games, and more. I wouldn't wanna edit my content on a small iPad Air.

The geek himself.

And Apple launched the A14 chip first on an iPad, not on this year’s iPhone 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My only question:

"Is it priced high enough to keep it out of educational institutions?"

Because if it isn't, I'm going to quit my job. I'm not putting up with Apple products and dealing with Apple as a company, at work. We've done it in the past and it ALWAYS ends up being the biggest pain in the ass since hemorrhoids.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Something they glanced over. USB-C instead of lightning cable. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 hour ago, RRRuss said:

And actually the iPad pro is still faster with a 8 core cpu as opposed to the 6 core the a14 has. A12Z was built for workloads

The geek himself.

3 hours ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

And Apple launched the A14 chip first on an iPad, not on this year’s iPhone 

Announced first, they have not given a ship date or pre-order date yet they only said `in October`. Likly it will ship with the iPhones.

4 hours ago, RRRuss said:

won’t they take salsa away from the 11” Pro with this

Yes but that is a good thing, it is better to take sales away from one of your products that to sit on your hands and let a competitor take sales away from one of your products.

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

"Is it priced high enough to keep it out of educational institutions?"

Apple is pushing the `iPad` (non Air) for education at a very nice price. So you will have lots more iPads for sure to deal with... enjoy :)

7 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

Looks like Apple is finally embracing USB C! Just need the next iPhones to use it. Proprietary connectors are stupid.

Actually not.  In 5 years I've never used the lightning port for anything but charging or audio.  And lightning >>> USB C for both those tasks.  Lightning is just bulletproof durability.

Drives me nuts this idea of standardize for the sake of it.  That's how you end up with mediocrity across the board but at least it's standardized mediocrity.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Blue and Green 👀

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

9 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Apple is pushing the `iPad` (non Air) for education at a very nice price. So you will have lots more iPads for sure to deal with... enjoy :)

2Ube.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Will it work with the new iPencil?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

While I understand the desire to push everyone to gestures, it should not come at a cost of removing functionality users have come to expect, both from a familiarity and an accessibility point of view. While I do use some gestures on my iPad Mini 5 to navigate back/forward in Chrome, I still prefer pressing the home button once to return home, or double pressing it to bring up multitasking because my OnePlus 5T operates similarly when double tapping the task switching menu icon.

7 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

Looks like Apple is finally embracing USB C! Just need the next iPhones to use it. Proprietary connectors are stupid.

31 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And lightning >>> USB C for both those tasks.  Lightning is just bulletproof durability. Drives me nuts this idea of standardize for the sake of it. That's how you end up with mediocrity across the board but at least it's standardized mediocrity.

Both connectors are plenty durable enough if you take care of your devices. You know what drives me nuts? This idea of fragmenting connectivity among my devices for the sake of it. That's how you end up with consumers frustrated over carrying multiple cables around.

Apple & Digital Camera manufacturers everywhere: "USB-C is the future, it will interconnect everything... except for all the devices released today that we still haven't designed to use a USB-C port. For those, we're gonna need you to buy & carry around a bag of dongles."

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

well said

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

9 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Yeah but personally I actually prefer the bigger rim, it just feels nicer in the hands, also cause I have big hands.

Gotta say I agree with this as a frequent iPad user

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just based on the picture, this isn't a new design. Less the home button, this looks just exactly the same as my grandmothers from, 2015 maybe? 

In fact, as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a single major update to the iPad Airs design in the 7 years that the model line has existed.

I fail to see how Apple can ride the same basic design for 5 years and keep getting away with calling it new over and over again.

Sure the hardware has changed. But the box sure hasn't.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

10 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

They actually didn't kill the homebutton. The "new" iPad Air is considerably more expensive than the previous generation. Apple updated the "old" model and is keeping it as an entry level option - with a homebutton.

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Actually not.  In 5 years I've never used the lightning port for anything but charging or audio.  And lightning >>> USB C for both those tasks.  Lightning is just bulletproof durability.

Drives me nuts this idea of standardize for the sake of it.  That's how you end up with mediocrity across the board but at least it's standardized mediocrity.

When it comes to power delivery and a jew other things, USB-C is way ahead of the Lightning connector.

13 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Just based on the picture, this isn't a new design. Less the home button, this looks just exactly the same as my grandmothers from, 2015 maybe? 

In fact, as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a single major update to the iPad Airs design in the 7 years that the model line has existed.

I fail to see how Apple can ride the same basic design for 5 years and keep getting away with calling it new over and over again.

Sure the hardware has changed. But the box sure hasn't.

Mate it's a whole new iPad Air design. This is the first time there has been an iPad Air with no front home button, that's the difference 👌. So technically, they're not lying 😉.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, hishnash said:

Announced first, they have not given a ship date or pre-order date yet they only said `in October`. Likly it will ship with the iPhones.

Too bad that iPadOS 14 still doesn’t support display extending just like on PC and Mac:(

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside